Author Topic: Syncing issues  (Read 5783 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
There is no config.json file in my .BitShares folder though, only a node_config.json file which contains: listen_endpoint..., accept_incomming_connections:...., wait_if_endpoint:..., private key:....

This is odd .. Ok.. let's try this:
1) open your client or gui
2) go to the console
3) type "info"
4) the directory that stores the config file is given as "client_data_dir"
5) in that dir. there has to be a config.json file

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
So in case the chain server I connect to is lying it would be apparent that it did lie as soon as I start connecting to the p2p network myself?
Yup .. I am not even sure the chain server CAN lie at all .. because active delegates have to sign each block that the chain servers are broadcasting to you .. to fake a block he needed the delegates signing key!
Ok. Great.

There is no config.json file in my .BitShares folder though, only a node_config.json file which contains: listen_endpoint..., accept_incomming_connections:...., wait_if_endpoint:..., private key:....
That is all that is in there.
Then there is also a checkpoints.json file with a bunch of strings in it.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
So in case the chain server I connect to is lying it would be apparent that it did lie as soon as I start connecting to the p2p network myself?
Yup .. I am not even sure the chain server CAN lie at all .. because active delegates have to sign each block that the chain servers are broadcasting to you .. to fake a block he needed the delegates signing key!

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the hint. Is it possible download the chain from more than one chainserver so that it is effectively a 2 out of 2 or 3 out of 3 or so trust model?
I am afraid it's not :(

It should require less trust anyway because I do not download a file someone created but information tat has been standardized by the protocol. Agreed?
Yup. Blocks are still validated. Just the download process is faster

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the hint. Is it possible download the chain from more than one chainserver so that it is effectively a 2 out of 2 or 3 out of 3 or so trust model?
I am afraid it's not :(

It should require less trust anyway because I do not download a file someone created but information tat has been standardized by the protocol. Agreed?
Yup. Blocks are still validated. Just the download process is faster

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
There are also chain server from which you can sync:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Chain-Server

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Thanks Fox,

I forget that it was possible to use get_info in the client.... I have version 0.9.2 which should be the latest version.

Get info also tells me:
Blockchain_head_block_age: 51 weeks.
blockchain_head_block_time: ...

When I do get_info again after a few minutes the blockchain_head_block_time is still exactly the same. So it means it doesn't actually sync. Why? What can I do about it?

If there is someone I would trust for externally downloading the blockchain than it would be fav! But I would prefer to not do that at all... Thanks though for the hint. I wouldn't have thought about it...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
There are also chain server from which you can sync:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/Chain-Server

Offline Fox

To speed the blockchain sync process you may consider reviewing a thread maintained by fav where a recent copy of the chain folder is available to download:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16510.0.html

Surely trust is involved with this method. Although I have not downloaded and used the offered chain, I know th reputation of fav to be trustworthy at this time.
Witness: fox

Offline Fox

Using the CLI you may get your version number within the client by issuing:
Code: [Select]
get_info
You may also get the version number from the command line by starting the client with the version switch:
Code: [Select]
./bitshare_client --version
Witness: fox

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I have compiled the latest Linux client version (0.9.2). I said should because I downloaded it 1 month ago and there was no new release here since then: https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares/releases. Is there a formal way to check what version I have?

The issue: I synced and got stuck at 33% yesterday. I have let it sync for the whole night and still was at 33% this morning.
After having deleated the .bitshares folder I started syncing again and I am now stuck at 3% since a few hours.

It says: Severe network problems. Last block synced 355 days and .. hours and ... seconds ago. And that amount of time is growing.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:27:30 am by delulo »