Author Topic: Syncing issues  (Read 5705 times)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Thank you guys.

I still have problems. It is stuck at 1% transaction history and the whole thing crashes. I guess it is because I am running on a very low memory notebook and the client as is can't support it. I think I ll just wait for cryptonomex to come out..

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

after i have deleted evreything other than chain and wallet, it scanned 50% and when i entered the exchnaged it crashed. Once opened again is stuck  at 1%.

The console doesn't work. whtever I type nothing happens.
Also I haven't been voting since ages since everythime I open the client all delegates are unticked. and even if I tick and vote someone by sending funds to myself then votes are gone again...

Basically, nothing works...lol..A huge pump must be on the way...When my client don't work usually we have pumps...
Buy as much BTS as you can..lol

You can't go into the markets while scanning is still going on. It will crash just like you said and you will have to start over.

You simply have to get your client open.. and leave your computer alone untl the client is done syncing with the network.. THEN you can go about accessing the markets etc.

Issues you are having are likely due to the system likely not running on SSD and you have other things going on in the system creating contention for the clients resources.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
how come there are days that my client doesn't respond to anything and other days is working just fine? what determines how well my client is working? some days it just absorbs all my memory and other days not. I am unhappy when I want to trade and I can't :(.

Also should I get worried with what I mentioned about voting delegates? That voting or not doesn't make any difference?

Any other idea how to make my client work again? Should I keep deleting the files (other than wallet and chain) and try again and again until it works or there is a better way?

Am I the only one with no working client or everyone else is trading externally really?
I would BACKUP (not only not delete) the wallet file and the password to access the wallet and then freshly install Bitshares.
What OS do you use for Bitshares and how much Ram do you have?

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
how come there are days that my client doesn't respond to anything and other days is working just fine? what determines how well my client is working? some days it just absorbs all my memory and other days not. I am unhappy when I want to trade and I can't :(.

Also should I get worried with what I mentioned about voting delegates? That voting or not doesn't make any difference?

Any other idea how to make my client work again? Should I keep deleting the files (other than wallet and chain) and try again and again until it works or there is a better way?

Am I the only one with no working client or everyone else is trading externally really?

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
after i have deleted evreything other than chain and wallet, it scanned 50% and when i entered the exchnaged it crashed. Once opened again is stuck  at 1%.

The console doesn't work. whtever I type nothing happens.
Also I haven't been voting since ages since everythime I open the client all delegates are unticked. and even if I tick and vote someone by sending funds to myself then votes are gone again...

Basically, nothing works...lol..A huge pump must be on the way...When my client don't work usually we have pumps...
Buy as much BTS as you can..lol

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
My transactions scanning history is stuck at 0% once I am fully synched. What can I do? I have opened and restarted 10 times..
You are synced? Can you let the client run for an hour and type "info" in the console? does it say 0% for transaction_scanning_progress too?

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
thanks deludo. I ll try  to delete everything other the wallet and chain and see how it goes..
Attention: MAKE SURE you actually back up the wallet and the password you use to access the wallet, meaning safing it on a USB stick or something like that! If you do something like delete everything but and then restart the client it could be overwritten, all depending on what you do exactly! So make sure you have safed the two things somewhere else!

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
thanks deludo. I ll try  to delete everything other the wallet and chain and see how it goes..

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
it appears completely stuck every time. Like the wallet doesn't work. The command line doesn't respond and the exchange doesn't appear. I think that the solution would be to delete something in the appfile but I don't want to delete something that will make things worst.
There are three things worth saving before you delete anything:
1. The "wallet" folder and / or (at best both for security) a wallet backup (go to File -> Export Wallet)
2. The password with which you open the wallet
3. Not important for security but for convinience: The "chain" folder. You can bring it back after a new install and so you don't have to download the blockchain again.

In your case I would backup these three things and then erase the app folder (or rename it, then you can rerename it in case you messed up with the backup) and uninstall bitshares and install it again. Then before running it replace the chain folder and either replace the wallet folder or import the backed up wallet (json file) in the client (File-> Import backup).

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
it appears completely stuck every time. Like the wallet doesn't work. The command line doesn't respond and the exchange doesn't appear. I think that the solution would be to delete something in the appfile but I don't want to delete something that will make things worst.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
hello beautiful people,

My transactions scanning history is stuck at 0% once I am fully synched. What can I do? I have opened and restarted 10 times..

