Author Topic: [FYI] Coin.mx Execs Arrested for Operating Illegal Bitcoin Exchange  (Read 2632 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053

The rules will never be clear because clear rules means clears ways bypass them.

rather, clear rules mean entrepreneurs know what to expect ahead of time; a requirement for rule of law

Offline Pheonike

The rules will never be clear because clear rules means clears ways bypass them.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
I also wanted to have a bash at a ZAR to bitUSD exchange for South Africa.

I approached the Financial Intelligence Centre and got scared out of the idea, basically if I make any error with regards to reporting or someone uses the service for malicious reasons and it can somehow be proven (falsely or otherwise) that I had prior knowledge of this then thats a R15m fine or 5 years in prison.

Since I dont have R15m its just not worth the risk   :-[

yeah that's generally what i'm dealing with here, as well. regulation keeps pushing financial innovation to the fringe, entrepreneurs stuck with the ambiguity of violating rules they don't understand and can be arbitrarily enforced.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
I also wanted to have a bash at a ZAR to bitUSD exchange for South Africa.

I approached the Financial Intelligence Centre and got scared out of the idea, basically if I make any error with regards to reporting or someone uses the service for malicious reasons and it can somehow be proven (falsely or otherwise) that I had prior knowledge of this then thats a R15m fine or 5 years in prison.

Since I dont have R15m its just not worth the risk   :-[

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
Yes the regulations are very constricting especially when you look at them through crypto glasses.

I wonder what the world would be like without all the regulation on fiat (would there be tons of well funded terrorists and will everyone be money laundering? perhaps the benefits of control dont justify the negative effects it is having on society, and we will never know until the restrictions are lifted. I assume that someone who wants to fund terrorists would not necessarily make an EFT from their bank account  :-\ so why all the reporting controls on EFTs).

There is also a massive lack of understanding by regulators which makes people like us worry about going to jail for trying to provide an innocent service.

great questions..i think a simple answer becomes clear when we ask:

"do current regulations and pervasive spying stop terrorist funding right now?"

of course not, but we still keep going down that losing path. the big problem with patches to tackle social problems is that politics isn't geared to digging deeper and getting to root causes. like, why is the USSA the #1 target for non-US terrorist attacks? answering that question to anything close to the truth would do much more than additional surveillance and regulations to keeping us safer.
+5% Yes, this is the right line of thought.
I gather that you are attempting to start a service that would need to navigate the regulatory environment. Which country are you thinking of operating in?

yes, i've been putting together plans for a simple USD<-->bitUSD gateway in South Carolina, USSA. the base functionality would just be offering a low-cost, easy way for people to convert the two currencies and plop them into the appropriate bond market instrument to earn yield on their bitUSD. if that worked out, i'd try to grow it into a merchant services business. i was thinking of keeping it strictly within SC to avoid Interstate Commerce Clause bs justification for federal regulation. still need to get legal council before moving forward, and now i'm holding off a bit to see how 2.0 works out and if the business is still viable with the bond market producing sufficient yield.

the logic for this venture is that what we really need next is demand for our core products, bitUSD and other useful MPAs (but mainly bitUSD). the fact that buyers can currently earn way higher than market interest yield is a great selling point and should justify non-crypto savers to consider it a viable venue for parking capital. i'm a little concerned with the segmenting of interest into the bond market in 2.0, but it should work out well.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Yes the regulations are very constricting especially when you look at them through crypto glasses.

I wonder what the world would be like without all the regulation on fiat (would there be tons of well funded terrorists and will everyone be money laundering? perhaps the benefits of control dont justify the negative effects it is having on society, and we will never know until the restrictions are lifted. I assume that someone who wants to fund terrorists would not necessarily make an EFT from their bank account  :-\ so why all the reporting controls on EFTs).

There is also a massive lack of understanding by regulators which makes people like us worry about going to jail for trying to provide an innocent service.

of course not, but we still keep going down that losing path. the big problem with patches to tackle social problems is that politics isn't geared to digging deeper and getting to root causes. like, why is the USSA the #1 target for non-US terrorist attacks? answering that question to anything close to the truth would do much more than additional surveillance and regulations to keeping us safer.
+5% Yes, this is the right line of thought.
I gather that you are attempting to start a service that would need to navigate the regulatory environment. Which country are you thinking of operating in?

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Coin.mx Execs Arrested for Operating Illegal Bitcoin Exchange
http://www.coindesk.com/coin-mx-arrested-operating-illegal-bitcoin-exchange

Go BitShares Go!!!  :)

news like this makes me not want to do any kind of finance business, which is sad.
it looks like they did a whole lot of other funny business.
My plan would be to block the US on an IP level, they seam to be the main problem makers with their anti-freedom agenda.

agreed. those guys at coin.mx seemed to be involved in a lot more than simply running a crypto exchange, but this is still a very negative signal to me; and maybe that's the purpose, to keep pressure on our industry and inhibit it from the start.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

news like this makes me not want to do any kind of finance business, which is sad.
My plan would be to block the US on an IP level, they seam to be the main problem makers with their anti-freedom agenda.

agreed. those guys at coin.mx seemed to be involved in a lot more than simply running a crypto exchange, but this is still a very negative signal to me; and maybe that's the purpose, to keep pressure on our industry and inhibit it from the start.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline testz