Author Topic: Bitshares price discussion  (Read 886996 times)

Offline cryptillionaire

• View Profile
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,22317.msg290945.html#msg290945

I think the future is pretty clear for BTS:

1. work out the kinks with Steem
2. merge best parts of steem + BTS into a next generation DEX
3. sharedrop + dev allocation

It is just a much longer roadmap.

what do you guys think, bts buy out steem?
The last buyout of DNS + VOTE lead to none of their features being introduced to BTS. I don't think merging Steem into BTS to create a next gen rebranded BTS is a good idea, it's a digg clone that pays users for content.. I don't see how it has a place within a decentralized exchange platform?

If I can be 100% serious, the STEEM announcement was posted on April 1st and I legit took it for an april fools joke... whoops.

"[ANN] [STEEM] Introducing Steem, Looking for Witnesses / Miners « on: April 01, 2016, 05:04:47 PM »"

"We have secured ~80% of the initial STEEM via mining.  Our plan is to keep 20%, sell 20% to raise money, and give away 40% to attract users / referrers." So STEEM is premined and is being distributed by a central issuing authority? Where was the snapshot/sharedrop? Is Bitshare's past sharedrop theory/spirit dead? I think this is the bit that made me think it was an april fools joke, the terrible initial distribution model they chose lol.

RE: "3. sharedrop + dev allocation"
These proposed dev allocated funds, are these outwith the allocated shares for BTS/STEEM? Ie 90% BTS 7.5% STEEM and 2.5% dev funds? Isn't there already a sizable quantity of dev fund reserves in BTS? Considering STEEM has allocated themselves 20% are more dev funds neccessary?

Steem isn't present in the roadmap laid out for BTS, so how its future inclusion in BTS clear? https://bitshares.org/roadmap.html
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:19:43 am by cryptillionaire »

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo

An important moment for the price of BTS. If the swan dives,  the fall could be (far) beyond anyone's worst expectations.  It's worth noting the BTC volcano is rumbling again this week, and if it blows, all the alts will drop, bitcoin will inflate, and bts could post the mother of all ATLs.

On the other hand,  maybe the low 700s is the bottom and it's clear sailing from here.   ;)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:36:31 am by werneo »

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

The last thing you want is another merger.

After 5-6 months the current expensive merger will be over (which is releasing circa 50 BTC per week, with the largest merger recipients likely selling) That will be a HUGE saving which dwarfs BTS development costs. During that time BTS will also have hopefully found it's feet and will be funding some basic development, SmartCoin liquidity & hopefully at least 1 major feature.

Regards Steem, given what I currently know about the launch & structure I would expect it to decline significantly over that same period. (I also think despite their huge and obvious development talent, 'social + media' is one of CNX/BM/Stan's biggest areas of weakness, so unless the people behind Steemit are really phenomenal I view it as a bad match in that regard too.)

So the only way I can foresee a merger happening, is by BM essentially acknowledging Steem isn't very good and the only way to increase it's value is to say he will fork some of BTS onto Steem and that he will be adding some features BTS is lacking & use the threat of that to incentivize a merger to acquire a strong position in 3.0 however as usual this process will significantly destroy value and anyone invested in BTS will lose a ton, to the point even BM won't make a very large $ gain overall once the messy process is over. BTS will then also be hamstrung for another X years following that, depending on terms.

I very intentionally left any opinion out of my post. Wanted to see if somebody would validate my suspicions.

I agree, BTS buying steem would be very bad. steem buying into bts doesn't sound too bad though, though I wouldn't anticipate that. I hope the first scenario you described plays out. I sold a dramatic chunk of BTS, I have just a staple buy in, plus a bit vesting right now. Will buy in soon once I feel this whole situation out better.

Offline .

• View Profile
 +5%
That implies someone in the community needs to stand up and take up this leadership position.

Bitshares does not need a leader. YOU are the leader, take charge, build stuff :)
+5%
 +5% == 555%  +5%

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

The last thing you want is another merger.

After 5-6 months the current expensive merger will be over (which is releasing circa 50 BTC per week, with the largest merger recipients likely selling) That will be a HUGE saving which dwarfs BTS development costs. During that time BTS will also have hopefully found it's feet and will be funding some basic development, SmartCoin liquidity & hopefully at least 1 major feature.

Regards Steem, given what I currently know about the launch & structure I would expect it to decline significantly over that same period. (I also think despite their huge and obvious development talent, 'social + media' is one of CNX/BM/Stan's biggest areas of weakness, so unless the people behind Steemit are really phenomenal I view it as a bad match in that regard too.)

So the only way I can foresee a merger happening, is by BM essentially acknowledging Steem isn't very good and the only way to increase it's value is to say he will fork some of BTS onto Steem and that he will be adding some features BTS is lacking & use the threat of that to incentivize a merger to acquire a strong position in 3.0 however as usual this process will significantly destroy value and anyone invested in BTS will lose a ton, to the point even BM won't make a very large $ gain overall once the messy process is over. BTS will then also be hamstrung for another X years following that, depending on terms.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 11:54:10 am by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
That implies someone in the community needs to stand up and take up this leadership position.

Bitshares does not need a leader. YOU are the leader, take charge, build stuff :)
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Tuck Fheman

Lucksacks.com - The Largest Cryptocurrency Freeroll Poker Site in the World!

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

If anything, I think it would be STEEM buying out BitShares, or else they will come up with another new ring to rule them all. But I would not wager a dollar on either of these outcomes. Plans change frequently around here and he made it clear we are in for a long timetable; plenty of time for plans to change a few more times.

Offline fuzzy

Lol, nice pictures.

But the actual behind the scenes plan seems to be for the devs to abandon bitshares in favor of Steem. 

Then later Steem can die and they can abandon it in favor of something new, after taking more money from people.

Ander, are you off your m00n meds again? 

You should up your dosage before it's too late so you don't miss the train to FOMO-Town ... "this Summer"!

+5%
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
 :P I've drew a line ......
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube

edit: But Bitshares is weird in that the leader appears to have moved on to something else, and together with the stage the project is at (are there many other people that really understand the code, the architecture, the vision? correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so), that makes it a strange transition ..

ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline xh3

• View Profile
    • Bit-Cents
which is fine, good conditions for those who wish to accumulate.

Offline xh3

• View Profile
    • Bit-Cents
BM for some reason has an interest in keeping the share price low.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
BitShares has a lot going for it still, notably the entrepreneurs who are using its currency or blockchain. But I think it needs leadership to take it in a new direction. And I strongly question whether a disparate, decentralized community is capable of creating the consensus and acting decisively to truly fund the kind of mass adoption it deserves.

Well, it's definitely possible. All sorts of giant (and old) successful open-source projects are proof of that.

edit: But Bitshares is weird in that the leader appears to have moved on to something else, and together with the stage the project is at (are there many other people that really understand the code, the architecture, the vision? correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so), that makes it a strange transition ..