Thanks
Might be the solution or not but make sure that the lougout timeout (user, advanced, preferences) is set to 999999 / very high. With me transaction scanning alsways begins at 0 again after having been logged out.

the "info" command also tells you whether it makes any progress at all. check the "walle_scan_progess" line.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:26:05 pm by delulo »

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
hello beautiful people,

Thanks

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Thanks a lot xeroc!

So what I did in the end that made it work: Because the config.json file didn't exist I created a new one like xeroc said. That though didn't let me start the client anymore (error msg). Then I deleted the config.json file again and restarted the client and that created a config.json file by itself  :o

I then followed the instructions here: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Chain-Server

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
There is no config.json file in my .BitShares folder though, only a node_config.json file which contains: listen_endpoint..., accept_incomming_connections:...., wait_if_endpoint:..., private key:....

This is odd .. Ok.. let's try this:
1) open your client or gui
2) go to the console
3) type "info"
4) the directory that stores the config file is given as "client_data_dir"
5) in that dir. there has to be a config.json file
hmmm client_data_dir says: "home/.../.BitShares" but there are still only these two json files in the .BitShares folder.

Can you create an empty file (via "touch config.json") and restart the client? It should write the default configuration into it!

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
There is no config.json file in my .BitShares folder though, only a node_config.json file which contains: listen_endpoint..., accept_incomming_connections:...., wait_if_endpoint:..., private key:....

2) go to the console
3) type "info"
hmmm client_data_dir says: "home/.../.BitShares" but there are still only these two json files in the .BitShares folder.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

2) go to the console
3) type "info"

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
So in case the chain server I connect to is lying it would be apparent that it did lie as soon as I start connecting to the p2p network myself?
Yup .. I am not even sure the chain server CAN lie at all .. because active delegates have to sign each block that the chain servers are broadcasting to you .. to fake a block he needed the delegates signing key!
Ok. Great.

That is all that is in there.
Then there is also a checkpoints.json file with a bunch of strings in it.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
So in case the chain server I connect to is lying it would be apparent that it did lie as soon as I start connecting to the p2p network myself?
Yup .. I am not even sure the chain server CAN lie at all .. because active delegates have to sign each block that the chain servers are broadcasting to you .. to fake a block he needed the delegates signing key!

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the hint. Is it possible download the chain from more than one chainserver so that it is effectively a 2 out of 2 or 3 out of 3 or so trust model?
I am afraid it's not :(

It should require less trust anyway because I do not download a file someone created but information tat has been standardized by the protocol. Agreed?
Yup. Blocks are still validated. Just the download process is faster

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the hint. Is it possible download the chain from more than one chainserver so that it is effectively a 2 out of 2 or 3 out of 3 or so trust model?
I am afraid it's not :(

It should require less trust anyway because I do not download a file someone created but information tat has been standardized by the protocol. Agreed?
Yup. Blocks are still validated. Just the download process is faster

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
There are also chain server from which you can sync:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Chain-Server

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Thanks Fox,

I forget that it was possible to use get_info in the client.... I have version 0.9.2 which should be the latest version.

Get info also tells me:
Blockchain_head_block_age: 51 weeks.
blockchain_head_block_time: ...

When I do get_info again after a few minutes the blockchain_head_block_time is still exactly the same. So it means it doesn't actually sync. Why? What can I do about it?

If there is someone I would trust for externally downloading the blockchain than it would be fav! But I would prefer to not do that at all... Thanks though for the hint. I wouldn't have thought about it...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
There are also chain server from which you can sync:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Chain-Server

Offline Fox

To speed the blockchain sync process you may consider reviewing a thread maintained by fav where a recent copy of the chain folder is available to download:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16510.0.html

Surely trust is involved with this method. Although I have not downloaded and used the offered chain, I know th reputation of fav to be trustworthy at this time.
Witness: fox

Offline Fox

Using the CLI you may get your version number within the client by issuing:
Code: [Select]
get_info
You may also get the version number from the command line by starting the client with the version switch:
Code: [Select]
./bitshare_client --version
Witness: fox

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I have compiled the latest Linux client version (0.9.2). I said should because I downloaded it 1 month ago and there was no new release here since then: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases. Is there a formal way to check what version I have?

The issue: I synced and got stuck at 33% yesterday. I have let it sync for the whole night and still was at 33% this morning.
After having deleated the .bitshares folder I started syncing again and I am now stuck at 3% since a few hours.

It says: Severe network problems. Last block synced 355 days and .. hours and ... seconds ago. And that amount of time is growing.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:27:30 am by delulo »