Author Topic: Deloitte trialing Blockchain for clients... Everyone mentioned except  (Read 4799 times)

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Why is it always Ethereum and never Bitshares.
People know what it is, because it never changes.
Sounds like a group that knows how to iterate and pivot, great stuff for innovation.
Read 'the lean startup'. I think you will enjoy it

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
I personally don't mind losing the yield, I think that can be achieved in the bond market.

For me the question is whether the market will find BTS sufficiently decentralised, robust and simple and will the premium associated with making BitAssets more liquid make them attractive by comparison to using a centralised exchange. If so, you can compete with centralised exchanges or in partnership with them (in the case of CCEDK) & in that alone there is a reasonably lucrative future/base.

OK so if the bond market functions well enough to replace the current yield on bitUSD, then i agree...not a bad idea to segment the currency from the interest-bearing asset. the bond market may need to mature before there'll be much demand for bitUSD, though. we'll see, i suppose...

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
As a first approximation, the failure rate of Bitcoin exchanges is 45%. The median lifetime of exchanges is 381 days.

http://www.coindesk.com/45-percent-of-bitcoin-exchanges-fail-study-finds/

If you translate the risk of holding a fiat iou on a centralised exchange into an annualised cost, it is an extremely risky proposition.
However someone like me who is doing a lot of trading lately with a portion of my portfolio, it is my only option (BitAssets 1.0 are not liquid enough) and I am in fiat IOU's up to 50% of the time.

I'm not sure about the very short term prospects for BTS price but there is definitely a market for a simple, robust, decentralised blockchain with liquid BitAssets & performance (BTS 2.0) that competes with a centralised exchange. + BitAssets have already been in existence for nearly a year.

Coinbase for example has already received >$75 million in investment and is only currently 7th in daily volume on CMC. 

BTS has many areas of opportunity but just becoming a top 10 exchange would still make it very successful regardless of what happens with Ethereum.

yeah except that i'm worried the incentive to buy bitassets, esp bitUSD, is being killed with 2.0:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17576.msg223724.html#msg223724

i completely agree that the financial world needs a blockchain-based p2p asset exchange and i loved the idea of the pegged assets that offered yield to buyers as an incentive to park capital. doing away with that yield and instead charging a premium to buy bitassets will erase a lot of the potential demand.

i hope i'm grossly misunderstanding this change, so i look forward to comments from others in community.

I personally don't mind losing the yield, I think that can be achieved in the bond market.

For me the question is whether the market will find BTS sufficiently decentralised, robust and simple and will the premium associated with making BitAssets more liquid make them attractive by comparison to using a centralised exchange. If so, you can compete with centralised exchanges or in partnership with them (in the case of CCEDK) & in that alone there is a reasonably lucrative future/base.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
As a first approximation, the failure rate of Bitcoin exchanges is 45%. The median lifetime of exchanges is 381 days.

If you translate the risk of holding a fiat iou on a centralised exchange into an annualised cost, it is an extremely risky proposition.
However someone like me who is doing a lot of trading lately with a portion of my portfolio, it is my only option (BitAssets 1.0 are not liquid enough) and I am in fiat IOU's up to 50% of the time.

I'm not sure about the very short term prospects for BTS price but there is definitely a market for a simple, robust, decentralised blockchain with liquid BitAssets & performance (BTS 2.0) that competes with a centralised exchange. + BitAssets have already been in existence for nearly a year.

Coinbase for example has already received >$75 million in investment and is only currently 7th in daily volume on CMC. 

