Author Topic: New accounts last 24h:  (Read 34045 times)

Offline Methodise

FFs.

I previously tried to register my own first name via the faucet, and the faucet swallowed the name. I lost that name.

Then, at 1:30 am on the 9th of June I scrambled to register approximately ten of my own current, active, trademarks, so as to avoid suffering any nasty 'prefix' junk. I chose to use my own BTS funds because:

I can fucking afford to pay my own fees; I don't need the faucet.

The faucet totally fucked up my registration of 'Harry' on the blockchain some months ago.

Please tell me I can keep my damn names. This deadline I'm hearing about the 8th - that got extended until the 17th? for Name Narwhal something... who registered $100 names using a faucet, sorry?  >:(

A little consideration/advice would be appreciated. I had two perfectly decent reasons for not using a faucet, using the faucet wasn't the requirement.. I'm feeling quite tested by the arbitrary and frenetic rule rewriting. Bitshares and block chain appeal lies in permanence.

I guess...congrats NameNarwhal for being the one and only name squatter who will get grandfathered into the new system!

Please do something with them.  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:35:34 am by Methodise »
BTS: methodise

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
I really don't get why everyone is being so nice towards this Narwhal character, he's an idiot who spammed the blockchain with useless account names hoping to one day profit from an even bigger idiot wanting to buy one of those useless account names. If it were up to me we'd just exclude his accounts from the migration but lucky for him I'm not in charge..

Squatters don't deserve any respect..

It was mentioned before but I feel compelled to say it again: NameNarWhal did NOTHING wrong. I have to counter svk's comments and others like his that imply he has done something bad. Moreover, it doesn't help to call people names like idiot.

+5%

Squatters are just property speculators.

Now that BTS property is transferrable, there will be speculators.

Charging 1/10 of 1 cent for half decent land in the most revolutionary financial country in the world was an error on our part.

I really don't get why everyone is being so nice towards this Narwhal character, he's an idiot who spammed the blockchain with useless account names hoping to one day profit from an even bigger idiot wanting to buy one of those useless account names. If it were up to me we'd just exclude his accounts from the migration but lucky for him I'm not in charge..

This is really where everyones heart is I believe.

However, BitShares is built on the entire premise of providing freedom and property for all. For us to simply take away after the fact is a rejection of his freedom and rights to use the system as it is, and was designed. This would in turn cause a ripple effect (pardon the pun) where people would question of transactions/actions taken in bitshares could be reversed on them later.

WELL SAID!  +5%

You guys must have missed the merger.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Thom

However, BitShares is built on the entire premise of providing freedom and property for all. For us to simply take away after the fact is a rejection of his freedom and rights to use the system as it is, and was designed. This would in turn cause a ripple effect (pardon the pun) where people would question of transactions/actions taken in bitshares could be reversed on them later.

There is hope though for those that want to see the dirty spammer staked and burned.

This is a community drive ecosystem. So later, if this guy thinks he will be able to start selling these names to people who want them without impunity the way you can with domain names now, because registrars couldn't care less as long as the fees are paid, he's got another thing coming.

We could very well create a proposal that puts limits on such actions. Or makes it a requirement for account holders of X # of accounts to have to pay out huge fees to maintain them.. or some other possibility I haven't thought of. The point is though, if some action is taken by him that gets on the communities radar in a bad way, we have a programmable way to take countermeasures to deal with it at the blockchain level.

So hopefully whatever the guy is doing is going to be on the up and up and be something that everyone doesn't mind seeing. If it's just a typical squatter play, well then, he will find out what happens in a DAC governed by a worldwide community that has little to no patience for anybody doing anything that abuses this baby.

So just wait and see.. hopefully we don't have to break out the pitchforks come 2.0. :)

WELL SAID!  +5%
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Thom

It was mentioned before but I feel compelled to say it again: NameNarWhal did NOTHING wrong. I have to counter svk's comments and others like his that imply he has done something bad. Moreover, it doesn't help to call people names like idiot.

If it is more costly to register these names or migrate them to 2.0 than the fees he was charged to do so, that should have been considered and thought through better. I see no reason to blame NameNarWhal for the lack of planning and forethought of CNX, or for that matter anyone else on this forum that had several days to see this possibility.

