Author Topic: Announcing Brownie Points (BROWNIE.PTS)  (Read 129685 times)

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
it's beyond me how ungrateful some of you are. if a developer decides to sharedrop on us, first thing ANYONE should do is thank them and encourage them. how they sharedrop is their business, no idea how and why some think they have the right to interfere.

+5%

You have been given a gift, and some are upset because they don't think the gift has been equitably distributed.

Lets assume there are two beggars standing next to each other on the street.  Someone walks up to the first one, and hands him a a $20 bill.  Then turns to the second beggar and hands him a $100 bill.

First of all is this a fair distribution of funds?  Yes it is.  As long as the money belonged to the giver.  Regardless of the reason chosen by the giver to distribute this way.
Should beggar number one feel Jealous?  I probably would.
Does beggar number two owe anything to beggar number one?  I would say no.
Should beggar number one whine complain and demand equal dispensation?  what do you think?

One of the differences in your example is that the gift then becomes the property of the beggars.

With BROWNIES whether they were gifted/bought/other,  they can be taken away anytime by your master, for expressing any free speech/dissent regards their issuance or for any trivial reason at all. 

I may reward them (or not) as I see fit, in the amounts I see fit, for the reasons I see fit.   I may also seize brownie points from any account if you fall out of favor and anyone who complains in any way about how Brownie Points are issued or how I use Brownie Points is certainly not in my favor and may lose any Brownie Points they have earned.

It reminds me a little of a voluntary slavery contract actually  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_slavery

Voluntary slavery (or self-sale) is the condition of slavery entered into at a point of voluntary consent.
Since the slave loses his status as a moral agent once the slave contract is enforced, the slave cannot act to enforce anything owed to him by his master

Perhaps a poor analogy, but regardless, how any free man, could subjugate himself to the terms & conditions of BROWNIES is beyond me.

If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
it's beyond me how ungrateful some of you are. if a developer decides to sharedrop on us, first thing ANYONE should do is thank them and encourage them. how they sharedrop is their business, no idea how and why some think they have the right to interfere.

Considering that they are using the technology that BTS shareholders paid for, we damn well are entitled to a drop.
of at least 20%.  Which has been done.

Its really only 10% of total supply.  Its 20% of initial supply.

So the question is.  If a DPOS coin allocates 20% of genesis to BTS, but then inflates total supply does it still meet the social consensus? 

Depending upon the timeline of the inflation I would lean towards yes.

What does everyone else think?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

Considering that they are using the technology that BTS shareholders paid for, we damn well are entitled to a drop.

Its really only 10% of total supply.  Its 20% of initial supply.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline puppies

• View Profile

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline Thom

+5%

You have been given a gift, and some are upset because they don't think the gift has been equitably distributed.

Lets assume there are two beggars standing next to each other on the street.  Someone walks up to the first one, and hands him a a $20 bill.  Then turns to the second beggar and hands him a $100 bill.

First of all is this a fair distribution of funds?  Yes it is.  As long as the money belonged to the giver.  Regardless of the reason chosen by the giver to distribute this way.
Should beggar number one whine complain and demand equal dispensation?  what do you think?

That's a perfect analogy puppies. I don't think either beggar has any rational basis for complaint. It boils down to envy and jealousy, not gratitude for receiving a gift that benefits the recipient.

The fact that anyone has complained here is indicative of how well the philosophy of communism, entitlement and political correctness has been indoctrinated into society.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline puppies

• View Profile

+5%

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
   John found it to be the best available mailing list for what he wanted to do.

Yeah, and I'm sure you had nooooothing to do with it, right? Instead of negotiating a 20% drop on shareholders, as per the original social contract, you negotiated 10 % to the community and 10% to your private coin where you own 100% of the supply (or 99% of the potential future supply if you don't count Brownies released to date as yours). Doesn't anyone else see this as a serious breach of confidence?

To clarify: I don't actually believe you'll release 3 billion Brownies to yourselves prior to the snapshot, but I am sure that you'll try to get away with as much as the marks will let you.

It was John's decision.  I pointed it out to him as an option when he explained what he wanted to accomplish.

The numbers are 20% to BTS and 20% to Brownie.PTS in the genesis supply.  Read up on Proof of Appreciation at IDentabit.com to understand how a fixed amount of limited new supply is trickled into circulation (like Bitcoin and BitShares) but in such a way as to preserve value for genesis hodlers.   No appreciation -- no new supply.

You can choose to view Brownies as a private coin or as a suggested list of Founders deserving shares based on an expert assessment of relative contribution to the company being formed.  How do you think any private company allocates shares among its Founders?

Ultimately, John is the decider.  If he doesn't like how the Brownie distribution is evolving he can always make adjustments.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:30:11 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Offline phillyguy

I think a lot of people are looking at this from the wrong perspective. 

