Author Topic: Monetizing of PeerTracks and MUSE *suggestion thread*  (Read 16314 times)

TravelsAsia

What about giving listeners or curators the ability to earn a small # of tokens or credit by opting in to audio ads? That way, peertracks can tout itself as 100% free of audio ads for those who want it that way, but it can also monetize a ton of $$$ from listeners who don't mind audio ads.

Peertracks could take a cue from LinkedIn, which currently appears to have 3 major revenue streams: premium subscriptions, advertising revenues, and talent solutions (e.g., HR recruiting tools for headhunters and corporations). Having features for professional networking would make PeerTracks something of a one-stop destination. It could have premium subscription-based accounts that allow many different types of music industry professionals to connect to others via e-mail: artists, aspiring band-members, curators/talent scouts, DJs, recording studios, technicians, record producers, nightclub owners, music lawyers.

Brilliant!

Tuck Fheman

Remember our audience has the attention span of a squirrel.

Why did that sentence register as a "Mention" to Tuck Fheman?
 :P

Offline betax

• View Profile
So if I'm a popular playlist creator. And I am building my "Best House of 2015" playlist and will include an Avicii and a David Guetta song in it, I would be smart to buy Avicii UIA and David Guetta UIAs before I make the list public.

Obviously not the best house music, but a very good investment.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
I thought your original (but redacted) post outlining some of your monetization plans were brilliant.

That being said, I think one bitshares 2.0-esque referral type system that may work somewhat would be charging for a "Premium" account which allows the user to submit playlists and/or entire custom channels (let them be their own DJ with access to the peertracks catalogue).

Allow the user to make $$$ (or at least -$$$ off their monthly "Premium") based off how many people and how popular their playlists are.

Just to add some additional support to my earlier suggestion:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/09/apple-music-interview-jimmy-iovine-eddy-cue
http://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2015/07/06/humans-not-algorithms-apple-music-revolution-and-growing-influence-curator
http://www.mondaynote.com/2015/07/05/human-curation-is-back/

Apple is going big on human curation for good reason. I think it would benefit Peertracks to make it a highlighted feature with the possibility to earn income from it.
This can not only allow for competition to create better playlists and channels, but could also be a way to bring about new era of popular DJ's or even new talk radio type personalities like Howard Stern.

So you are suggesting public playlist creation would be a paid feature.
They would be ranked how exactly? upvotes?
And how are the playlist creators compensated exactly? The upvotes being payments?

If so, why would a user upvote/pay to have a playlist rise in the ranking? What does that person get out of it (unless he's an artist featured on that playlist of course)?

Not a paid feature - Rather a built-in, standard feature quite similar to the function of Google Music, where a search brings up not only tracks, albums and artists - but also playlists that might include or be related to the search.

I would suspect that the most accurate and useful way to rank individual playlists would be how often they are chosen by listeners/users of Peertracks and whether they like/save/share the playlist as well as how often they go back to listen to it.

I imagine that it would be best for Peertracks to incorporate and handle payments from their end - using a small fraction of the funds that will currently be used to pay the artists/labels, etc.
I would suspect this feature should sell itself to artists/labels, etc. as one of the primary goals is getting users to listen and use Peertracks as their source of music/entertainment.
The way other systems currently use playlist curators is pretty much equal to unpaid marketers.

Payments to playlist curators may get tricky due to regulation/tax/whateverelse overhead - I suspect the CNX guys may know this area much better than I.
If Peertracks is successful, popular playlist curators would be able to compensate themselves by investing in smaller, lesser-known artists before finding their way to their well-shared and populated playlists.
I'm sure the most successful ones will have to navigate a new era of payola, as I suspect that with the Peertracks system - any abuse will find them losing subscribers quickly.
At the very least, I would imagine you can give them credit toward, or completely cover premium accounts for useful curators - maybe tokens akin to Brownie.PTS as well?

Additionally, I see every one of these features ALSO working well carried into an author/ebooks platform.
I try to view everything on this blockchain through both filters lately and they seem to match perfectly as far as I can see.
Maybe more importantly, I believe that independent authors, may offer a very important adoption advantage simply due to the fact that they write - and write well - often news, blogs and opinion articles besides just books.
What a terrific and effective way to propagate the formula ;-)

Regarding Playlists compensation.

Right now every user can create a playlist and make it public or private.
Technically they CAN get compensated for it by owning UIAs of the artists included in the playlist.

So if I'm a popular playlist creator. And I am building my "Best House of 2015" playlist and will include an Avicii and a David Guetta song in it, I would be smart to buy Avicii UIA and David Guetta UIAs before I make the list public.
I would by those UIA or buy more since I know the "Best House of 2015" list will get thousands of streams leading to possible mp3 downloads, merch sales and concert ticket sales. All of those things increase the value of my new holdings and get compensated like this.
It's only a matter of time before people figure this out (PeerTracks can always pump out explainer videos that can help people profit from the site)
This by the way increases the QUALITY of playlists. People making public playlist (that do hold UIA) will think twice before adding a crappy song. They will make damn sure every single track is perfect and positioned in the right order, and that the list itself is well hashtagged.
All at no cost to PeerTracks. The users will ensure quality human curated playlists due to their own self-interest.

