Author Topic: Ethereum argues for 115,000 TPS  (Read 6660 times)

Offline bytemaster

all of the down sides of sharding. 

What are the downsides of sharding besides the obvious ones?

In V's blog about the hypercube approach the cost is confirmation time.    The other problem is that everyone focuses on scalability of TRANSFERS while ignoring the issue of scalability of MARKETS or "smart contracts in general".
Can you say what the limitations of "stacking" are (see also https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17671.msg225225.html#msg225225 )?

The model presented assumes there isn't high sequential contention on the same data.   I don't believe it will work in practice.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile

In V's blog about the hypercube approach the cost is confirmation time.    The other problem is that everyone focuses on scalability of TRANSFERS while ignoring the issue of scalability of MARKETS or "smart contracts in general".
Can you say what the limitations of "stacking" are (see also https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17671.msg225225.html#msg225225 )?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:39:33 pm by delulo »

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:34:01 pm by Erlich Bachman »
You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
Using a sharding approach bts could also increase its tps linearly with the number of shards.   

Our pre-optimized code can process 180,000 on average hardware.   Upgrade the cpu and add a few optimizations and I bet bts hits 500000 tps without all of the down sides of sharding. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
So we have test nets that don't break a sweat at 500 tps and theirs max out at 40.   

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
"
No, this is long term Ethereum research and development Skunk Works kind of stuff. Highest txps we've reached on the current implementation is 40.
The work the researchers are doing now is for future iterations of Ethereum in 1/2 years or so.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
next news ripple will be able to handle 115,001 tps
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
I wish ethereum would work more closely with bitshares.  I wonder if they might reconsider merging with bitshares.....would be great for both projects.
IMHO, at least our consensus scheme is superior

Certainly seems that way (i love our devs,) but I would take a lot more joy out of any success bitshares may have in the future if we are able to take a bunch of great, smart people with us and many thousands of their community members.  I don't want bitshares to succeed and ethereum or any other genuine project to fail.  If every major or interesting project decided to sharedrop on every other right now, that would be just the best......even though I believe bitshares has a leading edge.

Offline testz

To be fair, our 100k tps is also theoretical.  I think we're quite a bit closer to implementation than etherium.  Either way we have no where near the demand for 100k tps .

At least BitShares 100k TPS was tested in ideal network environment.
Sure in real life it's will be less but at least we know it's possible and will work.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I wish Ethereum would work.

TPS are their least concern as far as I know.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I wish ethereum would work more closely with bitshares.  I wonder if they might reconsider merging with bitshares.....would be great for both projects.
IMHO, at least our consensus scheme is superior

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I wish ethereum would work more closely with bitshares.

+5%
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Shouldnt we, as the cryptoland dwellers, first reach 1k TPS first as a milestone. I mean what TPS does bitcoin process? seven??

The question is what TPS do we need in the foreseeable future. This 115k transactions thing seems to be no more than a pissing contest to me. What do you think?

Pissing contest. That's the only possible explanation for the announcement.

totally