From the perspective of a developer I think brownies are a great sharedrop target.  Its a short list of active crypto enthusiasts that have helped the bitshares community in some way,  and can articulate that.  Is it an exhaustive list?  No of course not.  Is it fair?  That depends on how you feel about people doing what they want with their own property.

I know if I was developing a coin it is a list of people I would want to get involved in my coin.

well said.

let's try to focus on the projects rather than what we're getting out of them (i say that because i genuinely believe everyone here will be ok if they see this thing through.....what's of far greater importance are all those poor people who are trying to send money to their families and getting their legs cut out from under them.)

+5% fair point.

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox
   John found it to be the best available mailing list for what he wanted to do.

Yeah, and I'm sure you had nooooothing to do with it, right? Instead of negotiating a 20% drop on shareholders, as per the original social contract, you negotiated 10 % to the community and 10% to your private coin where you own 100% of the supply (or 99% of the potential future supply if you don't count Brownies released to date as yours). Doesn't anyone else see this as a serious breach of confidence?

To clarify: I don't actually believe you'll release 3 billion Brownies to yourselves prior to the snapshot, but I am sure that you'll try to get away with as much as the marks will let you.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo

From the perspective of a developer I think brownies are a great sharedrop target.  Its a short list of active crypto enthusiasts that have helped the bitshares community in some way,  and can articulate that.  Is it an exhaustive list?  No of course not.  Is it fair?  That depends on how you feel about people doing what they want with their own property.

I know if I was developing a coin it is a list of people I would want to get involved in my coin.

well said.

let's try to focus on the projects rather than what we're getting out of them (i say that because i genuinely believe everyone here will be ok if they see this thing through.....what's of far greater importance are all those poor people who are trying to send money to their families and getting their legs cut out from under them.) 

Offline puppies

• View Profile

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
How do we balance this with the sharedrop that Bitshares dev core team gets from inflation?  They will get to double dip in both Brownie Pts and the newly minted BTS.  This can yet be another controversial piece.

Brownie Points seem to be a lot like an artist coin, to create a fandom around Bytemaster. It's a good idea in principle, but an experiment in practice because as far as I know it hasn't been done before.

If people want to sharedrop on Brownie Points they have a right to do so, even if it's just Bytemasters friends sharedropping on each other. At the same time if you've got social connections, and are in a position to convince someone to sharedrop on the Bitshares community, you can always have them use your brownie points to sharedrop on that in addition to the mainline Bitshares community.

I actually think the diversity is good, and it would only be a bad thing if Brownie Points replaced BTS entirely as the sharedrop target but that isn't happening. This means if you can convince another community or if you yourself can sharedrop on this community, you can favor Brownie Points, you can favor your own Candles, or whatever you want, and these experiments don't hurt because beyond the minimum social consensus %, the Bitshares community isn't owed anything.

I think most people would be better with brownies as a share drop target if BM didn't have absolute control.  Being able to give them out is one thing, but being able to take them away is completely different.  I trust BM now, but he is human and even the best people have sacrificed their beliefs for money, power, or avoidance of jail.  Under some sort of threat, Dan could go and retract all Brownies from everyone...

Brownie Points haven't completely replaced all other sharedrop targets. I would understand your concern if Brownie Points completely replaced BTS or any other metric for all future sharedrops but that isn't the case.

The whole point it seems of Brownie Points is for Dan to reward the loyalty of his social network and I can't say I blame him. I have a token to do the exact same thing which I haven't yet put to use.

For sake of thought experiment, suppose in the future I'm able to negotiate a deal which results in another community adopting DPOS 2.0 and sharedropping onto this community?

If I negotiated the deal then if 5% goes to LGC then LGC would have value.  It would be a very effective way to motivate me to bring as many people onto DPOS 2.0 as I can, and to be loyal to the Bitshares community, but most loyal to the people who hold LGC, which I can give out to whomever.

Any developer or team of developers can sharedrop to any combination of demographics they choose.  It has always been that way.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:03:36 pm by luckybit »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I think most people would be better with brownies as a share drop target if BM didn't have absolute control.  Being able to give them out is one thing, but being able to take them away is completely different.  I trust BM now, but he is human and even the best people have sacrificed their beliefs for money, power, or avoidance of jail.  Under some sort of threat, Dan could go and retract all Brownies from everyone...

There should be some sort of table or rubric that explains how brownies are earned.  For example how much is pumping your investment in a forum and saying  +5% +5% worth in comparison to what Arhag did with programming?  I got paid 300 Brownies for setting up an interview with FXStreet. How does that compare to contributing on the programming side, which BM seems to favor?  There is so much fog and so much discrepancy which makes them unsuitable as a target.

That would be a different demographic mailing list that someone could choose to develop and manage.  If it existed, perhaps a developer would choose it.

Brownie.PTS is what it is.   John found it to be the best available mailing list for what he wanted to do.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:00:08 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.