Author Topic: [ANN] Cryptonomex Begins Licensing BitShares 2.0 Technology To Partner Chains  (Read 10745 times)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Stan's announcement is new, welcome information....peertracks did not have to use graphene.

Cryptonomex tries to take a very open policy to licensing its technology everywhere we can without impacting our existing chains.

They can license graphene to whomever but have committed to only doing so if it won't damage existing Blockchains like Bitshares. Also, if a different project wants Graphene for a different use case, they might sharedrop depending on their community support expectations/requirements/funding ambition.

Offline phillyguy

So if someone wants to license Graphene for a private chain, can they just buy the license from Cryptonomex, or do they have to buy it AND share drop on BTS holders? Or is share dropping on BTS not required, but could get them a discount on the license?

Cryptonomex is a private co so they can make any deals they want for Graphene licenses and don't have disclose anything to "us" anyway.

This whole announcement seems like more kicking the can/dangling yet another carrot/just generally keeping the BTS community on the hook to me. Announcement for the sake of an announcement.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:20:32 pm by phillyguy »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
But MUSE is not a new partner, they have really been partners for 18 months already.

Yes. I think we are looking forward to the _other_ partners. :)

"Several new “Bitcoin 2.0” blockchains are expected to adopt the same great technology this fall"

Exactly.  And those blockchains should sharedrop onto BTS, when they come.  (If they are using their own blockchain with Graphene).
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
But MUSE is not a new partner, they have really been partners for 18 months already.

Yes. I think we are looking forward to the _other_ partners. :)

"Several new “Bitcoin 2.0” blockchains are expected to adopt the same great technology this fall"
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

38PTSWarrior

Offline topcandle

Ok this is still not right...

Peertracks will license BTS2.0 from cryptonomex, which current bitshares holders paid for.  But they will only sharedrop on people who held some token from I3 called PTS/AGS.

So basically cryptonomex benefits, peertracks benefits, and an obscure/obsolete token benefits... but the people who paid for graphene with delegate pay from bts 0.X get screwed. 

I am really starting to see why some long term members like Tonyk don't like the direction bts is going in.

If this is what happens on future chains, then yes I agree.

However, MUSIC was sharedropped WAY long ago, not just way before 2.0, but before the december merger.  The NOTES have been trading for months already prior to this announcement. 

In the future, new partners that are actually new partners should sharedrop on BTS if they create their own blockchain, imo.  But MUSE is not a new partner, they have really been partners for 18 months already.

Yeah this is not an announcement.  It's just a rehash of old stuff and selling it as new.  I'd be more worried they took the distribution for Notes now and re-dropped it again, diluting the previous owners shares.  This is a ominous precedent.  Moreover, offering sharedrop is not a requirement to be a licensee.  The CNX team can determine whatever requirements to get BTS2. 

Offline Ander

• View Profile

Peertracks will license BTS2.0 from cryptonomex, which current bitshares holders paid for.  But they will only sharedrop on people who held some token from I3 called PTS/AGS.

So basically cryptonomex benefits, peertracks benefits, and an obscure/obsolete token benefits... but the people who paid for graphene with delegate pay from bts 0.X get screwed. 

I am really starting to see why some long term members like Tonyk don't like the direction bts is going in.

If this is what happens on future chains, then yes I agree.

However, MUSIC was sharedropped WAY long ago, not just way before 2.0, but before the december merger.  The NOTES have been trading for months already prior to this announcement. 

In the future, new partners that are actually new partners should sharedrop on BTS if they create their own blockchain, imo.  But MUSE is not a new partner, they have really been partners for 18 months already.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline MJK

• View Profile
OK, i need some clarification please.
I own only BTS. Does this announcement mean that i will get share dropped on because i own BTS or do i need to own something else?
Thanks

The sharedrop was almost a year ago, and it was on AGS/PTS, not BTS.  This was back before BTS was suppoed to be the main sharedrop target.

If you want some NOTES, you can buy them on the internal BTS market.  Price is in the .13 to .16 BTS per NOTE range.  (So you get aobut 6-7 NOTES per BTS).  Make sure you get the right asset, it should have lots of volume. 

Here is the current orderbook:
https://bitsharesblocks.com/asset/orderbook?asset=NOTE

Thanks ander.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:19:05 pm by MJK »

Offline Ander

• View Profile
I own only BTS. Does this announcement mean that i will get share dropped on because i own BTS or do i need to own something else?
Thanks

The sharedrop was almost a year ago, and it was on AGS/PTS, not BTS.  This was back before BTS was suppoed to be the main sharedrop target.

