Author Topic: Idea that just came to me to deal with the problem of micropayments  (Read 14017 times)

Offline monsterer

Arhag's idea of a bond fits that description. Forcing a payment from every witness and monitoring the amount of stake each witness/delegate has (%-wise) is critical here.

Bonds will only deter an attacker while the bond amount remains higher than there is to be gained via an attack.

There is no way to monitor what stake each witness/delegate has because of anonymity- the attacker simply stores his stake on an unrelated account.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline VoR0220

1. We have limited transparency on the independence of the witnesses. Is it possible for users with a superior witness process (with the best witness stats) to clone that into more than one witness, perhaps in the extreme even controlling more than 51% of witnesses? Even if we were convinced that witnesses were controlled by different forum identities, might the individuals be related parties, for example working for the same entity (e.g. CMX or others)?

2. We have limited means to make reputation loss an effective deterrent. If the reputation is limited to BitShares, rather than real world, the sacrifice is a lot less for somebody willing to forsake ongoing involvement with BitShares for a highly profitable attack, than for somebody who carries that stigma with them into any future endeavours. Further, what's to stop an attacker from running one or more witnesses under a new alias after the attack is carried out?

well...yeah....that's basically what we're walking into here. You've just described the problem of a Sybil attack...which is what blockchains are supposed to be able to beat.
The best way to ensure that witnesses behave is to economically incentivize them to behave. Arhag's idea of a bond fits that description. Forcing a payment from every witness and monitoring the amount of stake each witness/delegate has (%-wise) is critical here.

That actually just gave me an idea for a GUI feature....colored flags for percentage of stake held by a witness.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
Warning: this tangential discussion has nothing to do with micro-payments:

As an aside, I wondered if it might be beneficial to demand transparency of real identities from witnesses. This would allow the community to better assess the actual decentralisation in the witness pool, the trustworthiness of the witnesses, and put their real-life reputations at stake rather than just an alias that can be replaced. Could this improve network security (albeit at the expense of witness privacy)?

First, I respectfully disagree about the impact of cost on the viability of micropayments. As I stated earlier, the cost of the network must be factored into the equation for determining minimal fees and thus directly relates to whether micropayments will be economically viable and not a welfare feature.

Second, as to the last paragraph, have you considered that mandating a real world identity might make the network weaker? It provides a direct path for gov regulators to attack individual witnesses, which is yet another reason I keep saying coexistence of privacy and forceful (i.e. gov) regulation cannot coexist.

A better way to protect against bad witnesses is their track record of production and other systems of reputation. Real world identification is not necessary.
Thom re your first comment - I deliberately said my comments had nothing to do with micro payments, so I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with - do you care to clarify for me?

Regarding witness identities, to be clear I'm a long way from pushing this idea - I was just floating it because I think there may be security challenges as a direct result of the lack of transparency (see below).  Its a critical point you raise on regulatory attack though and I expect most of the community feels the same. But here's what triggered me to raise it in the first place, as I was questioning arhag's statement that it's more difficult to achieve collusion amongst 51% of witnesses than 51% of PoW miners. Feel free to comment on whether such concerns are real and addressed or not, and alternatives to meet them.

1. We have limited transparency on the independence of the witnesses. Is it possible for users with a superior witness process (with the best witness stats) to clone that into more than one witness, perhaps in the extreme even controlling more than 51% of witnesses? Even if we were convinced that witnesses were controlled by different forum identities, might the individuals be related parties, for example working for the same entity (e.g. CMX or others)?

2. We have limited means to make reputation loss an effective deterrent. If the reputation is limited to BitShares, rather than real world, the sacrifice is a lot less for somebody willing to forsake ongoing involvement with BitShares for a highly profitable attack, than for somebody who carries that stigma with them into any future endeavours. Further, what's to stop an attacker from running one or more witnesses under a new alias after the attack is carried out?

Red very bad
Green good
Ha! Yeah, I hear you!

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss

As an aside, I wondered if it might be beneficial to demand transparency of real identities from witnesses. This would allow the community to better assess the actual decentralisation in the witness pool, the trustworthiness of the witnesses, and put their real-life reputations at stake rather than just an alias that can be replaced. Could this improve network security (albeit at the expense of witness privacy)?

First, I respectfully disagree about the impact of cost on the viability of micropayments. As I stated earlier, the cost of the network must be factored into the equation for determining minimal fees and thus directly relates to whether micropayments will be economically viable and not a welfare feature.

Second, as to the last paragraph, have you considered that mandating a real world identity might make the network weaker? It provides a direct path for gov regulators to attack individual witnesses, which is yet another reason I keep saying coexistence of privacy and forceful (i.e. gov) regulation cannot coexist.

A better way to protect against bad witnesses is their track record of production and other systems of reputation. Real world identification is not necessary.

Red very bad
Green good
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline Thom

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline monsterer

You can boil it all down with the following simplification:

* Network attack cost in (D)POS is a constant.
* Network attack cost in POW is proportional to the attack length

This is what generates the super-class of attack vectors against (D)POS, the ones so far discovered are broadly called 'nothing at stake'.

I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, but I think it's important for people to understand these differences.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile

arhag, I wish I could personally give your commentary the full comprehension it deserves, but alas I am not an expert on block-chain attacks. I'm sure others will see gems in your remarks, and I trust such a detailed post is not lost.

Bearing this in mind, you appear to make a strong case that the economics of an attack in DPoS compared to PoW are more discouraging for the would-be attacker. I think network stakeholders use a different economic scorecard though in determining what cost they are willing to absorb to defend against such an attack. That is, the cost of insuring against the attack needs to be weighed against the loss of stakeholder value and system credibility if an attack is successful, which will be just as negative in either system. On this basis, the community will expend as much cost as is considered reasonable to protect the integrity of the system. If the probability of an attack is much lower, because the attack economics are poorer as you demonstrate, then perhaps the acceptable insurance cost will be less. But it's hard for stakeholders to estimate such probabilities, so the link may not be very clear.

For PoW this network insurance cost is clear (dilution), while for DPoS, the explicit cost (dilution) is lower, but there is additional time and resource cost the community willingly contributes in order to provide the vigilance required around qualitative issues such as witness selection, decentralisation, and trust, in order to prevent such attacks. The greater the need to prevent attack, the more the community will be willing to expend in the effort to prevent it. BTC owners by contrast, expend no effort to analyse these things or vote accordingly. My earlier point was merely to say that because this effort is not quantifiable, its difficult to compare the all-up costs to stakeholders in each system.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
but how confident can the community be that we can ever foresee every attack vector?

0% :)

Network security comes at a cost. Under PoW, that cost is explicit. Under DPoS, that cost is opaque, but real nonetheless - the cost of voting. I've made this point previously, that it is not a verifiable claim to say DPoS is lower expense than PoW for this reason. Either DPoS also has a high cost, or compromises security.

Warning! Too much text below! Tl;dr: I try to analyze the operating cost difference between DPoS and PoW given the same amount of security for both against two particular classes of attacks, which I call a trust attack and a brute-force attack. Trust attacks require convincing others (miners in PoW, stakeholders in DPoS) to delegate their power to the attacker. The conclusion here is the obvious one we have discussed plenty of times in this community: DPoS is both more decentralized and has much lower cost for the same amount of security against this particular attack compared to PoW. A brute-force attack requires outright purchasing the fundamental consensus power (mining power in PoW, or stake in DPoS) and using it to attack the network in a way that the attacker hopes will end up being net profitable. For this attack, I try to compare PoW to DPoS with the security bond modifications that I proposed. This analysis is much trickier and requires a lot of assumptions, but my conclusion is that even with conservative estimates DPoS can be much cheaper to operate than PoW for the same amount of security against this brute-force attack. Finally, I conclude by noting that PoW's objectivity does provide some security advantages over DPoS under some attack scenarios, but my opinion is that this advantage is negligible compared to the much higher operating cost required for PoW.

PoW has better objective consensus compared to far more subjective consensus of PoS (DPoS included) systems. That is really useful when you want to be confident that you are likely on the correct chain even with a compromised internet connection as long as you have an estimate for the accumulated work done on the blockchain thus far. It is also useful in allowing everyone to come to a consensus on one particular chain (whether it is the chain they actually desire to accept or not) in the rare case of a successful long-term reorganization attack. On the other hand in PoS systems, under such a scenario it would require subjective consensus (relying on trustworthy nodes, businesses, other entities) to resolve which is or should be the "real" chain. Hopefully the economic incentives are designed to make such an attack very unprofitable and therefore very unlikely.