BTS has many areas of opportunity but just becoming a top 10 exchange would still make it very successful regardless of what happens with Ethereum.

yeah except that i'm worried the incentive to buy bitassets, esp bitUSD, is being killed with 2.0:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,17576.msg223724.html#msg223724

i completely agree that the financial world needs a blockchain-based p2p asset exchange and i loved the idea of the pegged assets that offered yield to buyers as an incentive to park capital. doing away with that yield and instead charging a premium to buy bitassets will erase a lot of the potential demand.

i hope i'm grossly misunderstanding this change, so i look forward to comments from others in community.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

BTS has many areas of opportunity but just becoming a top 10 exchange (With BitUSD being far less riskier than centralised options) would still make it very successful regardless of what happens with Ethereum.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:42:10 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

It is frustrating when Bitshares seems to be the redheaded step child of the crypto world (apologies to any redheaded step children out there). As near as I can tell Etherium has a great image, a great scope, but suffers from the same problem every large project does: It is worked on by humans. Where there are humans there is politics and conflict. They present a good external image but Vitalik's recent lashings out at Dan speak to an environment more akin to a traditional project than the dream team/project they show the media.

To beat some dead horses: Apple was late to the MP3 game with the iPod. Apple was late to the cell phone game with the iPhone. Tesla was late to the electric car game with their roadster.

Point being that the darling of the media's eye can quickly shift when better products emerge. Bitshares and Etherium can have great success without it needing to be at the expense of the other. Two approaches to similar problems opening up onto a massive market place.

Our time will come. In hodling I trust.

Good insights.  +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

It is frustrating when Bitshares seems to be the redheaded step child of the crypto world (apologies to any redheaded step children out there). As near as I can tell Etherium has a great image, a great scope, but suffers from the same problem every large project does: It is worked on by humans. Where there are humans there is politics and conflict. They present a good external image but Vitalik's recent lashings out at Dan speak to an environment more akin to a traditional project than the dream team/project they show the media.

To beat some dead horses: Apple was late to the MP3 game with the iPod. Apple was late to the cell phone game with the iPhone. Tesla was late to the electric car game with their roadster.

Point being that the darling of the media's eye can quickly shift when better products emerge. Bitshares and Etherium can have great success without it needing to be at the expense of the other. Two approaches to similar problems opening up onto a massive market place.

i agree completely. in fact, i consider myself lucky to be able to continue loading up on BTS at these suppressed prices. BTS being successful is anything but certain, so we def need to keep building the core products, marketing the hell out of them, and looking to bring on more application devs to plug us into other parts of the economy.

Offline Riverhead

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
Where is Ethereum anyway? This is not a rhetorical question.

Do they have a client?
I went to www.ethereum.org but couldnt find anything there.

i wish Ethereum immense success, the world sure can use more crypto experimentation. Those guys seem to be trying to tackle the entire world of possible crypto, but no matter what their successes, we should always look to dominate the p2p asset exchange market. i think the worst decision we could make at this point is to dilute efforts to make the best exchanges and pegged assets with tangential ventures that butt up against other crypto ventures. simply producing a handful of winning pegged assets, like bitUSD, that go into broad circulation would make us all immensely rich and liberate countless sheeple from financial repression.

Offline giant middle finger

• View Profile
If BitShares was an experiment .. what would you call ethereum?

simple POW to POS chain, proposed with months of hindsight marketing advantage over the BitShrares real time dynamic development marketing plan (DDMPTM) which evolves over years of real time
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:53:11 am by giant middle finger »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline hrossik

• View Profile

http://intheoreum.org/#welcome

Love this!  :D I guess it applies to any cryptocoin, not just Ethereum, including us (hopefully only until 2.0, which means hopefully not for long)..
BTS: hr0550

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Where is Ethereum anyway? This is not a rhetorical question.

Do they have a client?
I went to www.ethereum.org but couldnt find anything there.

I recall looking at their website and they had a huge page of consultants etc... IIRC dozens.

I visited it recently and noticed they only have a small group of like 6-7 people listed.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Still in the ether...

http://intheoreum.org/#welcome

INTHEOREUM

ULTRA-CENTRALIZED TURING INCOMPLETE ARBITRARY TRUST APPLICATION ECONOMY

Based on Bobchain Technology

THE is the exchange symbol for Theory,  the fuel that powers the InTheoreum network. Its kind of like money except we don't say that. Once a transaction has occured a C-APP can ask Bob about the state of a particular user account and Bob will respond with an accurate answer measured in Theory. Or not. It's as simple as that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:18:50 am by Permie »
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM