Author Topic: Token Controlled Access for Digital Media or other items  (Read 1020 times)

Offline testz

I quite familiar with different DRM technologies but IMHO the best protection it's a cheap content which makes piracy economically unreasonable, if you build the system which allow to buy rights directly from author without tons of distributors/resellers when content becomes cheapest as possible and any piracy lost any sense.

So you can only track rights at blockchain and give easy purchase and access mechanism and this will be enough for success.  :) Sure you system should have good quality content.

Offline Average Guy on Street

• View Profile
Right now companies are skimming 30% (sometimes more) off every sale of Music, Ebook, and Video.

Somehow I think content creators might be able to do better on their own, and I think blockchains can help.

So here's some thoughts that might inspire you wonderful developers out there :)

What if your Digital Media Player/Library app on your computer/mobile devise, in fact had blockchain wallet built inside that ultimately decided whether or not you could open files in its vault to read, listen or view?

Imagine this hypothetical scenario to purchase an Ebook.....

- You want to buy an Ebook directly from an Author.

- You have to option to buy a license to have that book for a period of time (maybe a week, month, year, 60 years etc... )

- You decide to purchase the 1 week license, for 1 BitUSD, using your digital media player/wallet app.

- Once paid, the Ebook file downloads into a vault created your digital media library, and a separate TOKEN that represents the 1 week license you purchased also downloads into your directory of licenses you've purchased.

- The TOKEN grants you access/permission to read the digital media which is held in the vault inside the wallet.

- So, if you wish to read the Ebook, you downloaded, a multi-sig check must be done on the blockchain to confirm that the license attached to the token is still valid. If the license is valid, you may open the Ebook file to read it.

- Once files and licenses are downloaded into the wallet/digital media player, they cannot be transferred to another wallet.

- If the license has expired, the file will stay in the vault, unable to be opened. However this takes up disk space. So in order to free up space, you perform another check on the blockchain. The blockchain shows that the license has expired, and therefore instructs your digital media player app to delete the vault which contains the file.

- Deleting a file happens through multisig. The author that supplied the book and license has the ability to grant the Ebook to be deleted from your library, if you wish to as well. Your signature, plus theirs, instructs the file to be deleted.

Hope this inspires some of you out there in the Bitshares community.

Although I'm not a programmer, I have plenty of imagination :)
If I can help use my imagination to help others make the world a better place, it adds to my fulfillment.

Btw... this is another small taste of my imagination.
I have much more thoughts on this topic.

I have a solution for Music as well, that could solve the issue of piracy once and for all. Piracy will become a tool for music discovery. While the implementation of token controlled access used in musical artist's career protects their revenues. This topic has several layers of complexity to solve, but if completed.... bye bye iTunes, ticketmaster, and others that make their businesses by skimming 30%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk