Author Topic: Can we do these things  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile

It's the same thing with the NOTEs sharedrop. They paid all those transaction fees.

Wow I didnt know that.

Being able to sharedrop or pay a dividend with just 1 transaction fee should be on the roadmap for a post-2.0 feature development imo.  (If its not already in 2.0).

Agreed, the "single" transaction fee is derivative of how many transactions were applied to the system.  For instance, if I sent 9 dividends out, then the fee should show up in my transaction history as a single 0.9BTS fee = (0.1BTS/transaction)(9 dividends sent out)

Just like how Peertracks paid 1500 BTS for 15,000 transactions (at 0.1BTS per transaction)x(15,000 NOTES holders) when distributing NOTES

We can create bulk discounts by amount, for instance:

1/2 price on 10k-100k simultaneous transactions
75% off 100k-1M simultaneous transactions
>1M simultaneous transactions = regular price

This prevents spam attacks with false dividends paid to millions of accounts,
You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Not sure about the transaction format in BTS2, but at least in BTS0.9 you can bundle many deposit/withdraw operations into one transaction .. afaik the tx max size is 1MB.
IIRC, with BTS2, the fee is deterministically coupled with the size of the transaction, hence this may cost your more ...

Anyway, the blockchain knows the address<->balance pairs already, so it should be possible to implement a dividend operation to reduce the size of the transaction and thus the fee ..

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

It's the same thing with the NOTEs sharedrop. They paid all those transaction fees.

Wow I didnt know that.

Being able to sharedrop or pay a dividend with just 1 transaction fee should be on the roadmap for a post-2.0 feature development imo.  (If its not already in 2.0). 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
For dividends to work, we need to be able to issue a dividend (or sharedrop), with only one transaction fee.

While not essential for a dividend to work [1], I agree it is highly desirable. That is a feature we could vote for with a worker proposal in BitShares 2.0.

Say if I create a UIA and I want to share drop it on Brownie-PTS, would I have to pay a transaction fee for each account I am share dropping on?

Yes.

Surely thats not the case, how did NOTEs issue their UIA (they are slightly different because they sharedropped on PTS/AGS, but they still have a share dropped UIA.

Edit:
[1] A special dividend operation is not necessary to achieve the effect of a dividend distributed to a target asset that is not blinded. However, a special dividend operation is needed if we want to distribute dividends to assets that we want to use in Confidential transactions. For example, if someone wants to sharedrop a UIA on BTS holders, they are not able to give it to anyone who keeps their BTS amounts blinded for privacy reasons. The BTS holders would be put in an unfortunate position of either giving up their privacy or giving up the sharedrop. The solution to avoid forcing the user to give up either is to create a special dividend operation that also works well with blinded amounts. I discuss such an operation in a proposal I posted here.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:21:11 pm by arhag »

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
For dividends to work, we need to be able to issue a dividend (or sharedrop), with only one transaction fee. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
Alternatively, can I share drop a second UIA on users in proportion to how much of a particular other UIA they have (more indirect way of providing dividends)?
You can pull out the "addresses"/account names which own some funds and sharedrop them with an arbitrary asset .. again you will be required to pay the tx fee
I gave this some thought.
Say if I create a UIA and I want to share drop it on Brownie-PTS, would I have to pay a transaction fee for each account I am share dropping on?

Surely thats not the case, how did NOTEs issue their UIA (they are slightly different because they sharedropped on PTS/AGS, but they still have a share dropped UIA.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:21:28 pm by MrJeans »

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Thanks for the response.
I will follow up with the threads.
The transaction fees are worrying.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Can I purchase bitUSD and share drop it on users in proportion to how much of a particular UIA they have (akin to providing dividends)?
Sure. Though this will cost transaction fee. I can recall that there are some discussion about how an in-house "dividends" should be implemented in BTS2 ..
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16554.0.html

Alternatively, can I share drop a second UIA on users in proportion to how much of a particular other UIA they have (more indirect way of providing dividends)?
You can pull out the "addresses"/account names which own some funds and sharedrop them with an arbitrary asset .. again you will be required to pay the tx fee

Also can I halt markets/prevent trading of a UIA I control (e.g if I want to do a share split I may want to prevent people from trading for an hour while the split is executed)?
Yes you can:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares/UserAssets

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Can I purchase bitUSD and share drop it on users in proportion to how much of a particular UIA they have (akin to providing dividends)?

Also can I halt markets/prevent trading of a UIA I control (e.g if I want to do a share split I may want to prevent people from trading for an hour while the split is executed)?

boom! 3 questions, who has the answers  8)