Edit: Keep in mind this is all at no cost to the artist. The more his songs are included in popular playlists, the more he makes too. We aren't shrinking the pie here.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:47:59 pm by cob »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline emailtooaj

Let the people bet whatever amount they want on songs they like and let them get paid every month when/if they reach the top 100 best songs on the platform (charts)...
Or much better copy the BINARY OPTION system from the forex markets...
Let the people bet on songs making a CALL (if they like it)  or PUT (if they don't) using the music tokens !!!
Let them have a potential profit from 70% to 85% and let the platform keep the rest!

PLEASE SEE HOW BINARY OPTIONS WORK and implement the idea here !!!!

This is a great suggestion. A cool way to keep the listener busy and addicted! Would have to work around it being "gambling" related :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline bobmaloney

^^^^

Just to make a BTS 2.0 referral-like operation clarification:

Only those with premium accounts would be able to take advantage of the benefits of actually becoming a curator.

I would think every user should be able to make and share playlists, but only premium accounts would be able to collect pay for their use and popularity.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline bobmaloney

I thought your original (but redacted) post outlining some of your monetization plans were brilliant.

That being said, I think one bitshares 2.0-esque referral type system that may work somewhat would be charging for a "Premium" account which allows the user to submit playlists and/or entire custom channels (let them be their own DJ with access to the peertracks catalogue).

Allow the user to make $$$ (or at least -$$$ off their monthly "Premium") based off how many people and how popular their playlists are.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/09/apple-music-interview-jimmy-iovine-eddy-cue
http://www.thedrum.com/opinion/2015/07/06/humans-not-algorithms-apple-music-revolution-and-growing-influence-curator

Apple is going big on human curation for good reason. I think it would benefit Peertracks to make it a highlighted feature with the possibility to earn income from it.
This can not only allow for competition to create better playlists and channels, but could also be a way to bring about new era of popular DJ's or even new talk radio type personalities like Howard Stern.

And how are the playlist creators compensated exactly? The upvotes being payments?

If so, why would a user upvote/pay to have a playlist rise in the ranking? What does that person get out of it (unless he's an artist featured on that playlist of course)?

Not a paid feature - Rather a built-in, standard feature quite similar to the function of Google Music, where a search brings up not only tracks, albums and artists - but also playlists that might include or be related to the search.

I would suspect that the most accurate and useful way to rank individual playlists would be how often they are chosen by listeners/users of Peertracks and whether they like/save/share the playlist as well as how often they go back to listen to it.

I imagine that it would be best for Peertracks to incorporate and handle payments from their end - using a small fraction of the funds that will currently be used to pay the artists/labels, etc.
I would suspect this feature should sell itself to artists/labels, etc. as one of the primary goals is getting users to listen and use Peertracks as their source of music/entertainment.
The way other systems currently use playlist curators is pretty much equal to unpaid marketers.

Payments to playlist curators may get tricky due to regulation/tax/whateverelse overhead - I suspect the CNX guys may know this area much better than I.
If Peertracks is successful, popular playlist curators would be able to compensate themselves by investing in smaller, lesser-known artists before finding their way to their well-shared and populated playlists.
I'm sure the most successful ones will have to navigate a new era of payola, as I suspect that with the Peertracks system - any abuse will find them losing subscribers quickly.
At the very least, I would imagine you can give them credit toward, or completely cover premium accounts for useful curators - maybe tokens akin to Brownie.PTS as well?

Additionally, I see every one of these features ALSO working well carried into an author/ebooks platform.
I try to view everything on this blockchain through both filters lately and they seem to match perfectly as far as I can see.
Maybe more importantly, I believe that independent authors, may offer a very important adoption advantage simply due to the fact that they write - and write well - often news, blogs and opinion articles besides just books.
What a terrific and effective way to propagate the formula ;-)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:20:07 pm by bobmaloney »
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bobmaloney

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:29:00 pm by bobmaloney »
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline pendragon3

Let the people bet whatever amount they want on songs they like and let them get paid every month when/if they reach the top 100 best songs on the platform (charts)...
Let the people bet on songs making a CALL (if they like it)  or PUT (if they don't) using the music tokens !!!
Let them have a potential profit from 70% to 85% and let the platform keep the rest!

Intriguing idea, but would it be legal? For speculators based in the United States, probably not...

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Now THAT'S what I'd like to see!

Offline lafona

• View Profile
  • BitShares: lafona
A while back there was an idea to use bitcoin mining to replace ads for webpages. I think idea was that the webpage would use the cpu for a few seconds mine and this would more or less pay for the content. I'm wondering if you could do something similar but with hard drive space. When they download the app they decide how much storage to contribute and based on that they get so much 'free' music. Considering the amount of hard drive space a music lover would normally dedicate to their library, this could be a reasonable trade off. Not sure if it is even feasible but you might be able to talk to @Taek or one of the other people working on blockchain based storage.
BTS Witnesses: delegate-1.lafona     Witness Thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21569.msg280911/topicseen.html#msg280911
MUSE Witness: lafona

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Reward attention and allow choice - if a user accepts audio ads or visual ads in their screen, give them a cut.

Build playlist markets for different genres where users can vote for songs to be in the list for a very small fee.  (Love the scoreboard idea Ander!)

Allow users to send a song or a playlist for a fee....
Allow users to pay for someone else's playlist.....
Charge a fee to allow users to publish a playlist or suggestions for a new song....

Have regional or genre based old/new song/artist competitions......all voting generates a fee.....

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Jamendo.com has an interesting business model .. they actually make their money by "selling" licenses for commercial use of music .. how about that?
https://licensing.jamendo.com/en

You should DEFINITELY get in touch with them!