Author Topic: One pool with almost 100% hashpower  (Read 7773 times)

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
Ok, thanks for letting me know.

I've had no luck contacting him/her on the IRC channel given at the pool; I suppose I have to cut my losses and create a different account (unless/until I hear from them). Rats.
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline Delinquency

• View Profile
Sorry,
I thought that the email was unrelated.

I am not an admin on extasie.

Also, they do NORMALLY impose a 1.5% fee  (._.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:16:43 am by Delinquency »

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
Join Extasie!
It monitors your miners
Did I mention 0% donation?

Delinquency, I guess that you are the Extasie admin?

I joined your pool, but neglected to write down the PIN for my account, which PIN is necessary to make important account changes. For example, I currently have no donation percent ;) set, and I also don't have any MMC withdrawal address set. Without my PIN, I can't set either of those.

I would reset my PIN myself, but your pool does not yet have any account recovery (e.g. password or PIN reset) mechanism. I hope and believe that adding that feature is on your "To Do" list, which I can only imagine is a long list. I assume the reset mechanism would send out a custom confirmation link to the email address associated with a user's account, which link takes the user to a secure page, where they can reset their password or PIN.

Because my PIN is lost and unrecoverable, a few days ago I sent you an email asking how we could manually reset my PIN, and you haven't replied. Meanwhile, my three attempts to guess my PIN have failed, and your site blocked my account as a consequence.

My forum profile here allows you to email me. Please reactivate my pool account, then hard reset (manually code) my PIN, and email me the new PIN, so that I can log in and change my account settings.

Incidentally, I had also been trying to set a two percent donation to you (from my pool mining). If you solve this problem, you'll not only get that two percent forever, you'll also still have my recommendation for others to join your pool (I'm one of your very early pool users/supporters).

:)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:15:03 pm by mcgreedy »
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline seraphim

extasie has just opened its doors, you're supporting a newcomer
Meet you on STEEM

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
Currently there is one pool with almost 100% hashpower. It makes MemoryCoin very unsecure at the moment.

We definitely should do something with it.

Which pool is that? After scouring the web and these forums, I'm aware of three different pools:
http://mmc.xpool.xram.co/
http://mmcpool.com/
http://extasie.net/index.php

I have had no luck trying to get a connection to mine with the first two, but finally just got a miner working with the third.

Offline reorder

• View Profile
Currently there is one pool with almost 100% hashpower. It makes MemoryCoin very unsecure at the moment.

The creator has sold the source code to "a few" people.

Personally I feel it should be opensourced.

Still got a few days until they create pools :S has the damage already been done?
I am asking how much it will cost to buy, but I imagine it is a ridiculous sum. I would have a pool up by this evening however.

Opesourced to community of greedy, selfish miners who don't mind to mine with every bit of cpu power they can get for free or steal? Hmm, what could possibly be wrong with this?
The fact that they are already doing this, but on a pool that can damage the network
Not this early. You do not want to 51% the coin you have income in, that would kill it right away.

On the contrary -- this is the perfect time to cement your own business and damage everyone else. You don't have to destroy the currency as such, you *are* supporting it, but are the only party who can mine as much as desired -- and you can let others mine, or not mine as you please.
Until, say difficulty rises and you lose interest.

It is *really* bad idea to release new crypto currencies without already designed mechanism to start pools -- with open source software. People will mine anyway -- making sure that only few will have the privilege to benefit from this is bad. Wasting lots of resources by building closed source "sort of works" pools is expensive for everyone.
But almost all blocks are already being found by the pool, so it does not even need to employ those dirty 'selfish pool' techniques. And for just 3.5% fee you honestly cannot call it abusing the monopoly.

Offline isaacgoldbourne

• View Profile
Community doesn't have any option. No chances to mine solo, only one working pool.

The initial miner was fairly bad, now the issues with pools make many people disappointed. Design of the coin is interesting, I believe it has a bright future if we can get through the initial problems.
But voting doesn't help to get things done. If the pool is only one and we want miners to stay on this coin, we need to accept it has all the power at the moment. Or make it more attractive to solo miners.
The guy has sold the source code, more pools to come in a few days.

I've stopped mining until then and will jump on the next pool to help disperse hashpower
MemoryDice now available! https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1886.0
 Vote for me to be CNO of memorycoin if you want these services. Just send 1 satoshi!
CNO: MVTEcno2tbsJWj7AQEyEjgk72j94hbPHFm

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
Community doesn't have any option. No chances to mine solo, only one working pool.

The initial miner was fairly bad, now the issues with pools make many people disappointed. Design of the coin is interesting, I believe it has a bright future if we can get through the initial problems.
But voting doesn't help to get things done. If the pool is only one and we want miners to stay on this coin, we need to accept it has all the power at the moment. Or make it more attractive to solo miners.

Offline isaacgoldbourne

• View Profile

Still got a few days until they create pools :S has the damage already been done?
I am asking how much it will cost to buy, but I imagine it is a ridiculous sum. I would have a pool up by this evening however.

Opesourced to community of greedy, selfish miners who don't mind to mine with every bit of cpu power they can get for free or steal? Hmm, what could possibly be wrong with this?
The fact that they are already doing this, but on a pool that can damage the network
Not this early. You do not want to 51% the coin you have income in, that would kill it right away.

On the contrary -- this is the perfect time to cement your own business and damage everyone else. You don't have to destroy the currency as such, you *are* supporting it, but are the only party who can mine as much as desired -- and you can let others mine, or not mine as you please.

It is *really* bad idea to release new crypto currencies without already designed mechanism to start pools -- with open source software. People will mine anyway -- making sure that only few will have the privilege to benefit from this is bad. Wasting lots of resources by building closed source "sort of works" pools is expensive for everyone.
I don't mind the serverside being closed source as long as there is at least 6 other pools. It does work well in all fairness but one person should not have this much power.

I got the feeling that the MMC community doesn't mind single persons being in power.
One pool, one marketing guy, one supporter. My proposal to create a team of supporters didn't get a single reaction since it's been posted 7 hours ago...
Link me your post, you have my vote.

And the pool is the only person who can forcibly damage the coin. CTO can't force us to fork etc
 Vote for me to be CNO of memorycoin if you want these services. Just send 1 satoshi!

Offline arcke

• View Profile
    • Diaspora
A lesson to be learned, being memory-hard is not the only thing keeping a few from getting the most of out of coin mining.
OpenPGP: 0x22d7e9cc35375665
PTS - PawnbhoiXhmkrKJEPAsCiwkpP81nRXJGTD
Diaspora profile - https://pod.orkz.net/u/arcke

Offline seraphim

I don't mind the serverside being closed source as long as there is at least 6 other pools. It does work well in all fairness but one person should not have this much power.

I got the feeling that the MMC community doesn't mind single persons being in power.
One pool, one marketing guy, one supporter. My proposal to create a team of supporters didn't get a single reaction since it's been posted 7 hours ago...
Meet you on STEEM

Offline isaacgoldbourne

• View Profile

Offline danbi

• View Profile

Offline reorder

• View Profile

In some scenarios this might actually be the motive. Imagine traditional government systems trying to cripple new cryptocurrencies by 51%-ing them.
Somehow it feels like NSA is not behind this one :)

Offline arcke

• View Profile
    • Diaspora

In some scenarios this might actually be the motive. Imagine traditional government systems trying to cripple new cryptocurrencies by 51%-ing them.
OpenPGP: 0x22d7e9cc35375665
PTS - PawnbhoiXhmkrKJEPAsCiwkpP81nRXJGTD
Diaspora profile - https://pod.orkz.net/u/arcke