Author Topic: Motivation Monday #2  (Read 1183 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Update

Now I've done the first 5! I've also done some others dispersed between depending on what I feel like. I didn't post one on Monday 12th June as I was on vacation in Turkey. Thanks to everyone who has been posting encouraging replies! I am doing this for myself above all, but I am happy that others find value in it.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Living Life On Our Own Terms

As free human beings we have a responsibility to ourselves and the world to grow and prosper instead of stagnating or decaying in our freedom. Ridding ourselves of bad habits and negative thoughts and seeking out the best environments to be free is only the first step to grow and prosper. To fully realize our own potential we must keep firmly in mind the natural drives that moves us as human beings and respect ourselves as embodied, visceral creatures with desires, needs and natural incentives.

From the self-help/motivation literature we find the following "baseline drives:"

Control, "The stability we cannot find in the world, we must create within our own persons." - Nathaniel Branden
Competence, "A person who doubts himself is like a man who would enlist in the ranks of his enemies and bear arms against himself" - Alexandre Dumas
Congruence, "Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." - Janis Joplin
Caring,"The more emotion we feel, the more care we give to ourselves and others." - Camilla Karlsen
Connection, "It is well to remember that the entire population of the universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." - John Andrew Holmes Jr.

The idea being that if either of these are not being satisfied, our brains and emotions will suffer, and it will be difficult to sustain motivation, energy and in general to live a healthy human life. In addition to the baseline drives are the "forward drives:"

Change, "When you're through changing, you're through." - Bruce Barton
Challenge,  "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valient never taste of death but once." - William Shakespeare
Creative Expression, "There is vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening, that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one you in all time, this expression is unique." - Martha Graham
Contribution, "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill
Consciousness, "The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - Henry Miller

The idea being that if either of these are not being satisfied, our brains and emotions will not be able to sustain motivation and high levels of energy in day to day life, and it will be difficult to reach a high level of life satisfaction, health or success over longer periods of time.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 12:44:21 am by CLains »