If we are willing to accept those disadvantages, we get a lot of benefits from DPoS as a result of this trade-off. One benefit is faster and more deterministic block generation. But the main benefit is a much lower network operating cost given the same cost to an attacker that is trying to attack the system through methods that don't require compromising the victim's internet connection (attacks where the attacker both compromises the victim's internet connection and has control over more than 50% of witnesses are more profitable in DPoS for a given network operating cost than in the similar case of a PoW system where the attacker has control of more than 50% of mining power).

So where does the cost reduction come from? To answer this, I will examine two different attacks. I'm going to call the first a trust attack and the second a brute-force attack.

The trust attack requires convincing other people with consensus power (hashing power in PoW or stake in DPoS) to delegate their consensus power to the attacker rather than to anyone else. In the case of PoW there is an economic incentive to delegate hashing power to an entity (mining pools) other than yourself as long as you trust them to honor the deal and pay you your fair share of block rewards. In DPoS, only the entities that are delegated the stake voting power, the witnesses, are allowed to produce blocks and only if they have sufficient approval. So again there will naturally need to be delegation of the consensus power. In both cases, the entity that you have delegated the consensus power to can break their vow and use the privileges granted from the delegated consensus power to attack the network in some way. However, they are pretty much guaranteed to get caught if they do so and their reputation will be forever destroyed. This means they cannot convince people to ever trust them with consensus power again, which means they cannot be a block producer again. Since they were rewarded for being a block producer, there is an opportunity cost in the form of lost future income that motivates them to behave. However, if the profit potential is worth more than this opportunity cost, it would be rational for them to attack the network assuming they are not concerned about other things like their reputation in real life (assuming their identity has already been revealed) or the value of their investments (which they want to hold) in the system they are attacking. What we have seen in Bitcoin is that the vast majority of hashing power is concentrated in a handful of mining pools. BitShares with its 101 witnesses is far more decentralized than Bitcoin in this manner. Collusion among mining pools to get 51% hashing power is thus easier than collusion among 51% of witnesses.

If we compare the operating costs between PoW and DPoS, we will see that they are not too different if you ignore the significant costs of mining. Some amount of the block rewards go to the mining pool operators (the profit after their operating expenses makes up their opportunity cost) and the rest get distributed to the actual miners. If we wanted a similar opportunity cost for witnesses, we would have to pay the active witnesses in aggregate the same amount as the fraction of block rewards that go to the mining pool operators (which is a tiny fraction of the block rewards since the vast majority goes to the miners). However, DPoS does not have to pay for miners, so its overall operating costs are dramatically lower.

What about another form of attack? I call a brute-force attack an attack that requires the attacker to purchase or otherwise obtain control over the actual consensus power directly. In the case of PoW, this means buying enough ASICs and paying for the electricity costs to operate them. In DPOS, this means buying the core stake with which they can vote for their own witnesses. Keep in mind that the attacker does not need to purchase these things legally; they can get control over them illegally too. In the case of PoW, this might mean they hack into enough miners' computers and hijack the block headers that their ASICs hash. In the case of DPoS, this might mean they hack into enough stakeholders' computers and steal the private keys controlling their stake. I am assuming that this kind of wide scale hacking attack is hard to do. Even if feasible, it is important to notice that the number of individuals to attack to get 51% of hashing power in PoW is very likely less than the number of individuals to attack to get a sufficient amount of stake to vote in 51% of witnesses (although the former group might have better operational security than the latter group, then again that is unlikely to make a difference).

One other thing to realize about a brute-force attack is that a lot of value spent acquiring this consensus power can be recovered after the attack. In PoW any electricity consumed is forever lost and cannot be resold, but the ASICs can be resold (granted for a lower price than they were initially acquired). However, if the ASICs are only needed for a short amount of time for the duration of the attack, the resale value of the ASICs may not be too bad. Similarly, an attacker can buy stake to vote in their evil witnesses to do the attack, and then immediately afterward sell the stake to recover costs as much as possible. It is only the net difference that the attacker needs to pay (in addition to electricity costs for PoW brute-force attacks) to carry out this attack. If the profit from the attack is greater than this difference, then it is rational for the attacker to carry out the attack. However, there are a lot of economic uncertainties here. After the attack is successfully carried out, the price of the stake will very likely drop significantly. But it is not clear whether this will be temporary or how significant the drop will be (I doubt a foreseen but theoretically rare attack like this would kill the coin). A drop immediately after actually helps increase net costs for PoS brute-force attacks, which is actually a good thing. However, a drop in the price of a PoW coin will also likely correlate with a drop in the value of ASICs that mine that coin. Thus the net cost to the attacker also increases for PoW brute-force attacks. Also, ASICs are a depreciating asset whereas the core stake can actually appreciate in value (sometimes a lot!), which is a win for PoW security as far as brute-force attacking costs go.

DPoS can improve its security by requiring the witnesses to deposit funds which can be destroyed by the network if they are caught cheating. We define the probability of successfully burning the deposit of an attacker's witnesses as p (it is safe to assume p is close to 1, e.g. p = 0.95). The value of the required deposited stake among all witnesses is C. In addition to the funds to cover node operating expenses, the blockchain pays witnesses a fraction f of the locked funds per year to compensate for the opportunity cost of locking the funds (f = 0.05 seems reasonable, which corresponds to a 5% p.a. return). The expected value of the cost to the attacker in control of 51% of witnesses (which is the minimum needed to take control of the DPoS network and carry out the attack) is approximately p*C/2 plus whatever extra cost they pay due to drop in value of their voting stake as a result of the attack (let's be conservative and assume this is zero).

In a PoW brute-force attack, the attacker needs to purchase enough ASICs to generate slightly more hashing power than the current aggregate hashing power of the entire network. After the attack, the attacker can then sell the ASICs to whoever wants it (rational greedy miners are likely not even going to care if they are purchasing useful ASICs from a known attacker, but most likely they won't even know who the attacker was). There is going to be some net cost Ca from this buy-sell cycle. The attacker will also need to pay for electricity to run the ASICs for the duration of the attack; call this cost Ce. If the attacker only wants to do this attack once, they will only need to run the ASICs for around 8 blocks or so (enough to do chain reorganization against victims who waited the full 6 blocks, or 1 hour, as they are told to do). Let's be generous and say they pay for electricity to run the ASICs for 53 blocks which would approximately take 8.8 hours, or 1/1000 of a year. Therefore, Ce can be estimated as 1/1000th of the cost of electricity consumed to run the Bitcoin network for a year. I am going to try to come up with some back of the envelope estimates for these costs. From this table I see that the most efficient (highest Mhash/J) ASIC is the AntMiner S5. It has a cost of 3,121 MHash/s/$ and an efficiency of 1,957 MHash/J. Bitcoin's current hash rate is approximately 400 billion MHash/s. This means $128 million dollars worth of these ASICs would be necessary which would consume 205 MW of power. Assuming an electricity cost of $0.08/kWh, it would take $144 million to run these ASIC for 1 year, but only $144,000 to run it for the desired 8.8 hours. Thus, Ce = $144,000. By the way, new BTC is currently being produced at a rate of $40,000/hour, or $350 million per year (according to current market price). So if we subtract the $144 million electricity cost to run those ASICs, that leaves $206 million per year of revenue to cover the capital cost of the ASICs and of course any profit. I am not sure what kind of ASIC the typical miner owns and how long they last before becoming obsolete, but these numbers seem reasonable as a sanity check on the math. To calculate Ca I will make a completely wild assumption that the attacker can sell their ASICs after the attack for less than a 10% discount. So let's say Ca = $12 million. Even if the the discount was 2%, it is clear that the loss in selling the ASIC outweighs the electricity cost.

The cost of a DPoS brute-force attack will be higher (and thus DPoS more secure in this particular attack) than the PoW brute-force attack if p*C/2 + Cs > Ca + Ce, where Cs is the net cost of buying enough stake to vote in the bad witnesses and then selling the stake (if desired) after the attack (I will assume this is its minimum value of zero to be conservative). The PoW network however has to pay a large expense to economically incentive the miners to actually mine. I will use the current Bitcoin expense as an example. As I mentioned before the Bitcoin blockchain is paying an expense Cw of $350 million per year currently to cover the electricity costs of approximately $144 million per year (or likely higher since I used a low electricity rate) and to cover the capital costs of an ASIC base worth (very) roughly $128 million. If I assume all of these PoW costs scale linearly with the blockchain expense (because difficulty will adjust), then a $350 million per year blockchain expense corresponds to an attacker expense of Ca + Ce, which is roughly somewhere between $150,000 (for a nearly 0% discount) to $12,144,000 (for 100% discount, i.e. cannot resell ASICs), or a ratio r  = Cw/(Ca + Ce) that is very roughly between 2333 to 29, respectively. The yearly cost to DPoS to pay for the opportunity cost of the locked stake is Cd = f*C, which must be greater than 2*f*(Ca + Ce)/p = 2*f*Cw/(p*r) in order for DPoS to be more secure than PoW for this particular attack. So with the conservative case of r = 29 (100% discount) and the other values, the minimum yearly cost for DPoS (excluding basic node operating costs) is Cd = 2*(0.05)*($350 million)/(0.95 * 29) = $1,270,000. More importantly, the ratio of the PoW cost (excluding basic node operating expenses, but I will still use the above Cw value since Bitcoin mining node operating expenses are currently negligible to hashing expenses) to DPoS cost (again excluding basic node operating expenses which should be similar to that of a PoW system) for the same amount of security against this particular attack is approximately Cw/Cd = p*r/(2*f) = (0.95 * 29)/(2*0.05) = 275.5 and potentially orders of magnitude greater (if the attacker can get a reasonable discount on ASIC resales).

The other thing to consider when measuring security is not just the profitability of the attack, but how much initial capital is necessary to actually carry out the attack. To carry out the PoW brute-force attack, the attacker would need approximately $130 million assuming we use numbers currently applicable to the Bitcoin network. In DPoS, the attacker needs enough stake to vote the witnesses in and enough for the deposit (which may or may not vote). The amount needed for the deposit is C/2, which should be greater than Cw/(p*r) if DPoS is to have lower cost than PoW for the same security against this attack. To fairly compare the PoW numbers with DPoS, we should assume that the DPoS core stake has a similar market cap as BTC (currently $3.8 billion) and conservatively use the Cw/r value of $150,000 (thus C/2 should approximately be $158,000 which is small relative to $130 million so we can ignore it, and we could ignore it anyway if the security deposit was allowed to vote since it offsets some of the need to buy additional voting stake). Even assuming a very liquid market (and/or stake bought and resold very slowly without compromising the attack), with just 0.5% of the stake being necessary it will already cost the attacker more initial capital than with the PoW brute-force attack. The attacker won't be able to get any witnesses voted in with only 0.5% approval. Currently approximately 13.5% of stake is necessary to get the majority of BitShares 0.x delegates voted in; let's assume similar voting patterns carried over to DPoS 2.0 witnesses. Ignoring the fact that purchasing 13.5% of stake would drastically raise the price (and thus market cap), this means that BitShares would have higher initial capital requirements for this attack than Bitcoin if it had a market cap of at least $963 million. With its current market cap, the initial capital requirements are only approximately $2.2 million (again not considering how the market cap would dramatically increase if someone actually attempted to buy 13.5% of all BTS).

It is important to note that these were only two classes of attacks. This rough analysis (I appreciate any corrections or improvements) hopefully shows that for the same amount of security against these attacks, a DPoS network costs less to operate than a PoW network. It does not say anything about the relative security of two networks for different attacks. As I mentioned in the beginning, there is a trade-off. We give up objectivity by going from PoW to DPoS. This makes DPoS less secure than PoW (almost regardless of operating cost) for certain attacks.

For example, if the majority of witnesses are colluding to attack a victim and they also control that victim's internet connection and can maintain control of that internet connection for over 2 weeks, then there is a some chance the victim can be kept in the dark about the double spend for long enough that it will be too late to punish the witnesses with a double sign proof that burns their deposits. Essentially the probability p gets close to 0 in this case which means the Cw/Cd ratio also falls down to a value close to 0 (and importantly less than 1 which means PoW is more secure against this case for the same cost). It is very questionable how realistic this attack scenario is. If the probability of the victim discovering the attack and providing the double sign proof to the blockchain in time can be kept above 2*f/r = 2*0.05/29 = 0.00345, then the DPoS system still has better security for same cost. In fact, given the numbers above, DPoS can have the same security as PoW against this attack with an order of magnitude lower operating cost as long as the probability of the attacker getting away with this particular attack without losing the security deposit is less than 96.5%. Increasing the 2 week delay to withdraw the deposit is an easy way to sufficiently decrease this probability of attack success (if even necessary) at the inconvenience of delaying how long it takes for a retired witness to get back their deposit.

Another case in which PoW's objectivity shines is when synchronizing the blockchain after a long time of being offline. Even if the user has no estimate for what the accumulated work done should be, assuming their internet isn't compromised they will likely be able to find the blockchain with the larger accumulate work done (the correct blockchain) without any trust. But with DPoS, a very large majority of old witnesses that were simultaneously active at some point in the past (but have long since stopped being witnesses and have withdrawn their deposit and so they have no stake to lose) could collude together to continue a fake blockchain from the fork point. If they also compromise the victim's internet connection, they can trick the user to sync to a fake blockchain and thus double-spend attack the victim. What is worse is that even after getting access to an uncompromised network some time after syncing, the victim's client may refuse to switch to the real chain because the fork point would be past the chain reorganization limit. Furthermore, if nearly all of the old witnesses colluded (so 99+% of the witnesses at a single point in time in the blockchain history colluded to make the fake blockchain history, and therefore could likely have a longer fake blockchain than the real blockchain which will naturally have some witnesses occasionally missing blocks), then the victim wouldn't figure out which chain was the real one even if their internet connection wasn't compromised at any time. In this case I believe the client should do the right thing and get stuck rather than picking one chain or the other (is that correct?), so the victim is not in any actual risk of a double-spend attack, but it is annoying because it then requires the victim to rely on his social network of trust to determine the correct chain (he needs to acquire a trusted recent checkpoint and add it to the client). Thankfully, with a 2 week withdrawal delay on the security deposit, witnesses who retired or were voted out less than 2 weeks ago will be highly unlikely to dare carry out this attack. This means that someone syncing the blockchain every week is in no real danger of this attack. Furthermore, if we assume witness turnover is slow, it is unlikely that there will be enough old witnesses with nothing at stake that are willing to collude to attack users who haven't synced for a couple months (not to mention that it is difficult to know who specifically to target). However, it is probably prudent to assume that if someone hasn't synced the blockchain for several months, they should first acquire a recent trusted checkpoint and add it to their client (assuming it isn't already done automatically in their most recently downloaded version of the client). Finally, most people would be using a lightweight client setup anyway, so all of this responsibility is placed on the host and the users are simply trusting that the host will not double-spend attack them because it would destroy their reputation and future business.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
Finally I would like to strongly encourage bytemaster to test significant changes like this with the community first - at a minimum, by forming groups of trusted community members that can provide feedback on different policy areas. Why not take advantage of the depth of expertise at hand?

+5% Well said! Yet every time this is suggested, and it has been suggested many times, it is ignored, for example when the PR muzzle silenced open communication. A PR review board was suggested but it was never taken seriously. That doesn't exactly give me a nice warm feeling, and doesn't indicate a very strong level of respect for the community IMHO.

It's really a compromise situation I think. Full transparency creates PR problems. Trusted groups creates privileged access for some over others. Pushing pre-baked decisions may lead to sub-optimality, unforeseen risks and corrections. But maybe there is a middle ground available, with enough thought.

Offline Thom

Finally I would like to strongly encourage bytemaster to test significant changes like this with the community first - at a minimum, by forming groups of trusted community members that can provide feedback on different policy areas. Why not take advantage of the depth of expertise at hand?

+5% Well said! Yet every time this is suggested, and it has been suggested many times, it is ignored, for example when the PR muzzle silenced open communication. A PR review board was suggested but it was never taken seriously. That doesn't exactly give me a nice warm feeling, and doesn't indicate a very strong level of respect for the community IMHO.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline VoR0220

Network security comes at a cost. Under PoW, that cost is explicit. Under DPoS, that cost is opaque, but real nonetheless - the cost of voting. I've made this point previously, that it is not a verifiable claim to say DPoS is lower expense than PoW for this reason. Either DPoS also has a high cost, or compromises security. This change brings that point home for me. Still, I believe there are strong benefits to DPoS because stakeholders have control rather than miners.

