Author Topic: Being able to "Quote" any post even if it is in a locked thread  (Read 3192 times)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
let me check if there is a way to achieve this!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Riverhead

You just need to cut and paste the text and use the [ quote ] [ /quote ] tags. The opening tag takes link, topic, and date parameters.

Yeah, that's the hack I have to do sometimes. But it's really annoying if you use a lot of markup. For example, I would have to re-implement things like lists, links, and emphasis. It would be really convenient if I could just get the original markup of any post regardless of whether it is in a locked thread or not.

Understood and I agree. It's the sort of thing after I posted it I thought...he probably knows all this already. Maybe someone will find it useful :).

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
You just need to cut and paste the text and use the [ quote ] [ /quote ] tags. The opening tag takes link, topic, and date parameters.

Yeah, that's the hack I have to do sometimes. But it's really annoying if you use a lot of markup. For example, I would have to re-implement things like lists, links, and emphasis. It would be really convenient if I could just get the original markup of any post regardless of whether it is in a locked thread or not.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 03:10:05 am by arhag »

Offline Riverhead

Could we modify SMF (or is there an existing way) to get the markup of a post (the stuff you see when you Quote it) even if it is in a locked thread? Sometimes I find I want to reference a part of an old post but I can't (without trying to recreate the markup) because the thread has since been locked.

This could also then make it possible to write a bot to backup all of a user's posts which is something I am interested in (anyone know of an existing bot compatible with SMF that would do that?).

Code: [Select]

[ quote author=arhag link=topic=17310.msg220328#msg220328 date=1435623319]

Example:
Quote from: arhaq
I never said this!

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
Could we modify SMF (or is there an existing way) to get the markup of a post (the stuff you see when you Quote it) even if it is in a locked thread? Sometimes I find I want to reference a part of an old post but I can't (without trying to recreate the markup) because the thread has since been locked.

This could also then make it possible to write a bot to backup all of a user's posts which is something I am interested in (anyone know of an existing bot compatible with SMF that would do that?).