I think bytemaster took the appropriate reactionary steps to nip this oversight in the bud, and NameNarWhal agreed it was fair. So I say don't chastise someone for taking the entrepreneurial initiative and investing his time and money to try to earn a buck. If he fails, that's on him. If we try to enact some retroactive rule to cover our mistake that's on us. Not only does that set a bad precedent, it impugns our integrity. If we make a mistake that requires such action we'd better be able to show how NOT imposing such a retroactive rule would cause the ecosystem or actual people irreparable harm. Even if such action is deemed necessary restitution is owed to anyone that is damaged by the rule reversal.

As for fuzzy's comment that suggests it is a simple matter to fork the BitShares code and deploy it, get supporters, get delegates voted into place and witnesses to buy VPS nodes around the world and get them running and producing blocks, hire developers and find a way to pay them I gotta ask, where have you been all year? You make it sound so easy. Do you think such a plan is even remotely feasible? C'mon!
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

There is hope though for those that want to see the dirty spammer staked and burned.

This is a community drive ecosystem. So later, if this guy thinks he will be able to start selling these names to people who want them without impunity the way you can with domain names now, because registrars couldn't care less as long as the fees are paid, he's got another thing coming.

We could very well create a proposal that puts limits on such actions. Or makes it a requirement for account holders of X # of accounts to have to pay out huge fees to maintain them.. or some other possibility I haven't thought of. The point is though, if some action is taken by him that gets on the communities radar in a bad way, we have a programmable way to take countermeasures to deal with it at the blockchain level.

So hopefully whatever the guy is doing is going to be on the up and up and be something that everyone doesn't mind seeing. If it's just a typical squatter play, well then, he will find out what happens in a DAC governed by a worldwide community that has little to no patience for anybody doing anything that abuses this baby.

So just wait and see.. hopefully we don't have to break out the pitchforks come 2.0. :)
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
I think you're all missing a really critical question here.

Will The Narwhals be receiving some compensation from @NameNarwhal's name horde?

@NameNarwhal is usurping the noble name of the Narwahl for their own profit seeking, internet based enterprise, while the Narwhals very existence is being threatened through poaching, arctic oil exploration, and climate change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpSn6wicIck

Narwahls, to my knowledge, have not adopted the arcane human-built 'internet' protocol.  Preferring instead the original open source frequencies used by their species for the last ten million yearshttp://narwhalnewsnetwork.com/what-does-a-narwhal-sound-like/

So what will it be @NameNarwhal, what portion of your proceeds will you earmark for for the Narwhal Advocacy Coalition which you are about to found?

Not to mention if the Narwhal goes extinct, your brand name is going to be really sad... at that point you may as well just go with @DodoDomains.

Sorry pal, your name is now inexorably tied to the Narwhal.
Thanks in advance for saving the Narwhal, all the best!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:54:13 pm by bitscape »

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile

I tend to agree.

But excluding his accounts on migration would really be worst for Bitshares than having a squatter who has 30k-40k names registered. There would be a whole crew spamming out there against Bitshares on all the forums and medias, causing a lot of damages to Bitshares' image.

So basically he got away with because he found a loophole in the way the rules were set up. Good for him. Now let's just focus on making sure Bitshares' ship is tight and that kind of situation won't happen in the future.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline svk

Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
fuzzy - It was NameNarwhal who obtained all these names. They posted first here.

I wonder if @NameNarwhal would want to join a mumble session?

Sounds like a great idea.  A deal could be arranged where both parties are happy rather than just one.  Maybe we could pay him a certain amount via a worker proposal to find bugs like this in the future.  Everytime he(she?) finds a similar bug, maximize the leveraging of it to show the importance of it being fixed, then openly allow the change and be paid for finding it.  :)

+5%
It'd be excellent to achieve such an outcome. It's certainly worth discussing if NameNarwhal is willing.

By the way @NameNarwhal, in a mumble session you can do any combination of listen, type messages, and speak.

This is a quote from you and it's pretty positive.
I believe the BitShares system is the perfect base for a de-centralized DNS system. And I hope to contribute to that process - I have lots of experience with domain names and I'd like to support the community in making the BitShares namespace become more valuable. I'm clearly setting myself up to be interested in having that happen - I'm making an investment into BitShares.