The key is to exercise that control in the most effective and efficient way possible. Until convinced otherwise, I strongly prefer stakeholders retain the ability to vote instantly rather than waiting 24 hours, as I worry that unforeseen attack types are possible in that time (unknown unknowns), that perhaps cannot all be captured by automated block-chain bans. I see the ability to instantly fire witnesses as a catch-all solution, if implemented effectively.

My thinking was that if the attacker used their own stake to vote in all their delegates, then transferred to an exchange and sold (losing the votes), they would have more time to sell and execute the attack if votes are only tallied once a day, instead of immediate.

I see. I'm not too worried about that attack considering the difficulty of controlling enough stake to unilaterally vote in enough active witnesses for an attack. And the 1 day tally is only a downside from the current 0.x system if you believe that voters would react fast enough to vote out that witness in less than 24 hours (which I do not believe at all).

You always have great depth of analysis arhag, but how confident can the community be that we can ever foresee every attack vector?

The best solution to instant firing I can think of is to allow voting power to be delegated by the community to members who prove themselves at being trustworthy, adept and responsive to such events in real-time. Users can in turn instantly change those delegations, leaving ultimate power in the hands of the wider community. This would help reduce voter apathy, as the job is much simpler and far less frequent for stakeholders with little input, while allocating the strongest voting power where the most information is held and highest responsiveness needed. To validate such an approach though, I'd want to be sure that we are not just shifting the problem of malevolent witnesses to malevolent delegates.

I'll need to rely on experts in this area to find the optimal solution, but just wanted to add my view. Bytemaster is yet to comment, and may allay some concern.

I'm reminded of the old "vote with chosen delegates preference" method in the original Bitshares implementation. Perhaps this could remain free to change at all times allowing voters to shift their stake to preferred trusted delegates in times of a potential attack.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
Network security comes at a cost. Under PoW, that cost is explicit. Under DPoS, that cost is opaque, but real nonetheless - the cost of voting. I've made this point previously, that it is not a verifiable claim to say DPoS is lower expense than PoW for this reason. Either DPoS also has a high cost, or compromises security. This change brings that point home for me. Still, I believe there are strong benefits to DPoS because stakeholders have control rather than miners.

The key is to exercise that control in the most effective and efficient way possible. Until convinced otherwise, I strongly prefer stakeholders retain the ability to vote instantly rather than waiting 24 hours, as I worry that unforeseen attack types are possible in that time (unknown unknowns), that perhaps cannot all be captured by automated block-chain bans. I see the ability to instantly fire witnesses as a catch-all solution, if implemented effectively.

My thinking was that if the attacker used their own stake to vote in all their delegates, then transferred to an exchange and sold (losing the votes), they would have more time to sell and execute the attack if votes are only tallied once a day, instead of immediate.

I see. I'm not too worried about that attack considering the difficulty of controlling enough stake to unilaterally vote in enough active witnesses for an attack. And the 1 day tally is only a downside from the current 0.x system if you believe that voters would react fast enough to vote out that witness in less than 24 hours (which I do not believe at all).

You always have great depth of analysis arhag, but how confident can the community be that we can ever foresee every attack vector?

The best solution to instant firing I can think of is to allow voting power to be delegated by the community to members who prove themselves at being trustworthy, adept and responsive to such events in real-time. Users can in turn instantly change those delegations, leaving ultimate power in the hands of the wider community. This would help reduce voter apathy, as the job is much simpler and far less frequent for stakeholders with little input, while allocating the strongest voting power where the most information is held and highest responsiveness needed. To validate such an approach though, I'd want to be sure that we are not just shifting the problem of malevolent witnesses to malevolent delegates.

I'll need to rely on experts in this area to find the optimal solution, but just wanted to add my view. Bytemaster is yet to comment, and may allay some concern.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem

I see. I'm not too worried about that attack considering the difficulty of controlling enough stake to unilaterally vote in enough active witnesses for an attack.

I like the idea to require witnesses to post a bond, which they lose if they participate in an attack.  This helps make attacks more costly.

I also discussed elsewhere how we can have a super majority of the witnesses confirm transactions in just a few blocks (2 to 3 seconds) rather than waiting for N/2 blocks where N is the number of witnesses. If users wait for those 3 blocks before continuing with irreversible transactions, they are protected from even a large minority of colluding witnesses. A majority of witnesses is even harder to get voted in (would likely require more stake in the attack you described since the approval rating of witnesses increases as you go up the ranks) and there would be a larger aggregate bond deposit at stake among the colluding witnesses.

Furthermore, I'm just now thinking about how the chain reorganization and "longest chain" rules could be modified to take into account double sign proofs. Even if a chain is shorter in a round, if it has a double sign proof showing the other witnesses in the longer chain are banned because of double signing, all clients (assuming their internet connection isn't completely compromised) should be able to ignore that longer chain and come to a consensus on the shorter chain. The blockchain protocol could also specify that a valid double sign proof would force an early vote tally which would allow the banned witnesses to be immediately removed from the active witness set and be replaced by the other standby witnesses waiting in the ranks. This would mean that even if 1 honest active witness still exists, double sign proofs of the other bad witnesses submitted to the network could automatically allow the blockchain to recover within N seconds (where N is the number of active witnesses) after the double sign proofs were submitted to the network. Granted a new user with a compromised network connection could still be tricked onto the invalid chain with the majority of the witnesses (despite the fact that they are banned on the "real" chain) still building blocks, but that attack is already possible (and hopefully very unlikely to occur) in the current system.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:30:25 pm by arhag »

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Regarding the once a day vote compilation, that seems like a problem to me.  If there is a problem, people need to be able to vote a bad actor out as soon as possible, not in 24 hours.  (maybe it doesnt need to be in 1 second, but it needs to be sooner than a day). 

If you only tally votes once a day, an attacker could have an entire day to sell off their stake and then execute an attack, increasing the vulnerability to a nothing at stake attack.  (You can get a lot more value back selling over a day than you can in only 15 minutes). 

Why would the attacker have to sell over 15 minutes or a day? They don't need stake to be a witness. They can sell it off over a year or more. Or never have stake to begin with (other than enough to register their witness). What is at stake is their future income earning potential. If we implement this proposal then the amount deposited in their bond will also be at stake.

The 1 day tally isn't a big deal. Voters are going to be much slower than that to react. It will probably take 1 week for stakeholders to react enough to get rid of a witness. This is why we need the blockchain to automatically ban a witness (and take away their deposit) if someone submits a double sign proof (again see my linked proposal).

I could be wrong, my technical understanding isnt as good as yours.

I like the idea to require witnesses to post a bond, which they lose if they participate in an attack.  This helps make attacks more costly.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
Regarding the once a day vote compilation, that seems like a problem to me.  If there is a problem, people need to be able to vote a bad actor out as soon as possible, not in 24 hours.  (maybe it doesnt need to be in 1 second, but it needs to be sooner than a day). 

If you only tally votes once a day, an attacker could have an entire day to sell off their stake and then execute an attack, increasing the vulnerability to a nothing at stake attack.  (You can get a lot more value back selling over a day than you can in only 15 minutes). 

Why would the attacker have to sell over 15 minutes or a day? They don't need stake to be a witness. They can sell it off over a year or more. Or never have stake to begin with (other than enough to register their witness). What is at stake is their future income earning potential. If we implement this proposal then the amount deposited in their bond will also be at stake.

The 1 day tally isn't a big deal. Voters are going to be much slower than that to react. It will probably take 1 week for stakeholders to react enough to get rid of a witness. This is why we need the blockchain to automatically ban a witness (and take away their deposit) if someone submits a double sign proof (again see my linked proposal).

Offline Ander

• View Profile

Offline monsterer

Is there any further danger or possible damage due to the bad-actor remaining a witness for up to another 24 hours?
Why will they/not repeatedly attempt their 'attack' every 101 seconds when it is their turn again?

That is the scope of their attack. They remain capable of performing it repeatedly every round until they are voted out.

