Author Topic: Announcing Brownie Points (BROWNIE.PTS)  (Read 129720 times)

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
The problem:
  • This thread is now 'hidden' well away from the limelight (BitShares Forum » BitShares » Trading & Speculation » User Issued Assets (UIA) » Re: Announcing Brownie Points (BROWNIE.PTS) )

I think a locked sticky with a link to this thread would be best.

With a flashing red light animated gif shaped like the Brownie Point icon and arrows that jump up and down and highlighted capitalized text that glows and blinks while scrolling!!?
=b

What on Earth is wrong with you ?!

You neglected to mention the bells and whistles...
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Tuck Fheman

The problem:
  • This thread is now 'hidden' well away from the limelight (BitShares Forum » BitShares » Trading & Speculation » User Issued Assets (UIA) » Re: Announcing Brownie Points (BROWNIE.PTS) )

With a flashing red light animated gif shaped like the Brownie Point icon and arrows that jump up and down and highlighted capitalized text that glows and blinks while scrolling!!?
=b

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I see potential for a significant number of people in the BitShares community to become upset in the future, and further potential for this to harm the progress of BitShares a little if people feel too upset.

The problem:
  • There may be people who are not yet aware of brownies who would be 'eligible' (e.g. did a lot of work but weren't around when this thread was prominent). Have brownies been announced sufficiently on other language boards?
  • People may say, "The brownie club was set up and hidden before I knew about it, and now a few people have too much money/ power/ control with x, y, z...".

Possible solutions:
  • Put a sticky somewhere more prominent with a link to this thread
  • Send a P.M. to all forum members
  • Anything else to raise awareness

Of course brownies have proved a bit controversial so people will argue that they have no automatic right to a prominent place in the forum.
You could say that bytemaster obviously has some plans for their use which will benefit  those who've played a role in growing BitShares. Therefore it's in the interest of people on this forum to be made more aware of brownies...

What's the best balance here, i.e. where should brownies fit in with BitShares and in particular this forum?

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
I see potential for a significant number of people in the BitShares community to become upset in the future, and further potential for this to harm the progress of BitShares a little if people feel too upset.

The problem:
  • There may be people who are not yet aware of brownies who would be 'eligible' (e.g. did a lot of work but weren't around when this thread was prominent). Have brownies been announced sufficiently on other language boards?
  • People may say, "The brownie club was set up and hidden before I knew about it, and now a few people have too much money/ power/ control with x, y, z...".

Possible solutions:
  • Put a sticky somewhere more prominent with a link to this thread
  • Send a P.M. to all forum members
  • Anything else to raise awareness       edit: more accurately, to ensure that there persists some relatively prominent avenue to enable discovery

Of course brownies have proved a bit controversial so people will argue that they have no automatic right to a prominent place in the forum.
You could say that bytemaster obviously has some plans for their use which will benefit  those who've played a role in growing BitShares. Therefore it's in the interest of people on this forum to be made more aware of brownies...

What's the best balance here, i.e. where should brownies fit in with BitShares and in particular this forum?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:19:52 pm by hadrian »

Offline EstefanTT

The BitShares French ConneXion has been quite busy those last 3 month !!!

In the beginning of our project, we were using the most simple form of website (a web builder/hoster without any need of HTML/CSS coding knowledge) as we were busy translating BitShares 101.

We encountered a lot of problems ; the site was loading very … VERY slowly, we couldn’t have any decent forum in it, any modifications had to be available in the pre-built templates because any other change was just not possible and you could not even implement a little script in PHP.

We soon realised that in order to pursue our main goal, being the link, the connexion between french speaking persons and this community, we had to do it better, we needed something able to evolve through time (something capable of growing in parallel with the growth of BTS), something stronger, faster: we needed BitShares French ConneXion 2.0 … ;p

In early june ... around the 8th ;p, we felt it was the right time to react ! One of our member started learning HTML, CSS and some notions of PHP in order to build a completely new web site. Not saying that this is no easy thing doing it from scratch and even more on your spare time.

The rest of us translated all the available information at bitshares.org. all the detailed elements of the BitShares 2.0 but also the news from the blog section. 

We also have a fresh new forum on the web site. You may notice some familiarities with this one ;) Our goal is absolutely not to divide the main community with some french people here and there. On the contrary, we want to provide a welcoming place for the part of the french community who feels more comfortable with french information and communication. And we want as many people as we can get to be part of this revolution.

We provide all the main  documentation up-to-date in french :

101 BitShares
The Flyer
The trifold
The infographic
BTS 2.0 Features

We created severals articles to introduce Cryptocurrencies and BitShares for newbies.

We finished it all a couple of days ago and we are online since yesterday but we won’t do too much noise until BitShares 2.0 will be released as we don’t want to complicate a newcomer’s experience with a soon to be obsolete 0.9 version. We are now completely ready to grow a big and healthy french community around BitShares 2.0 as soon as it get live.

We made the official announcement in the French section :

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18393.0.html

Here you will find the same one in English :

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18392.0.html

We also posted this here because … well …  it has been a lot of work to achieve it and we thought that … maybe … in a perfect world … in his infinite kindness, BM may think that this is worth some Brownies ...

Feel free to visit us, any feedback will be very much appreciated !

http://www.bitsharesfcx.com/
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Tuck Fheman

I have sent out brownies to about 10 more people today.

Thanks Dan!

Offline bytemaster

I have sent out brownies to about 10 more people today. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

I just caught up with everyone who posted here through thursday.  I will be sending out brownie pts weekly after the mumble sessions in batches.   We are getting more organized now.

I apologize for everyone I missed previously.   Thanks!

i posted for nearly a month and no brownie.pts so far

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17354.msg228595.html#msg228595

this is the reason why i ask for a list, so it would be easier to keept the record.

Sorry we missed you!    Brownies sent.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

... the tendency of speculators to move in and out of a coin between Big Events, is a powerful driver for including vesting in the sharedrop engineering toolbox.

The same reason we put capacitors in a power supply - to smooth out the ripples in the voltage.

Haha, you can use the term speculate/speculators when you find something you do not like about THE Market. But BM knows well enough what follows when you try to put 'capacitors' on the market... So, Good luck with that.

While thinking about "vesting, 'capacitors' on the market" and stuff like that I think I found a lead you can use. It is already tried and seems to work quite well .

Play!   Play is the forth runner of the vesting-sharedrops breakthrough (Well FreeTrades' gaming-mining coin is, but as it went bust pretty quickly,  so lets pretend it never happened)!. They are doing (it) quite well. They also have a very very respectable market cap!
How they do it?
Simple - they list its shares only on a single tiny exchange they control (no messing around with their share price there)! As a result their market cap is somewhat huge...no worries about not been able to find them on coinmarketcap or anyplace else.

So, tiny, close to the vest controlled trading should easily guarantee a very respectable market cap, as well as a company that  no one is aware off.

Great approach, don't you think ? Combine that with a heavy slooooow vesting and I think you have a true winner!

You forgot perhaps the most important ingredient in the play secret sauce. 

Don't communicate with anyone.  Don't respond to any questions on your forum.  Ignore those wishing to partner with you. 

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
I just caught up with everyone who posted here through thursday.  I will be sending out brownie pts weekly after the mumble sessions in batches.   We are getting more organized now.

I apologize for everyone I missed previously.   Thanks!

i posted for nearly a month and no brownie.pts so far

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17354.msg228595.html#msg228595

this is the reason why i ask for a list, so it would be easier to keept the record.

38PTSWarrior

What I do: Enjoy the brownies I might have or get. Its a present and I will not ask 'how much did it cost' or so because in my world that is unpolite.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

While thinking about "vesting, 'capacitors' on the market" and stuff like that I think I found a lead you can use. It is already tried and seems to work quite well .

