Author Topic: Monetizing of PeerTracks and MUSE *suggestion thread*  (Read 16568 times)

Offline amencon

• View Profile
I think it's great that there will be no audio ads.  It will make it a much easier "sell" to on-board new users quickly.  Whether it's crypto-currencies, messaging apps, social media platforms, many types of games or almost any type of peer-to-peer service the value is in the size of the network.

There has been a fair bit of discussion about the streaming services and I realize I'm still not sure exactly what is being offered.  Most talk about streaming as a Pandora type radio service but will PeerTracks also offer a Spotify type service where I can tag the songs I like and have it stored for replay without having to let PeerTracks choose what I will listen to next?

Personally, as long as my music listening session isn't interrupted, I'm mostly ok with just about any kind of advertising.  Perhaps artists or other companies can pay to be put on a rotation of ads that come as a modal pop-up upon signing into the PeerTracks site?  Banner ads are an obvious option as well.

I think it would be also smart to build in some basic social features for free users with more advanced features for premium users.  The idea being that free users can add friends or join circles or whatever to get them hooked, but then some of the more advanced convenience services would have to be unlocked by upgrading their accounts.  I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to build in some way to message friends, post music finds on some kind of personal feed or wall you can share and also share custom playlists, possibly post them publicly and allow others to up/down vote them for people that don't want to build their own playlists and would rather search for some pre-built ones.

Speaking of social interactions on PeerTracks it might also be nice to build in some integrations other social platforms as well.  For example, that way as a user I could link my PeerTracks account to my Facebook/Twitter/Google+ accounts and then with a button click share songs or playlists with my contacts on those services as well which would be a great way to have users inadvertently advertise PeerTracks to potentially a lot of people on already established social networks.  Also maybe PeerTrack users could share with others more than just the songs such as info on bands or perks as a token holder of various artists as well.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
later on when mobile apps are developed and live you could go a similar approach like spotify ... OFFline hearing with monthly subscriptions ..

For example i don't get it why soundcloud don't go this way ...it's pain in the ass to hear a liveset without breaks due connectivity …personally i love SOUNDCLOUD ... it's the main DJ/Producer platform IMO ... most of musicians i know publish there...
----
- OFFLINE Hearing
- Strategic partnerships (soundcloud etc.  --> why see them as compititor)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 09:59:32 am by cass »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline giant middle finger

• View Profile
What happens to the users who just want to listen to unlimited ad free music without all of that other stuff like tokens, you know the ones that just unchecked the box for notifications.

This single click - audio play and go away - model was made famous by Pandora.  Only in our case, you will not only be able to rate songs you like to affect your random playlist, but also purchase audio or equity from the artist.

Offline mint chocolate chip

They have said absolutely no audio ads.
Because everyone despises them.
I bet that they change their tune, audio ads are inevitable.

I bet they dont.  They do have a plan and it doesn't involve audio ads.
I agree with @Ander .. costs have been reduced drastically simply by using the blockchain tech .. so why shouldn't income be reduced to only those streams that are not-annoying?
Their advertising plan is unique and sounds good from the user perspective, but brand awareness results for advertisers and how much an advertiser is willing to spend is kind of unknown. The advertiser has a lot of work to do in this model as well, like creating relationships with artists and then to have them continuously push their products, creating marketing campaigns that align retail discount distribution and freebies, demographic studies of users, etc. This is something a lot more difficult then a 30 second audio clip.

What happens to the users who just want to listen to unlimited ad free music without all of that other stuff like tokens, you know the ones that just unchecked the box for notifications.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

I bet they dont.  They do have a plan and it doesnt involve audio ads.
I agree with @Ander .. costs have been reduced drastically simply by using the blockchain tech .. so why shouldn't income be reduced to only those streams that are not-annoying?

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

I bet they dont.  They do have a plan and it doesnt involve audio ads.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Some great ideas on here. I share Bob's view that PeerTracks is probably further along with this than Cob's post suggests to some. They are just making sure they haven't missed any bright ideas. One other thought: Have two levels of accounts, free and premium/paid. I know you don't want audio ads, but what if artists could pay to have their songs added into an appropriate list? Then free members would get streaming music that includes the occasional song that is only added in there because someone paid to promote it. It would still need to fit roughly with their chosen genre, etc., and there would be a limit of one such song out of every ten songs or every 30 minutes, whatever is appropriate, etc.

Offline roadscape

Everyone except for artists who profit off them! And without artists, Peertracks is nothing.

Between subscriptions and excessive ads, Pandora can't even turn a profit.
How is Peertracks going to do it without either?

I do hope they have a secret sauce revenue plan :)
One that's a win-win for artists *and* listeners.
But something's gotta give, IMO.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline mint chocolate chip

Offline Ander

• View Profile

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline roadscape

Aren't audio ads by far the greatest source of income for streaming services?

As a listener, I despise them. But without audio ads, artists earn less. I say let the market decide ;)

Apparently tickets & merchandise are among the biggest sources of income for artists.
So offer ticket sales on the platform and fan stores.
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline bobmaloney

Please consider the possibility of rebranding the MUSIC/MUSE blockchain as more of an comprehensive entertainment blockchain.

Leave the door wide open for further developments and projects to make use of the chain for entertainment based property/assets/etc.

(such as authors/ebooks/audiobooks, podcasts, videocasts, educational material, etc.)

@cob  -   As I have posted earlier, I believe the software you guys have built for peertracks may be perfectly adopted (with minimal changes) for something like a *peerbooks* platform as well.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline Ander

• View Profile
Its like you could go as far to create a social network for people who hold coins and connect with people with similar interests.   

Its like thats what MUSE is actually all about.

(And selling things to those people)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:27:34 am by Ander »

Offline hodor

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hodor
Leaderboards for who is the biggest fan (owns the most artistcoins of an artist) is a must.  People will buy coins to try to get themselves to the top.

This is actually a brilliant idea. Its like you could go as far to create a social network for people who hold coins and connect with people with similar interests.   

+5% hodor

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/16/game-of-thrones-hodor-releases-dance-track-listen
Hodor hodor hodor hodor hodor, hodor hodor.

Offline ghost_of_the_internet

• View Profile
Leaderboards for who is the biggest fan (owns the most artistcoins of an artist) is a must.  People will buy coins to try to get themselves to the top.

This is actually a brilliant idea. Its like you could go as far to create a social network for people who hold coins and connect with people with similar interests.