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
price stable assets makes our job easier for sure, on top of other features like referrals, etc

Offline Ander

• View Profile
So it seems that the current Bitshares 2.0 chain that is handling all the financial aspects is beyond brilliant, the code is beautiful, the functionality is going to be amazing. The only thing that it inherently cannot handle is micropayments. Combined with the recent licensing this creates a problem for people who love the technological capabilities of bitshares but who need to have low fees in order for their applications to work. So it got me thinking. Why doesn't cryptonomex just release a second chain that is fully geared towards micropayments and allow us to build our ecosystem out of there? It would seem that the work would not double, it would merely be changing a couple files in the codebase, (one of those files being the one where people are fiddling with the "fee dials" so to speak) and the devs could go ahead and keep a large chunk of the incoming fees to maintain the engine that makes this entire system work. From there, you can create full integration of trade between the micropayments channel and the BTS channel, and even make it so that you can charge high fees on the micropayments channel. Micropayments are a huge segment of what cryptocurrency is trying to accomplish. While I'm all for shrinking the scope of a project to focus and get more actual work done, I do think it would be short sighted to not bring this area of the industry into our own as there are so many markets that could open up for these services in the coming years. Could call it MicroBTS for the currency....

Idk, what do you guys think? Idea just came to me...it could be a good way to solve this issue.

I have been working on this with a few companies in that space, most are apprehensive to do it...but I think they will come around in the future. 

Met with a few of them actually, and have been working to educate them on the new 2.0 structure.

In the end, if Bitsahres is successful, people will create micropayments solutions for it. 
After all, Bitcoin isnt good for micropayments, but companies like Xapo are making it work.  They can do the same for bitshares.

Offline Permie

• View Profile
Bitcoin is trustless, bitshares is not.
That quote is IMHO not correct ...
BitShares makes a trade-off .. it reduces the trustlessness and gains efficiency ..
but when you compare the "trustlessness" of bitcoin you will notice that pooled mining killed it for bitcoin ..
if everyone was solo-mining bitcoin would be unbeatable in terms of trust ..

How many entities do you trust to sign half the blocks?

Bitcoin:                  3 self-appointed, CEO's for life
BitShares:           51 elected delegates you can fire in 10 seconds
BitShares 2.0       N elected witnesses you can fire in 1 second where voters choose N

Which is more trustless?

Unless something has changed since it was announced by BM, the highlighted statement is INCORRECT.

BM said that the cost of voting is so high that voting results in BitShares 2.0 will only be compiled once a day.
It was when I reviewed the recording (I think it was the mumble on 6/8, but not positive) the impact of that statement registered with me.  I recall bringing this up in a conversation with fuzzy also. That is a major shift in policy and security, if you want to factor in voting as a short term security measure as you did here. Voting for real time security concerns has been thrown out - another unilateral decision that was made by Cryptonomex without community consensus.

That said, if you want to argue the merits of that decision based on what has been learned about voter apathy, I think you can make a defensible case, especially for real time problems. Nevertheless, you should stop making claims like this for BiitShares 2.0 because they just aren't true.
Thanks for pointing things like this out, Thom

Could delegates be given the authority to call a vote immediately given x% agree that a bad actor needs ousting asap?
If witnesses will not build on an invalid block, the bad-actor has only a 1 second window. Is there any further danger or possible damage due to the bad-actor remaining a witness for up to another 24 hours?
Why will they/not repeatedly attempt their 'attack' every 101 seconds when it is their turn again?

I understand that witnesses signing blocks are deterministic and a bad-actor couldn't (or findit very hard) to reliable ensure that his bad-actor accomplises would be next in line to sign a block (and therefore be able to continue the attack for longer than 1 second).

Why is it safe to only vote once per day? If trivial, please explain, and if not trivial why aren't members being consulted for a vote?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
So it seems that the current Bitshares 2.0 chain that is handling all the financial aspects is beyond brilliant, the code is beautiful, the functionality is going to be amazing. The only thing that it inherently cannot handle is micropayments. Combined with the recent licensing this creates a problem for people who love the technological capabilities of bitshares but who need to have low fees in order for their applications to work. So it got me thinking. Why doesn't cryptonomex just release a second chain that is fully geared towards micropayments and allow us to build our ecosystem out of there? It would seem that the work would not double, it would merely be changing a couple files in the codebase, (one of those files being the one where people are fiddling with the "fee dials" so to speak) and the devs could go ahead and keep a large chunk of the incoming fees to maintain the engine that makes this entire system work. From there, you can create full integration of trade between the micropayments channel and the BTS channel, and even make it so that you can charge high fees on the micropayments channel. Micropayments are a huge segment of what cryptocurrency is trying to accomplish. While I'm all for shrinking the scope of a project to focus and get more actual work done, I do think it would be short sighted to not bring this area of the industry into our own as there are so many markets that could open up for these services in the coming years. Could call it MicroBTS for the currency....

Idk, what do you guys think? Idea just came to me...it could be a good way to solve this issue.

I have been working on this with a few companies in that space, most are apprehensive to do it...but I think they will come around in the future. 

Met with a few of them actually, and have been working to educate them on the new 2.0 structure.

me too. Hence why I am proposing the idea. I think it would be a long term benefit to this platform.

yes, it is a great idea and I think one of the best ways to get adoption of our technology outside of crypto.  And it provides an amazing amount of volume to our network.  Then once that happens I think people will realize they can just leave it in their wallet and not send it and bam - we just became their bank account.  Tie it with Nanocard and we are now a bank without being one.

Offline VoR0220

me too. Hence why I am proposing the idea. I think it would be a long term benefit to this platform.

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile

Offline Thom

BitShares makes a trade-off .. it reduces the trustlessness and gains efficiency ..
but when you compare the "trustlessness" of bitcoin you will notice that pooled mining killed it for bitcoin ..

BitShares 2.0       N elected witnesses you can fire in 1 second where voters choose N

Which is more trustless?

Unless something has changed since it was announced by BM, the highlighted statement is INCORRECT.

BM said that the cost of voting is so high that voting results in BitShares 2.0 will only be compiled once a day. It was when I reviewed the recording (I think it was the mumble on 6/8, but not positive) the impact of that statement registered with me.  I recall bringing this up in a conversation with fuzzy also. That is a major shift in policy and security, if you want to factor in voting as a short term security measure as you did here. Voting for real time security concerns has been thrown out - another unilateral decision that was made by Cryptonomex without community consensus.

That said, if you want to argue the merits of that decision based on what has been learned about voter apathy, I think you can make a defensible case, especially for real time problems. Nevertheless, you should stop making claims like this for BiitShares 2.0 because they just aren't true.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053

Which is more trustless?

Interesting point...I hadn't thought of it that way before wrt the BTC cartel

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
but I agree .. the difference is whether you can spend the funds after 1 confirmation (normal operations) or after x confirmations (network under attack) where x denotes the distance to the first honest delegate to take your tx ..

The trouble is, you cannot tell the network is under attack until is it too late if you follow the protocol and take confirmation as 1 block. You would need to wait 2 blocks minimum.
to be absolutely sure you need to wait (as indicated by @stan above)  .. 51 'confirmations' ..

Ok .. i think I get your point here ... the recommendation of 1 confirmation requires trust ..
point taken ..

Offline monsterer

but I agree .. the difference is whether you can spend the funds after 1 confirmation (normal operations) or after x confirmations (network under attack) where x denotes the distance to the first honest delegate to take your tx ..

The trouble is, you cannot tell the network is under attack until is it too late if you follow the protocol and take confirmation as 1 block. You would need to wait 2 blocks minimum.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
You're thinking only inside the bitshares chain. If you take the network's advice about 1 block confirmation and then take irreversible action based on that advice, the damage is unrecoverable.
I do know .. but a valid transaction will make it into a block eventually ... as you can read from my previous post .. the most important thing is to get the FIRST tx into a block in case of a double spend ..

