Author Topic: 50 PTS Bounty - Fix PTS Synchronization Time Issues [PAID]  (Read 25895 times)

Offline bytemaster

Seems Freetrade has it under control. But now we have branch issues, bytemaster i think that is your que.

FreeTrade has permissions on the repository.  As my head is not in the code it would probably be better for him to merge it.

Make sure we increment the version number for this build.  We overlooked that and people complained last time.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline barwizi

• Noirbits, NoirShares, NoirEx.....lol, noir anyone?
    • View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
Seems Freetrade has it under control. But now we have branch issues, bytemaster i think that is your que.
--Bar--  PiNEJGUv4AZVZkLuF6hV4xwbYTRp5etWWJ

The magical land of crypto, no freebies people.

Offline super3

• View Profile

First of all there is an issue that I have observed.  The fix requires providing a new binary with free trades churn arg.  As I do not have time nor a windows machine to produce the binaries and our other devs are busy it is easily worth $1000 to save our time. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to point out that I feel this is not in the spirit of the bounty, the bounty is for a fix for synchronization time. That i completed on my second try. FreeTrade then mentioned that he has a util "churn" and you asked that it be added, which i did, but that was already past the "fix" as you did not mention the need for windows or osx in the OP. All further work such as providing binaries and other patches is separate and was done on request, it is up to you whether you wish to pay for it but i feel the terms of this bounty have been met.

Totally agree, most of the work we did was for stuff tacked on as the thread evolved.

As for windows build, it is not part of the bounty but i will try to get the dependencies nw that i have a windows machine and try my hand at it. Which version of boost is necessary by the way?

Check out doc/build-msw.md
I worked on formatting those Bitcoin docs at some point. I can tell you most of that content is probably incorrect or out of date.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
As a sanity check, is this your seed nodes list?

Code: [Select]
static const char *strMainNetDNSSeed[][2] = {
    {"49.89.6.185", "49.89.6.185"},
    {"222.174.212.250", "222.174.212.250"},
    {"183.8.183.73", "183.8.183.73"},
    {"173.208.148", "173.208.148"},
    {"169.237.74.213", "169.237.74.213"},
    {"175.42.27.186","175.42.27.186"},
    {"162.243.197.231", "162.243.197.231"},
    {NULL, NULL}
};

We're not working on master, but on psforkinit

https://github.com/nmushegian/ProtoShares/tree/psforkinit

No idea why it's this way, I just went with what the invictus repo is doing
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Hmm, looks like github hasn't been updated with anything in 3 weeks - let me know it's updated and I'll try to compile again. I don't want to get drawn into source control or editing as I'm busy with MemoryCoin.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline toast

• View Profile
on 162.243.197.231
root      2232  0.5 16.3 819396 167068 ?       SLsl Dec28   7:18 ./bitcoind -daemon -churn
root@seedpts1:~# ProtoShares/src/bitcoind getinfo
{
    "version" : 80600,
    "protocolversion" : 70001,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 36478,
    "timeoffset" : 0,
    "connections" : 38,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 0.00994143,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1388266820,
    "keypoolsize" : 101,
    "paytxfee" : 0.01000000,
    "errors" : ""
}
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
As a sanity check, is this your seed nodes list?

static const char *strMainNetDNSSeed[][2] = {
    {"49.89.6.185", "49.89.6.185"},
    {"222.174.212.250", "222.174.212.250"},
    {"183.8.183.73", "183.8.183.73"},
    {"173.208.148", "173.208.148"},
    {"169.237.74.213", "169.237.74.213"},
    {"175.42.27.186","175.42.27.186"},
    {"162.243.197.231", "162.243.197.231"},
    {NULL, NULL}
};

We're not working on master, but on psforkinit

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
So I compiled, but the new version isn't finding any nodes after 10 minutes.

I think you need to remove all the old/dead/full nodes from net.cpp and only include ones that are running with -churn
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Let's try freetrade first, gonna pm him now

Yes, I'll do this later today when I get a few moments.

Offline toast

• View Profile
Let's try freetrade first, gonna pm him now

Offline bytemaster

I am aware of the risks regarding who builds the client.   

If you want me to pull our windows devs from keyhotee to build it then I will ask them to estimate a rate.  Otherwise I think freetrade will do it for a reasonable share.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Offline toast

• View Profile
bytemaster, who built the previous versions of the windows client?

Offline barwizi

• View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org
C:\ProtoShares-psforkinit\ProtoShares-psforkinit\src>make -f Makefile.Release
Makefile.Release:194: *** missing separator.  Stop.

this is where i am stuck making the windows build now.

Offline barwizi

• View Profile
    • Noirbitstalk.org

this is ridiculous, there never was an issue to begin with

while you're bust distributing money to people that have done absolutely nothing, i've been running a dedicated node for a month

"version" : 80600,
    "protocolversion" : 70001,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 36221,
    "timeoffset" : -1,
    "connections" : 375,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 0.01203577,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1384922232,
    "keypoolsize" : 6,
    "paytxfee" : 0.01000000,
    "errors" : ""

the solution was obvious, fix the seed node list

i have noticed i've been getting more connections lately.  i'd hate to be a source of free money for someone that's done two things:  jack and shit.  so if i find that it's on a new seed node list, i'll take it down

First of all there is an issue that I have observed.  The fix requires providing a new binary with free trades churn arg.  As I do not have time nor a windows machine to produce the binaries and our other devs are busy it is easily worth $1000 to save our time. 

I'd like to point out that I feel this is not in the spirit of the bounty, the bounty is for a fix for synchronization time. That i completed on my second try. FreeTrade then mentioned that he has a util "churn" and you asked that it be added, which i did, but that was already past the "fix". You did not mention the need for windows or osx in the OP. All further work such as providing binaries and other patches is separate and was done on request, it is up to you whether you wish to pay for it but i feel the terms of this bounty have been met.

In response to ZVS, the difference between you having a permanent seed node, and my Hard-coding them into the client is that my fix affects everyone, it meets the requirement. Instead of having to either browse through threads for addnodes or waiting for the client to discover on it's own, it will just start by connecting to an always on node, which greatly shortens the time required to sync.

As for windows build, it is not part of the bounty but i will try to get the dependencies nw that i have a windows machine and try my hand at it. Which version of boost is necessary by the way?

As part of the fix, i think i may as well include a checkpoint since I don't think we need daily builds. Osx is another thing altogether, toast, can you try it out?

It probably wouldn't be hard to copy it out of bitcoin's code, right?  lol.

bitcoin-seeder updated regularly & peer receiving this information via DNS request, http://luke.dashjr.org/programs/bitcoin/files/charts/seeds.txt

the current seed nodes provided are either down or full.  that is why people have problems.

besides that, a tip:  in main.cpp,  the timeout delays in "Inactivity Checking" are way too long

lol, last i heard PTS was based on bitcoin. and for some it's not so easy. i was just lucky that it was something i had read somewhere and knew how to find it. As for the bitcoin seeder....i see no relevance to the PTS chain.

the whole vps always on seednode thing + churn sweetens the pot.