If you want some NOTES, you can buy them on the internal BTS market.  Price is in the .13 to .16 BTS per NOTE range.  (So you get aobut 6-7 NOTES per BTS).  Make sure you get the right asset, it should have lots of volume. 

Here is the current orderbook:
https://bitsharesblocks.com/asset/orderbook?asset=NOTE

Offline MJK

• View Profile
ANNOUNCEMENT 7 - Cryptonomex Begins Licensing BitShares 2.0 Technology To Partner Chains

The industrial grade blockchain technology of BitShares 2.0 has put it in a class by itself, but that won’t last for long.  Several new “Bitcoin 2.0” blockchains are expected to adopt the same great technology this fall, and the crypto world will never be the same.

On June 8th, 2015 Cryptonomex shocked the crypto-currency world by introducing its third generation of blockchain technology code-named Graphene™.  Graphene averages transaction confirmations in 1 second compared to what can take Bitcoin more than an hour.   And with 100,000 transactions per second compared to Bitcoin’s current 7 tps, Graphene is able to support a host of new features, like a NASDAQ-class asset exchange, with enough throughput left over to upgrade Bitcoin and most of the 600+ other altcoins to a common interoperable cryptocurrency network.  All this is old news at bitshares.org.

What’s new is that soon BitShares will not be the only blockchain showcasing Graphene technology.

In most cases, it makes more sense for digital asset developers to build directly on top of the BitShares blockchain to take advantage of interoperability, shared network effect, deeper markets, and common services like BanxShares and BunkerShares decided to do.  It also costs money and time to market to bootstrap a new chain rather than one that already has a support infrastructure and a working ecosystem.

But there can be good reasons why some potential partners might need independent chains.  Sometimes there’s a compelling philosophical incompatibility, or differences in business model, global parameters, rule set, governance system, privacy policy, dilution, fee structure or developer vision.  Perhaps a different distribution is needed to capture support from essential partners, funding sources or other user demographics.  And of course everyone has different perceptions of the risks and benefits of sharing a common block chain.

Bytemaster did a riff on this in today's weekly beyondbitcoin.org press conference.

For all these reasons, and a genuine desire to grow the industry, Cryptonomex tries to take a very open policy to licensing its technology everywhere we can without impacting our existing chains.  (It certainly doesn’t want to stand in the way of its supporters getting share drops for great ideas that won’t fit on the BitShares blockchain for some reason.)

Our offer to provide access to Graphene technology
to compatible partners willing to share drop on the BitShares community
is a key value proposition of BitShares that should not be forgotten.

The first of these won’t be a big surprise to any active member of the BitShares community, but it is certainly worthy of a syndicated news release calling attention to our BitShares Graphene technology and encouraging other new and existing coins to consider what that technology might mean to them!

So, with a subtle foreshadowing more such deals to come, Cryptonomex and PeerTracks are announcing a renewed and much stronger partnership to jointly develop and promote BitShares and MUSE.  Cryptonomex will support PeerTracks with innovative cryptoeconomics technology and PeerTracks will support Cryptonomex with fund raising and business development.  This will let us share costs and provide increased development resources and public awareness for both projects.

You can read today’s joint press release about the expanded partnership here.

MUSE easily qualified for a Graphene license for at least these reasons:

•   It does not compete directly with BitShares.
•   It share-dropped 70% on the BitShares community.
•   It has good reasons for maintaining a separate chain.
•   We have a long-standing agreement to support them.

This agreement is the result of a recent summit meeting where Eddie Corral spent two solid days brainstorming with us at Cryptonomex World Headquarters in Virginia.  We liked the comprehensive joint plan we came up with so much, we just had to record it for historical purposes.

Thanks

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I think this Cryptonomex arrangement could work well. Love the licensing and sharedrop combination.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Excellent news! I was really hoping to hear something along those lines soon.  Roll on the next partnership! All aboard!!  +5%

Offline Ander

• View Profile
When/How did Muse share drop on the community?

Last october, on PTS/AGS.

I think that it should be noted that it was on PTS/AGS holders.  Anyone who bought bitshares didn't receive any part of this drop, and the post is misleading.

The initial sharedrops precede BTS. If you started more recently, then I'd suggest you load up on NOTEs while they're still cheap.

Indeed, NOTES are down over 50% from ipo price, so if you missed the sharedorp is a good time to get them, before MUSE releases.

jaran

You can start discovering artists and trading individual artist-branded Notes early this fall.

+5% sounds like things are going good and they are close