Offline monsterer

if a misbehaving delegates takes your transactions and puts it into a malformed block .. the subsequent delegates ignores the block and puts your transaction into a new .. valid block ..
transactions that have been broadcast and are valid will end up in a block no matter what ..
the only thing you can do to double spend is to send the double spending transaction the the subsequent delegate faster than the original tx .. however .. the subsequent delegate sees your original tx in the invalid block and can resolve the double spend attack .. problem solved

You're thinking only inside the bitshares chain. If you take the network's advice about 1 block confirmation and then take irreversible action based on that advice, the damage is unrecoverable.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Undoing bad things is automatic, as long as 51% of the delegates are not under control of the same attacker.
A different name for 51% "attacks" would be "new consensus" :D .. it's a inherent issue of resolving a conflict through consensus and thus holds true for any decentralized consensus scheme

However, as a merchant, if you accept and process transactions during the period in which a delegate is attacking the network, you can be exposed to loss - especially entities such as shapeshift.io, metaexchange and blocktrades which take the network's advice on 1 block confirmations.
if a misbehaving delegates takes your transactions and puts it into a malformed block .. the subsequent delegates ignores the block and puts your transaction into a new .. valid block ..
transactions that have been broadcast and are valid will end up in a block no matter what ..
the only thing you can do to double spend is to send the double spending transaction the the subsequent delegate faster than the original tx .. however .. the subsequent delegate sees your original tx in the invalid block and can resolve the double spend attack .. problem solved

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Which is more trustless?
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline monsterer

Could you appease the nerves and explain why this is "safe"?
How hard is a double spend?
Is the basic idea that a delegate would get voted out "instantly" if they cheated?
How easy is it to undo bad-things, and go back to the true-chain?

It's safe because you trust the delegates. If you don't trust the delegates, then it isn't safe. A delegate can only by voted out manually, so the danger zone is between the time when they start causing problems and the time when they get voted out.

Undoing bad things is automatic, as long as 51% of the delegates are not under control of the same attacker.

However, as a merchant, if you accept and process transactions during the period in which a delegate is attacking the network, you can be exposed to loss - especially entities such as shapeshift.io, metaexchange and blocktrades which take the network's advice on 1 block confirmations.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
only needs 1 confirmation to be named as such, which is entirely official.
Is the basic idea that a delegate would get voted out "instantly" if they cheated?
ask your self this question:
if you were the subsequent delegate to build a block upon some block that does follow the rules? would you build upon it?
if so .. what do you think the delegate after your block will do with YOUR block then?

Offline Permie

• View Profile
only needs 1 confirmation to be named as such, which is entirely official.
BTSDEX.COM

Offline monsterer

bitcoin transactions are confirmed once there are put into a block .. same thing as in bitshares .. whether they are in the blockchain FOR SURE .. depends on whether they are ignored in a fork or not ..

Being in a block and being confirmed are not the same thing. 'Confirmed' means safe to spend, 1 confirmation is one step towards this goal. The bitshares protocol has 'confirmed' == 1 confirmation, which means official policy is to trust the delegates.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Code: [Select]
s/BitShares/Bitcoin/
s/delegates/miners/

same thing

Really not sure what you're implying there, but I'm taking a guess that you're saying delegates are the same as miners, which is entirely inaccurate - the principal reason (there are many others) is this:

*) Miners have an ongoing block production cost, which makes producing fake history, or double spending expensive, whereas delegates have no such ongoing cost.
I understand your view. My position was more from the security perspective than from the economical point of view.
Also, keep in mind that in bitshares, misbehavior can be punished by downvotes such that the delegate pay stops .. trying to double spend will result in your block being skipped by the subsequent delegate. Hence, you don't get your delegate pay. You are right that there is no cost associated with that directly, but there is a reputation and a profitable delegate position to be lost ..

edit: if you're saying that bitcoin transactions are confirmed after 1 confirmation, you are also incorrect. There is no official statement to this effect - however, if you look in the bitshares code base you will find that nominally a confirmed transaction only needs 1 confirmation to be named as such, which is entirely official.
bitcoin transactions are confirmed once there are put into a block .. same thing as in bitshares .. whether they are in the blockchain FOR SURE .. depends on whether they are ignored in a fork or not ..
to be certain the tx stays in the blockchain in bitcoin is guaranteed with 99.99% probability after 6 confirmations ..
this is different in bts. From the wiki (http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/FAQs#How_does_DPOS_get_by_with_1_block_recommended_confirmation_versus_BTC.27s_6_block_recommendation.3F)

How does DPOS get by with 1 block recommended confirmation versus BTC's 6 block recommendation?

* The probability of a FORK after a block has been produced is very low. < 0.01% where as Bitcoin has 25 orphans in the last 22 days (about 1 per day - Dec 3,2014) which translates into 0.7% of blocks are orphaned.
    * We are normally at 100% delegate participation and when we are less than that it is more often because a delegate was DOWN and didn't produce a block than because they produced a fork.
    * Forks are almost always resolved within 30 seconds.
    * When a fork is produced it is very likely that all delegates have seen and processed your transaction and thus no alternative transactions can be broadcast and the next delegate is almost certain to include your transaction.
    * All delegates are much more trusted than miners.

So after 1 block (10 seconds) Bitshares is mathematically over 70x less likely to orphan than Bitcoin after 1 block (10 minutes). After 3 blocks (30 seconds) any random orphan will have been resolved and the probability of alternative chains is much lower .000001 than Bitcoin. By the time Bitcoin gets to .7% orphan probability (1 block) BitShares has 60 blocks which would have a probability of being orphaned 1*10^-120.

Offline monsterer

s/BitShares/Bitcoin/
s/delegates/miners/

same thing

Really not sure what you're implying there, but I'm taking a guess that you're saying delegates are the same as miners, which is entirely inaccurate - the principal reason (there are many others) is this:

*) Miners have an ongoing block production cost, which makes producing fake history, or double spending expensive, whereas delegates have no such ongoing cost.

edit: if you're saying that bitcoin transactions are confirmed after 1 confirmation, you are also incorrect. There is no official statement to this effect - however, if you look in the bitshares code base you will find that nominally a confirmed transaction only needs 1 confirmation to be named as such, which is entirely official.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:17:22 am by monsterer »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Bitshares protocol says, nominally, that transactions are confirmed after 1 confirmation. This means you are trusting individual delegates to speak for 100% of the network.
s/BitShares/Bitcoin/
s/delegates/miners/

same thing

Offline monsterer

It depends on how you define "trustless" .. bitcoin has some 10+ mining pools

Bitshares protocol says, nominally, that transactions are confirmed after 1 confirmation. This means you are trusting individual delegates to speak for 100% of the network.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
My current thinking is that bitcoin is indeed trustless, and therefore has a market in which bts cannot compete.
A single mining pools does not currently control >51%
It depends on how you define "trustless" .. bitcoin has some 10+ mining pools

bitshares has 101 delegates .. to be fair let's reduce this to 50 individuals (run the machines/have several delegates in control)

For me, and because 50>10, the bitshares network requires less trust ..

A single honest node on the network should detect any cheating.
holds true in bitshares too .. plus all delegates verify all other delegates ..

Another thing to consider is that hosting a full-node has the greatest benefit to large entities with big business dependent on the bitcoin blockchain, and these entities are still yet to move into the space. The cost of a full node isnt worth it to most bitcoiners, but it certainly will be to players yet to enter.
*agreed*

Offline Permie

• View Profile
My current thinking is that bitcoin is indeed trustless, and therefore has a market in which bts cannot compete.
A single mining pools does not currently control >51%
A single honest node on the network should detect any cheating.

Another thing to consider is that hosting a full-node has the greatest benefit to large entities with big business dependent on the bitcoin blockchain, and these entities are still yet to move into the space. The cost of a full node isnt worth it to most bitcoiners, but it certainly will be to players yet to enter.

This is why I think bts will dominate consumer finance. There are lots of financial applications that dorequire trust, if bts is the most efficient in any one of them then it's got a very bright future.

Bitcoin cannot both remain trustless and include price-feeds and contract enforcement at the protocol level. Prices require an external entity, and can therefore never be trustless.
I believe there are two key markets that will be disrupted by cryptocurrency.
The store of value market and the investment market.
For reasons I shall explain I do not believe a single system can efficiently fill both of these niches.
Two cryptocurrencys, one in each market, will become the major systems in the future. Bitcoin (store of value) and BitShares (investment).

I do not think that BitShares will "kill" Bitcoin due to the tenets of Game Theory, the foundations upon Bitcoin is built.
If the first game-theory-dependent cryptocurrency fails, what does that say of the prospects of an alternative?