Play!   Play is the forth runner of the vesting-sharedrops breakthrough (Well FreeTrades' gaming-mining coin is, but as it went bust pretty quickly,  so lets pretend it never happened)!. They are doing (it) quite well. They also have a very very respectable market cap!
How they do it?
Simple - they list its shares only on a single tiny exchange they control (no messing around with their share price there)! As a result their market cap is somewhat huge...no worries about not been able to find them on coinmarketcap or anyplace else.

So, tiny, close to the vest controlled trading should easily guarantee a very respectable market cap, as well as a company that  no one is aware off.

Great approach, don't you think ? Combine that with a heavy slooooow vesting and I think you have a true winner!

Ah, the secret PLAY formula. An insular model for Brownie Points to follow. And if I can suggest an additional element, it would be: Let no one have a clue what your product is. When anyone comes close to understanding what it can do, change the mission and function once again. That is the so-called element of mystery, so lacking in today's corporate culture, better known to those on the street as 'WTF is this s***?'

I'm not a big fan of the Brownies thing because I think they distract from the core focus. I really dislike the idea of using them for any sharedrop. But it's an experiment to create an asset, reward the faithful with a warm bucket of it, and thereby throw some against the wall to see what sticks. In an insular market, probably very little.

But hey, here's hoping they're both worth a billion bucks someday.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

... the tendency of speculators to move in and out of a coin between Big Events, is a powerful driver for including vesting in the sharedrop engineering toolbox.

The same reason we put capacitors in a power supply - to smooth out the ripples in the voltage.

Haha, you can use the term speculate/speculators when you find something you do not like about THE Market. But BM knows well enough what follows when you try to put 'capacitors' on the market... So, Good luck with that.

How they do it?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:05:33 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
How did I miss that?

You missed it because you continue to think about what actually happened (BM spending a few hours to invent, evaluate everyone's worth/contribution to the project and distribute the brownies) and not how actions will be interpreted by the market - "When this project is 6-9 mo. behind schedule, BM is finding some new stupid idea to go after instead of focusing on the project". Vacation by the CEO is acceptable for the market, same CEO deciding to count loyal followers in the organization when his main product is missing all deadlines is not.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:21:40 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

If you read The Most Excellent Summer Adventures of Tonyk, you'll find his strategy was essentially, "Hmmm, nothing is scheduled until late This Summer, let me take my money elsewhere for ten weeks and then bring it back closer to the next round of big news."  Very good for Tonyk, I don't blame him for taking advantage of the rules.  But for that reason, we can't continue to have such rules.

What was that saying...oh yes - "Do not let the facts stay on the way of a good story"

I sold because in my estimation BM wanted the price of BTS to go down - that is my take when the lead developer of one of the greatest invention in recent history (not only in crypto, mind you), decides not to try his best to make this invention a reality, but instead decides to count his obedient followers (even though he knows they were less then 1 hundred).
And I said to myself - "Hmmm, who I am to argue that the price will go up, when the leader of the projects wants it to go down"...so I sold. Easy as that.

Ah, I see. 

Instead of using a single weekend to, say, take a much deserved rest, BM uses it to (1) say thanks those who are helping to make this invention a reality and (2) comes up with another way to motivate further efforts during hard times and (3) produces a compelling demo of what can be done with UIAs to stimulate others to use that feature.  Other than a few hours that weekend to create the asset and write a blog post about it, his total effort has been occasionally focusing his attention on (and appreciating) what others have been doing to help the cause - something most of us expect him to be doing anyway.

What a waste of time!  We all need to sell to stamp out that sort of thing.

And naturally, since BM is paying his team with BTS, he obviously wants the price to go down so he will run out of his personal savings faster and can go back to his day job.

How did I miss that?

Anyway, whether I correctly diagnosed Tonyk's presumably perceptive and noble motives (which I should refrain from attempting), the tendency of speculators to move in and out of a coin between Big Events, is a powerful driver for including vesting in the sharedrop engineering toolbox.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 01:09:30 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.