Author Topic: Charts for total cryptocurrency market cap?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
and market cap shot over $5B with last week's LTC-led insanity.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

I've been watching it and the total market cap doesn't seem to correlate too tightly with the volume. In fact during the last pump the total market cap actually went down - which isn't surprising since a pumper needs to cash out.

And you are totally correct about fundamentals investing not being a factor. It's just a big game of follow the money and don't be a bag holder.

really? i could have sworn that the market cap surged about USD 0.5B during the last pump. it'd be great to see this state published somewhere...

Yeah I think Riverhead is wrong on both counts.

BTC went from 3.4 Billion to 4.4 Billion between 26th June (Greferendum announced, capital controls) to 12th of July (Bailout deal offered). Considering the rest of the altcoin market isn't even worth a billion, it's not possible the total went down  :)

https://blockchain.info/charts/market-cap?timespan=30days&showDataPoints=false&daysAverageString=1&show_header=true&scale=0&address=

It also tracked the situation in Greece pretty much to a tee and Bitcoin reacted exactly how you'd expect a safe haven limited currency to perform. (As did the currencies on the exchanges people closest to the affected area used the most - btce)

Once a deal was accepted that was likely to go through, Bitcoin declined and then once again after the bailout was approved by Greek parliament.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:19:16 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

I've been watching it and the total market cap doesn't seem to correlate too tightly with the volume. In fact during the last pump the total market cap actually went down - which isn't surprising since a pumper needs to cash out.

And you are totally correct about fundamentals investing not being a factor. It's just a big game of follow the money and don't be a bag holder.

really? i could have sworn that the market cap surged about USD 0.5B during the last pump. it'd be great to see this state published somewhere...

Offline Riverhead

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
i'd also be interested in that new feature in case you reach out to coinmarketcap.

Offline pioneer

• View Profile
I would suggest it as a new feature to the coinmarketcap dev. He's been responsive in the past at least. I don't know of any other site I'm afraid.

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
Are there any charts that would tell how much the total market cap of all cryptocurrencies has evolved over time?

The current total market cap can be found in coinmarketcap.com, but it is only for the present moment – no chart is displayed.

It would be interesting to know how much new money has been flowing in to the whole crypto market. My guess is that the flow has been quite small recently. Price movements are mostly just speculators trying to guess what currencies are going up relative to others – so the currencies are traded against each other, not much new money is coming in.

A lot of the market activity seems to be short term speculation and pumpdumping. That might explain why bitshares price has been so low. Not that many traders are doing fundamental analysis and investing in the long term.