Therefore an external exchange is required for a decentralized derivatives market. The prevailing exchange will be the one that is most efficient and least risky.
Maximum efficiency will come from a cryptocurrency with settlement and price finding mechanisms at its core.
Fractions of a second count in derivatives markets and the trade-execution time saved by implementing these features at the protocol level is a huge advantage. Traders need assurances that their trades cannot be reversed, so the quicker the network can come to a consensus and finalize all transactions the better. A purpose-built cryptocurrency for a derivatives market will come to this consensus much faster than bitcoin can and be publicly auditable on a blockchain in real time.
BTSDEX.COM

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline monsterer

What I meant by mutually exclusive seems to be what you are inferring - that, current network size aside, Bitcoin has no redeeming features that BitShares will not dominate, so there is no long term reason for co-existence. You might be right - I would find this outcome surprising though, given the constant evolution on all sides.

Bitcoin is trustless, bitshares is not. The difference in ideology might sound insignificant, but it has a lot of meaning in the cryptocurrency community and in practice we have yet to see how a sybil attack would actually be handled in bitshares.

Offline starspirit

• View Profile
We just need our own version of Lightning network for micropayments.
If the Bitcoin Lightning network is feasible, and allows full scalability of Bitcoin, what does that mean for the strategic positioning of the bitShares network in the market? Are the two networks mutually exclusive, or can they interact to leverage their relative strengths in different applications?

The lightning network is only useful for transfers of funds between users (so it won't be useful for smart contracts and markets). And even then it is most beneficial if users tend to stick with one asset (e.g. BitUSD) and for smaller amounts (so it is perfect for microtransactions). Furthermore, because of the small block intervals and high TPS of BitShares, it allows the settlement period for the BitShares lightning network to be much smaller (we could handle everything settled once per day for everyone).

I'm not sure what you mean by the networks being mutually exclusive. And I don't see what Bitcoin's relative strength would be other than the fact that it (currently) has the stronger network effect.
Thanks.
What I meant by mutually exclusive seems to be what you are inferring - that, current network size aside, Bitcoin has no redeeming features that BitShares will not dominate, so there is no long term reason for co-existence. You might be right - I would find this outcome surprising though, given the constant evolution on all sides.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
If the Bitcoin Lightning network is feasible, and allows full scalability of Bitcoin, what does that mean for the strategic positioning of the bitShares network in the market? Are the two networks mutually exclusive, or can they interact to leverage their relative strengths in different applications?

The lightning network is only useful for transfers of funds between users (so it won't be useful for smart contracts and markets). And even then it is most beneficial if users tend to stick with one asset (e.g. BitUSD) and for smaller amounts (so it is perfect for microtransactions). Furthermore, because of the small block intervals and high TPS of BitShares, it allows the settlement period for the BitShares lightning network to be much smaller (we could handle everything settled once per day for everyone).

I'm not sure what you mean by the networks being mutually exclusive. And I don't see what Bitcoin's relative strength would be other than the fact that it (currently) has the stronger network effect.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:19:44 am by arhag »

Offline starspirit

• View Profile

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem

Offline Permie

• View Profile
Mr Jeans has just posted some data on 'the books' of bitshares and btc

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tj8qlZNkjV37UEwhpOcDtixuJICVWGFLSIXCeECaGlw/edit?pli=1#gid=2138521667

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Zd8gyzZqWz1uSbj2kTmGHYj2pNYaSI7KNoEJzo_WQMg/edit?pli=1#gid=0

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17419.0/topicseen.html

My main findings:

BITCOIN
Annual share inflation (YTD):   10.52%
Earnings per share (EPS):   USD 0.12
Price/EPS (P/E ratio):   2158.5
Return on Equity:   0.046%
Operating expense ratio (expenses/earnings):   278.4

BITSHARES
Annual share inflation (annualized)   1.275%
Earnings per share (EPS):   USD 0.00004353
Price/EPS (P/E ratio):   154.6
Return on Equity   0.647%
Operating expense ratio (expenses/earnings)   13.9

This could be an interesting way for us to monitor Bitshares for profitability, and in the future an interesting way to compare DACs for investment purposes.
BTSDEX.COM

Offline Thom

This infrastructure is very useful, but the only thing preventing micropayments are the fees.

More precisely, the only thing preventing micropayments is the cost of the payment network, which is probably higher than the fees you can collect for micropayments.

This is exactly why I wrote this in the Policies & Procedures index:
Now that I think about it, who has a handle on the pulse of the BitShares ecosystem? I mean, BM has used the comparative metaphor of a DAC or "company" to describe how PoW mining is far less efficient than DPoS, and often states ecosystems must be profitable to be self sustaining. Few here would disagree, but why has nobody asked to see "our books"? What are our actual costs? What are our expenses, both short term and long term?

Until these questions are answered we can't possibly determine if micropayments in BitShares is economically cost effective. It makes little sense to charge a $0.10 fee for an item that costs 25 cents. That's the same situation as the credit card processors face, which is why merchants have a minimum charge amount.

Quote from: cylonmaker2053
nonetheless, regardless of what i, or any of us, want, the market will figure out the best use for the network.

This is also very true, but why would we even propose something that's not economically close to viable, and how could we possibly determine that without accurate cost data, or, market analysis of the target audience and use cases?

TBH, I am very surprised whenever I hear someone propose a new DPoS chain, b/c of the "overhead" that implies. You need witnesses, VPS servers, coders, marketing etc. etc. just like BitShares has. How will all that be established? How long to get all that "alternate chain" infrastructure in place and functional?

Whenever such suggestions are made they never provide analysis of any of those important considerations.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
BTS doesn't have to handle micro payments to be an unimaginable success. all we need is one export/import industry to start using bitUSD or any of the other bitassets for currency hedging and we're talking about potentially billions added to our market value. now imagine if financial institutions started using bitassets to park capital, or if people in financial repressed countries started using bitassets to protect themselves from domestic political risk? we don't need to fight the micro payments battle alongside BTC or the other crypto currencies to be overwhelmingly successful in our core function of providing decentralized p2p asset exchanges.

There is very much a use case for the transaction load that BTS can handle and the micropayment applications that everyone is looking to make. View it in the sense of applications. This infrastructure is very useful, but the only thing preventing micropayments are the fees.

then maybe BTS isn't the best crypto for micro payments. that's fine...i'd rather the network handle multimillion dollar valued transactions from large banks or international trade firms.

nonetheless, regardless of what i, or any of us, want, the market will figure out the best use for the network.

Offline VoR0220

BTS doesn't have to handle micro payments to be an unimaginable success. all we need is one export/import industry to start using bitUSD or any of the other bitassets for currency hedging and we're talking about potentially billions added to our market value. now imagine if financial institutions started using bitassets to park capital, or if people in financial repressed countries started using bitassets to protect themselves from domestic political risk? we don't need to fight the micro payments battle alongside BTC or the other crypto currencies to be overwhelmingly successful in our core function of providing decentralized p2p asset exchanges.

There is very much a use case for the transaction load that BTS can handle and the micropayment applications that everyone is looking to make. View it in the sense of applications. This infrastructure is very useful, but the only thing preventing micropayments are the fees.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline EstefanTT

I agree that MPV is the number one priority.

When we'll have it out there, as amazing as we picture it in our dreams (no pressure BM ;) ), then privacy and micro payments seems to me like one of the next obvious steps.

I'm far from beeing a smart blockchain mastermind, I really don't know how complexe it is to implement these features. I'm just giving my thoughts ;)

That beeing said, I like to imagine myself paying for my coffee with BitEUR ...
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
You're positive it requires $0.1 to pay for the cost of security per transaction? Interesting....

I'm not thinking so much tips so much as permanent streams of income in a micropayment channel. So large quantities of micropayments should equate to some decent amount of revenue.
No, I'm not positive!
But if there isnt such a high security cost, then there is surely nothing stopping a bts-parameter being changed to meet the demand for micro-tx. E.g
If tx < $5, then $0.01-fee
My assumption is that this isn't possible, otherwise micro-tx would be advertised as a feature of DPOS 2.0

I think what we need to know is if transaction-processing is an economy of scale?
Can transaction fees be lower (per-tx) if lots of them are bundled together and executed at the same time, as in a payment channel?
You need to distinguish the MVP (minimum viable product) that the devs are currently coding and that will be released as bts2.0
and the upcoming protocol updates that shareholders can vote on ..
aside from the parameters that can be defined by shareholders too ..

I do agree that micro-transactions is important .. now .. but I also see that the MVP should be most stable, usable, simple, and easy to sell as possible ..

Offline Permie

• View Profile
You're positive it requires $0.1 to pay for the cost of security per transaction? Interesting....

I'm not thinking so much tips so much as permanent streams of income in a micropayment channel. So large quantities of micropayments should equate to some decent amount of revenue.
No, I'm not positive!
But if there isnt such a high security cost, then there is surely nothing stopping a bts-parameter being changed to meet the demand for micro-tx. E.g
If tx < $5, then $0.01-fee
My assumption is that this isn't possible, otherwise micro-tx would be advertised as a feature of DPOS 2.0

I think what we need to know is if transaction-processing is an economy of scale?
Can transaction fees be lower (per-tx) if lots of them are bundled together and executed at the same time, as in a payment channel?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline VoR0220

Are you saying that CMX should issue and manage a more centralized microtx-chain?
The fees are of the order $0.1 to pay for the cost of security. The only way I can see to reduce this cost is to issue a centralized chain where fewer witnesses and hardware have to be compensated.
Stan and Dan have said they're not interested in issuing such things due to the regulatory burden.

Although it could be an improvement on Changetip, a opaque centralized database.

I've had other ideas on how to solve the problem of micro-tx

The only issue I have was that micro transactions are not ideal on bit shares at 0.20$ transaction fee.  :-(
BM has said that fees should reflect the value provided to the customer.

Fees need not necessarily be paid by the end-user, and the fee may not even necesarily need to be paid in transaction fees. Perhaps the social-media wallet-provider could front the fees to attract more customers, or the fees may be paid another way. Maybe tipping-users can have their fees paid for them if they advertise/tweet the tip to a threshold number of unique viewers.

Few minutes ago, I had amazing customer service on elegant theme`s forum.

I've got an idea:

I thought it would be cool if I could send a BitUSD micro payment to this guy to thank him. Just like with ChangeTip.

This guy would be probably happy to have free internet money and then he would be incentivized to go through the process to open a wallet. This wallet has this micropayment functionality and keeps track of the referrals the micropayment bring in.

This wallet would have to be great at inviting people with good copy and an easy sign up process. Then for a viral loop, it would invite the new user to start tipping other and participate in the profit sharing of the wallet. "When you tip and bring in new users, we reward you with x% of all their future transactions"

A smart contract with multisig between the wallet provider and the wallet referrer could split the referral rewards on a monthly basis with a pre-defined x% of it's referral transactions. Everytime someone sends a micropayment the wallet and it's the referrer earns.

The x% would be defined by what is needed for funding development while being high enough to incentivizing it's users to tip.

If such a feature existed in a wallet, a marketer could use this and build a business by signing up people by simply sending tips for good work on the internet. (Fiverr, Content, Youtube, twitter, reddit, email, etc)
Not sure how this could work, but here are my initial thoughts

In this scenario you have 3 entities:
The wallet provider
The tipper
The tippee

The wallet provider wants to earn a profit from providing a tip-based wallet service. These profits can be earned in several ways:
Tx fees of the tippers
Referral income from the tippee
In-wallet advertising
Tip-tagged adverts - John123 wants to send you a tip for 10c! Click here to collect, did you know that XYZ exchange (CCEDK?) can convert to your bank account??
Gaining good-will amongst a particular community in hopes of boosting sales of their other products - in this example CCEDK's nanocard etc

The tipper wants to send a small amount of money to reward good content. They want to pay as low a fee as possible and are likely to want to see the full value of their tip go to the content-creator (tippee). They want this process to be as seamless as possible (one-click) and would like to earn cash-back if possible - perhaps this can be x% of any referral income paid to the wallet provider.

The Tippee wants to feel that their work is valued, they want their tip to be as easy to claim and spend as possible. They want to see instantly why they should bother following through and collect their tip. They do not want to see spam, or suspect they may be the target of a scam.
They would like to know of ways they can further monetize their content and would benefit from CONCISE infographics/info telling them what to do to use BitShares to increase their profits.

I really think that something like this could be the viral-advertising campaign that @CCEDK is looking for. (Could someone tag CCEDK for me, i dont know the userID of CCEDK or how to find it)

Perhaps tips cannot be instantly claimed. Tip-tx's could be bundled into a single transaction and the wallet-provider could pay lower per-tx fees as a consequence of delaying the tx's. Is a single large bundled-tx cheaper for the bts network to process? Is tx-confirmation an economy of scale?

I think the crux of this discussion is whether or not transaction processing can be compensated in a way other than in the units transferred (bts, bitUSD etc)

Offline Permie

• View Profile
Are you saying that CMX should issue and manage a more centralized microtx-chain?
The fees are of the order $0.1 to pay for the cost of security. The only way I can see to reduce this cost is to issue a centralized chain where fewer witnesses and hardware have to be compensated.
Stan and Dan have said they're not interested in issuing such things due to the regulatory burden.

Although it could be an improvement on Changetip, a opaque centralized database.

I've had other ideas on how to solve the problem of micro-tx

The only issue I have was that micro transactions are not ideal on bit shares at 0.20$ transaction fee.  :-(
BM has said that fees should reflect the value provided to the customer.

Fees need not necessarily be paid by the end-user, and the fee may not even necesarily need to be paid in transaction fees. Perhaps the social-media wallet-provider could front the fees to attract more customers, or the fees may be paid another way. Maybe tipping-users can have their fees paid for them if they advertise/tweet the tip to a threshold number of unique viewers.

Few minutes ago, I had amazing customer service on elegant theme`s forum.

I've got an idea:

I thought it would be cool if I could send a BitUSD micro payment to this guy to thank him. Just like with ChangeTip.

This guy would be probably happy to have free internet money and then he would be incentivized to go through the process to open a wallet. This wallet has this micropayment functionality and keeps track of the referrals the micropayment bring in.

This wallet would have to be great at inviting people with good copy and an easy sign up process. Then for a viral loop, it would invite the new user to start tipping other and participate in the profit sharing of the wallet. "When you tip and bring in new users, we reward you with x% of all their future transactions"

A smart contract with multisig between the wallet provider and the wallet referrer could split the referral rewards on a monthly basis with a pre-defined x% of it's referral transactions. Everytime someone sends a micropayment the wallet and it's the referrer earns.

The x% would be defined by what is needed for funding development while being high enough to incentivizing it's users to tip.

If such a feature existed in a wallet, a marketer could use this and build a business by signing up people by simply sending tips for good work on the internet. (Fiverr, Content, Youtube, twitter, reddit, email, etc)
Not sure how this could work, but here are my initial thoughts

In this scenario you have 3 entities:
The wallet provider
The tipper
The tippee

The wallet provider wants to earn a profit from providing a tip-based wallet service. These profits can be earned in several ways:
Tx fees of the tippers
Referral income from the tippee
In-wallet advertising
Tip-tagged adverts - John123 wants to send you a tip for 10c! Click here to collect, did you know that XYZ exchange (CCEDK?) can convert to your bank account??
Gaining good-will amongst a particular community in hopes of boosting sales of their other products - in this example CCEDK's nanocard etc

The tipper wants to send a small amount of money to reward good content. They want to pay as low a fee as possible and are likely to want to see the full value of their tip go to the content-creator (tippee). They want this process to be as seamless as possible (one-click) and would like to earn cash-back if possible - perhaps this can be x% of any referral income paid to the wallet provider.

The Tippee wants to feel that their work is valued, they want their tip to be as easy to claim and spend as possible. They want to see instantly why they should bother following through and collect their tip. They do not want to see spam, or suspect they may be the target of a scam.
They would like to know of ways they can further monetize their content and would benefit from CONCISE infographics/info telling them what to do to use BitShares to increase their profits.

I really think that something like this could be the viral-advertising campaign that @CCEDK is looking for. (Could someone tag CCEDK for me, i dont know the userID of CCEDK or how to find it)

Perhaps tips cannot be instantly claimed. Tip-tx's could be bundled into a single transaction and the wallet-provider could pay lower per-tx fees as a consequence of delaying the tx's. Is a single large bundled-tx cheaper for the bts network to process? Is tx-confirmation an economy of scale?

I think the crux of this discussion is whether or not transaction processing can be compensated in a way other than in the units transferred (bts, bitUSD etc)
BTSDEX.COM

Offline VoR0220