Author Topic: Cryptonomex? WTF is this?  (Read 44484 times)

Offline fuzzy

Seems like we should as a community spend some time finding ways to formulate and forge some agreements with cryptonomex, and should potentially consider the value of PTS/AGS as a means of ensuring competition fights for our community's value.  Let's face it, if there were, for some reason I truly believe will not emerge, an instance where the cryptonomex team leaves the community high and dry, that is the perfect place for competition to come in and sharedrop on us because they understand the value the community represents...and gain one hell of a backing overnight.

This was why I never left PTS.  Because it is silly to never consider the possibility that ANYTHING can happen...some think we shouldn't think about and protect against the worst possible situation but I am aways thinking we should. 

Take away? PTS and AGS remain very potent means of protecting investors...but only if the people who originally loved it remember why it was there in the first place.  Heck even BM and Stan told people a long time ago that PTS and AGS should still be seen as sharedropping targets.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:59:40 am by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I have a hard time following your reasoning, OP.

Cryptonomex is just like any other company and they do not have to answer you or anyone else.

It's perfectly fine to charge money for their work, if we do not pay them, they won't work for us.

Offline fuzzy

it should be also considered, that many inputs are coming from this community as well, so Crytpnomex will also benefit from it.

Except it is always possible that those community members would be asked to join Cryptonomex...

@mr bachman: precisely why I say I trust Dan.  To play devils advocate though, it would be a lie for me to say I've never personally been screwed over by trusting someone who I truly believed deserved said trust.  And let's face it-- the truth of the matter also is that we agreed from very early on that our funding the team was a donation.
Ultimately that means that we need to trust but verify. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:26:01 am by fuzzy »

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
What happens if Cryptonomex jumps the boat, someone else wants to continue the project, but CN will now not license graphene to the new group of devs?

I personally trust dan will not screw over our community like that...but have to admit that this question is well thought out.

Graphene is licensed to the Bitshares Blockchain and not to some coders, so the people taking over code use still the code base, but i assume the future developments of Cryptonomex would be out of this.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
bytemaster, will the community be able to invest in Cryptonomex directly through a BTS UIA?

It would be great to see Cryptonomex eat the BTS dogfood with something this important.

Additionally, would a sharedrop on the table for BTS, PTS or AGS holders?

Sharedropping on BTS holders is an interesting idea. It would make sense considering our investment is what made all this possible. It would also be another world first.

Dang method is on fire tonight...

would make perfect sense to sharedrop Cryptonomex stocks to BTS holders with xx%. Would align every interest on the same pass. Will Cryptonomex get rich, the BTS community will get a share as well. We are only talking the way that BTS will benefit from stuff coded for Cryptonomex clients, but it should be also considered, that many inputs are coming from this community as well, so Crytpnomex will also benefit from it.

Offline fuzzy

"If you want something done right you need to do it yourself".

We were all upset (at first) when Overstock.com decided to go with Counterparty. I was there when the announcement was made and the mood was disappointment rather than relief. Of course in hindsight it appears we dodged a bullet rather than miss an opportunity. Overstock.com was never going to IPO on Bitshares.

What better way to create a precedent than to form a company and do it yourself first?

It is much easier to change the system from the top than to be a poor idealogue preaching to the choir of a small group of followers/investors. First and foremost BTS needs to survive to have any chance of bringing meaningful change to the world.

I for one am thrilled with these new developments. It's about damn time the core team got paid!

Can't disagree, but at the same time I can honestly understand why people are concerned.

What happens if Cryptonomex jumps the boat, someone else wants to continue the project, but CN will now not license graphene to the new group of devs?

I personally trust dan will not screw over our community like that...but have to admit that this question is well thought out.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 09:10:23 am by fuzzy »

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Offline fuzzy

bytemaster, will the community be able to invest in Cryptonomex directly through a BTS UIA?

It would be great to see Cryptonomex eat the BTS dogfood with something this important.

Sharedropping on BTS holders is an interesting idea. It would make sense considering our investment is what made all this possible. It would also be another world first.

Dang method is on fire tonight...

Offline Riverhead

"If you want something done right you need to do it yourself".

We were all upset (at first) when Overstock.com decided to go with Counterparty. I was there when the announcement was made and the mood was disappointment rather than relief. Of course in hindsight it appears we dodged a bullet rather than miss an opportunity. Overstock.com was never going to IPO on Bitshares.

What better way to create a precedent than to form a company and do it yourself first?

It is much easier to change the system from the top than to be a poor idealogue preaching to the choir of a small group of followers/investors. First and foremost BTS needs to survive to have any chance of bringing meaningful change to the world.

I for one am thrilled with these new developments. It's about damn time the core team got paid!

Offline testz

This is simply what my post was implying. We funded AGS for a Bitshares toolkit. We got a merger to align all interests, retain the Devs through dilution and stifle competition. We now are told the toolkit is going to be retained as proprietary software for the Devs to sell and profit off after the same Devs crashed the price of BTSX nearly 95% (someone double check) from the highs for a merger so they, the Devs, can get paid.

The tens of millions of shares from AGS and paid dilution  should be plenty of incentive to get at least 1 stable version and a lengthy trial period in the books.

Looks like the crypto software development it's an more complicated then you think. Let's compare BitShares to Ethereum? How much they get funded and what they deliver after 1 year?

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
What would be really great is if proposals like this can be vetted and gradually released by the stakeholders.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
2M BTS is a perfectly reasonable amount for this privacy feature development that is Bytemasters 'first proposal'.  Thats less than 0.1% dilution. 
Thats several weeks of pay at current rates for the dev team, for a feature they are probably going to work on for several weeks.  This is a not a major change from how things are working right now.
Its probably a bit of paid worker funds diverted from marketers to devs, which we expect because we dont need marketing workers now with the referral program.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

We would love that, but there are strict rules in the US about who can invest in a private firm before it goes public.
We are working to find ways to bring fresh money into the ecosystem to help grow the value of the stake you are now HODLing!

In that sense, you already own a part of the combined meatspace/cryptospace enterprise in the only way it is legally possible to do so.

Meanwhile, we are working with our legal partners to make Cryptonomex into a test case for how to legally maximize how a flesh and blood company can project itself into cryptospace.  As we learn with ourselves as the guinea pigs, we will be better positioned to consult with other start-ups on how to follow the trail we are blazing.

And we plan to do it all centered on BitShares.  :)

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 05:02:27 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile

This is simply what my post was implying. We funded AGS for a Bitshares toolkit. We got a merger to align all interests, retain the Devs through dilution and stifle competition. We now are told the toolkit is going to be retained as proprietary software for the Devs to sell and profit off after the same Devs crashed the price of BTSX nearly 95% (someone double check) from the highs for a merger so they, the Devs, can get paid.

The tens of millions of shares from AGS and paid dilution  should be plenty of incentive to get at least 1 stable version and a lengthy trial period in the books.

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
To me the bottom line is that we have devs who have put us ahead of the technology curve with bitshares 2.0. Personally, i want to keep these devs and would be willing to pay a competitive rate to do so. The devs have to deliver of their proposals too if they want to get paid.

We are blessed with some talented folks as this week has shown.