The source for Graphene indicates that it may eventually become possible to use BitShares names as collateral. Think about it - if someone is running a business using a BitShares DNS name (or a future DNS-like system), that name is going to become valuable collateral. And if the system allows them to use it as collateral, the price of BitShares will start to become supported (indirectly) from assets outside of the BitShares system. I think that's extremely powerful and will be very good for BitShares community.

I have a way to - without overly bloating the blockchain - allow people to use their bitshares names for DNS and much more. And I look forward to discussing those ideas with all of you.

It'd be fantastic to hear more from you...
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

fuzzy - It was NameNarwhal who obtained all these names. They posted first here.

Sounds like a great idea.  A deal could be arranged where both parties are happy rather than just one.  Maybe we could pay him a certain amount via a worker proposal to find bugs like this in the future.  Everytime he(she?) finds a similar bug, maximize the leveraging of it to show the importance of it being fixed, then openly allow the change and be paid for finding it.  :)
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

Why should he surrender any names? This is a democratic system is it not? Surely if one person takes the liberty to spend or invest his coins in domains / username assets before anybody else then that is to his advantage. You snooze you lose.. We all have access to the same system as he does, why not register multiple names yourselves?

It has little to do with "democracy".  I see you are a new account--are you the one who did this?

Now with that said, I see no reason why we as a community couldnt expect to retroactively change the policy so each name registration costs a certain amount (which would need to be quite a bit more than it is at present).  Then we get the best of both worlds---if the guy (or girl) in question really wants alllll these accounts, then he/she will gladly pay the substantially increased amount for each.  Otherwise, he/she loses all accounts NOT registered under a new fee structure after a specified period of time. 

This becomes fair to both us and to the person who did this.  The fact of the matter is that we as a community have to make the decisions on how to move BitShares forward...and sometimes that will mean we have to make decisions that clean up mistakes that were once unknown but become obvious due to malicious use of the structures in place.  Why?  Because in the end if this person owns 100's of thousands of names, it neither helps the owner of all those accounts...nor does it help the BitShares environment. 

P.S.  If a 51% of the community makes a decision that 49% dislikes, it is quite easy for the 49% to simply fork and sharedrop in an inverse fashion (sharedrop of 51% for the minority holders in the other chain and 49% to the majority ones here) on the owners who voted with the minority.  So the minority could quite easily create another chain and reward in a way that makes the chain reflect certain rules.  "CapitalistShares" here we come!  And then he can keep said names that were registered there!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:46:03 pm by fuzzy »

Offline fuzzy

Interesting discussion.  Looks like one worth bringing up tomorrow.  Something here needs fixed. 

We should be prepared for things like this in the future because it will not doubt require a worker payment proposal to get fixes such as these implemented.  We should also ensure we have people paid "in house" to try to fix common issues like these...

This thread right here could take up an entire hangout i'm thinking.

For instance--what happens if people start having us pay them to integrate certain things, but intentionally provide backdoors that only a select few know about--thus affecting the network security?  Or implementing changes that give them substantial benefits over others moving into the future?  Naturally they would try to get paid for this as well, acting as though said changes only have one effect---a beneficial one. 

So:
1) we should hire workers with the expectation that we might have to fire them
2) we should have workers who are trusted within the community who are here to fix issues if someone gets a worker proposal to change something, which turns out to have negative consequences---and rather than fixing it, they leave. 

This is stuff our community should be considering.  What happens if Bytemaster and the crew 3-4 years from now no longer have the desire to fix these problems due to any number of issues?   Will it happen?  Maybe not...maybe so.  We should regardless begin thinking now about this type of stuff...or potentially suffer from some of the same issues we see Bitcoin suffering from today. 

One thing is for sure--we have the basic infrastructure to solve these problems by consensus.  Which is FAR improved from the current design of Bitcoin, where people like Gavin can make decisions themselves.  This is one good thing about Bytemaster and the team starting to step away as the sole potential team of contributors who can work on and improve BitShares as a platform. 

And we have no shortage of people who can help...and are trusted members of the community ;)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat