Author Topic: Shorting Tips and Best Practices  (Read 6948 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
That statement has been used since last November...

Yes this is exactly why the price is down 80% and no one trusts these announcements.  Going to have to put out 2.0 before Bitshares wins anyone back.

it's always tough to guess whether a major crash is part of the insolvency process, or if it's just a market swing giving an amazing investment opportunity...i'm hoping it's the latter and we'll soon see some big boys enter the market on the buy side to validate our beliefs.

and that's understandable and to those of us who believe in the enterprise, it gives a great opportunity to continue investing at depressed prices.

True! But it's nonetheless hard enough to see Bitshares being beaten down on the markets while we know there are great things coming. I find it hard to believe so many whales just don't believe in it and dump their shares as soon as volumes picks up. Anyway, BTS can't get any much lower, I would be really surprised to see it go back down to the 8.5M$ marketcap as it happened this spring. But it could happen anyway, if 2.0 doesn't come out this fall.

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile

Yes this is exactly why the price is down 80% and no one trusts these announcements.  Going to have to put out 2.0 before Bitshares wins anyone back.

and that's understandable and to those of us who believe in the enterprise, it gives a great opportunity to continue investing at depressed prices.

True! But it's nonetheless hard enough to see Bitshares being beaten down on the markets while we know there are great things coming. I find it hard to believe so many whales just don't believe in it and dump their shares as soon as volumes picks up. Anyway, BTS can't get any much lower, I would be really surprised to see it go back down to the 8.5M$ marketcap as it happened this spring. But it could happen anyway, if 2.0 doesn't come out this fall.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
We'll have to be patient. It's better a nice and smooth product in 3 months than a buggy one in 2.

That being said and beeing short on BitAssets, I will feel better when 2.0 will be out there with everyone promoting it like crazy !

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
We'll have to be patient. It's better a nice and smooth product in 3 months than a buggy one in 2.

That being said and beeing short on BitAssets, I will feel better when 2.0 will be out there with everyone promoting it like crazy !

agreed!

Offline EstefanTT

Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
I am really glad that a lot of these issues were looked at and improved upon for 2.0, that it will allow you to add to collateral for a position, and that the process of shorting a coin to yourself has been combined into one order.

Now if only 2.0 could get here. :)

yeah i'm also really looking forward to it

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I am really glad that a lot of these issues were looked at and improved upon for 2.0, that it will allow you to add to collateral for a position, and that the process of shorting a coin to yourself has been combined into one order.

Now if only 2.0 could get here. :)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
It's because there are expired shorts that take precedent over your new bitUSD buy order.  You can only "roll over" your shorts if there are no expired short orders.

This is not true.  It was true a while ago due to a bug which has now been fixed.

so then what's causing that auto buy activity that's taking precedence over our own trades?

That I don't know.  As mentioned in the other thread I haven't been able to reproduce the issue.  Did you stage both the short and the buy order and then click confirm on both?  I do that to minimize the odds of someone sniping me.

yeah that's exactly how i do it: i stage both orders and then hit execute right after the other. i wonder why this was a problem earlier (first time for me as i do this often), and no longer?

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
It's because there are expired shorts that take precedent over your new bitUSD buy order.  You can only "roll over" your shorts if there are no expired short orders.

This is not true.  It was true a while ago due to a bug which has now been fixed.

so then what's causing that auto buy activity that's taking precedence over our own trades?

That I don't know.  As mentioned in the other thread I haven't been able to reproduce the issue.  Did you stage both the short and the buy order and then click confirm on both?  I do that to minimize the odds of someone sniping me.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
Like xeroc said earlier in this thread, your "invisible" orders are the margin calls which are buying at up to +10% of the feed price, and they take precedence over normal buys.

wow ok interesting, thank you for clarifying. why aren't these input in the order book? is it to protect the auto triggered buys from being gauged by sellers just setting shorts at the high end of the 10% range? do you know how this will be handled in 2.0 for either the bitUSD or bond markets?

Offline svk

Like xeroc said earlier in this thread, your "invisible" orders are the margin calls which are buying at up to +10% of the feed price, and they take precedence over normal buys.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks