Author Topic: Bitshares is missing and opportunity with the Voat / Reddit debacle.  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Kolin_Quark

• View Profile
Or is the infrastructure outside the BTS scope and it would be more like something Open Bazaar would do for the platform?

Still though, BTS could provide a possible exchange?

I think this is inevitable and will happen soon.

Bitshares is capable of doing anything that Openbazaar can, and more, because it has SmartCoins (price stable cryptocurrencies).

i agree in principal - but i'm talking about practically i.e who will code the design, i.e apply the model.

I think this is outside the scope of the Bitshares in house team right?

anyhow this has helped me think this though, I have a model it's best to be given to whoever can make it profitable.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Or is the infrastructure outside the BTS scope and it would be more like something Open Bazaar would do for the platform?

Bitshares is capable of doing anything that Openbazaar can, and more, because it has SmartCoins (price stable cryptocurrencies).
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Kolin_Quark

• View Profile

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I am 100% in favor of this!  I'm pro-Voat and anti-reddit ever since reddit banned us all for posting about Bitshares. :)

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Kolin_Quark

• View Profile
Hi mate indeed, ive emailed Dan, he responded to an email I sent though the website.

Basically I agree,  however im talking about giving voat the possibility to run a decentralized system.

I don't know if the man power is there yet, but as Dan can see my model is pretty much a win win win.

Both for Bitshares, voat and the community.

Of course it all comes down the the devs,  but honestly,  the system is open source as well...

I think people are seriously underestimating the potential anyhow I outlined some numbers to Dan.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:41:40 pm by Kolin_Quark »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Welcome to the BitShares community @Kolin,

There has been some talk about voat here recently but I am not aware of anyone every directly approaching them. Maybe you can give a try!
Using BitShares, they could actually have ALOT of advantages:
 - Earn funds from referrals on the blockchain
 - issue voatGOLD as an asset and earn from trading of voatGOLD
 - sell voatGOLD as an IOU or to do crowdfunding
 - and all of this can be achieved without the need to maintain a database expert or a security expert because the BitShares network does all of this already!

Offline Kolin_Quark

• View Profile
Let me outline:

- Reddit collapsed

- Voat 'took over' but has been continually attacked by the NeoCIA Reddit owners.

Attacks happened as follows.

- spammed with 'Reddit accounts' (to be expected)
- DDos ( still occuring layer 7 attack)
- Got spammed with 'illegal content' then German servers shut down.
- Pay Pal cancled thier accounts.
- now a BotNet is hitting the site as well as the DDos.

The aim is to drive up hosting costs while then pushing the Dev towards 'VC funding'

But the alternative is to make the first even functional popular decentralized forum.

That could be done a number of ways.

Voat also just over took Reddit on Google trends.

If the Bitshares community offers the help and model they stand to make themselves significant for the future,  if not I think someone else will do it. I.e a former "Reddit" employee is talking about a decentralized Reddit off the BTC blockchain but he talks about requiring a dust payment for viewing content (which is retarded) obviously. 

Regards,

Kolin

Point is I always pictured Bitshares and non Core currency DACs as taking this path to success,  a DAC has to leverage "things" not currency,  I.e helping build a platform like this.

This gives the opportunity for Voat to issue a 'vota' independent token and run off the BTS chain, your advantage might be some leverage on a tiny fee in transactions.

But the Vota token should be controlled issuance wise from the Vote Devs, it could be purchased as donations come in for the site.

This is a basic model and how I pictured a DAC like Bitshares being successful.

I can bet this is what Etherum has in mind.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 06:36:19 am by Kolin_Quark »