Author Topic: Ethereum price discussion  (Read 143287 times)

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitshares/#charts

at launch we had about 70 MIO $ marketcap ... or i'm wrong ?

July 21st. BTSX was $26 million at launch? If you sold your BTSX as soon as possible as you did with ETH.

If you're saying you could have predicted the Aug 26-28th high and sold then, you would have got 300-400% return, but I think that's a bit of a stretch.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
anyway, yes it was a good investment ... so i'm happy
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
but if i did sell my BTS directly on launch i'd have get same revenue with BTS ...

No I think you would have made a 25% return with BTSX vs. the 950% return you got with ETH.

BTSX had a market CAP of $25 million on Launch.

I think PTS had a value of $20 million leading up to the BTSX snapshot and $10 million a day after. PTS received 50% of BTSX. So they were paying a $20 million valuation during the IPO.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
but if i did sell my BTS directly on launch i'd have get same revenue with BTS ...

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Ethereum is giving a 10x return over a period that BTS/X had a 90% loss. Ether holders 100x better off currently over that period.

A $100 000 BTSX investment in August last year would be worth $10 000 today, while the same in Ether would be $220 000 at today's price. (0.69 per Ether) So you would have been 22x wealthier if you'd invested in Vitalik and friends.

Your calculations are quite wrong or at least unfair.
BTS did suffer a 90% loss but that's only true if you bought at the very top of the 2014 hype.
ETH was without doubt a better investment than BTS but not by factor of 100 or 22. I'd say by factor of 4.

Yes, an IPO comparison would  make ETH a better investment by a factor of 4.

My sums are still a bit on the high side, but I was comparing whether it would have been better stay in invested in BTS during the Ethereum fundraising period, as most of us were, or switch some to Ethereum. Those that did would be 20-100x wealthier than us. Look how well cass did with his 2BTC...

I just want to say ... i've investet 2 BTC --> 4000 ETH during the IPO sale last year!

And did sell them for approx. 19 BTC! So from the investment point of view ... ETH was a really good investment!

Cass's 2 BTC in Ether was sold for 19 BTC. Had he kept it in BTS, that 2 BTC would be worth circa 0.2-0.3 BTC today.

So he was nearly 100x better off over that period.

Guys it wasn't a hype bubble. There was no panic buying. All that happened was for about a day only a small % of sellers could sell, just like how BTS lost 50%+ (30%? I forgot actually) in the first days after launch before rallying because sellers couldn't sell.

The "bubble" lasted exactly as long as the kraken deposit confirmation period for non-KYC'd customers.

It was caused by Ethercoin. For the last year it was the main vehicle for people to invest who missed the IPO and only had 1/60th of the actual supply, so it was clearly over-valued but for a brief period the market referenced that as the starting point. 

However it was clear it would crash once more supply came online and will probably fall further.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:18:26 pm by Empirical1.2 »

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
I just want to say ... i've investet 2 BTC --> 4000 ETH during the IPO sale last year!

And did sell them for approx. 19 BTC! So from the investment point of view ... ETH was a really good investment!
But i've also learned from BTS ... If i had sell my BTS last year when high .. it would be the same ...

With this revenue i can fund my next 3 month working for BTS/CNX ... so IMO good deal :)

may I ask you how you managed that?
How do you transferred so quick to the exchange, assuming kraken needed 6000 confirmations before trading was possible...
+ that the their developers made an alert (that sucks) that all accounts created before the last geth update (1.01) should be considered as potentially COMPROMISED !!! 

PS  6000 confirmations is about 1.5 Days... and the prices you are mentioning was available only on 8 August (the half day and some hours from 7 August, totalling about one day)

yep i've transfered on 7th (1.30pm) and then about 6k (25h) conf later on 8th at 2pm i was able to trade @ 0.0047

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:14:19 pm by cass »

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Guys it wasn't a hype bubble. There was no panic buying. All that happened was for about a day only a small % of sellers could sell, just like how BTS lost 50%+ (30%? I forgot actually) in the first days after launch before rallying because sellers couldn't sell.

The "bubble" lasted exactly as long as the kraken deposit confirmation period for non-KYC'd customers.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Ethereum is giving a 10x return over a period that BTS/X had a 90% loss. Ether holders 100x better off currently over that period.

A $100 000 BTSX investment in August last year would be worth $10 000 today, while the same in Ether would be $220 000 at today's price. (0.69 per Ether) So you would have been 22x wealthier if you'd invested in Vitalik and friends.

BTS did suffer a 90% loss but that's only true if you bought at the very top of the 2014 hype.
ETH was without doubt a better investment than BTS but not by factor of 100 or 22. I'd say by factor of 4.

ETH currently around triple the IPO price, BTS 1/3 the IPO price.  So about a factor of 10 at least.  More if you sold in the first 24 hours after ETH release.  Of course, ETH is going to keep dropping and it will look a lot more even in the future.  This initial ETH hype bubble was so out of control. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

jakub

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 05:16:11 pm by jakub »

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
In summary 16% inflation.

I thought it was even higher than that.

But yeah its really high and will be dragging down the price until they switch to PoS.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
this is hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN-QpuXIJtM

the fact it took so much time and they told people their accounts could be compromised while at the same time only a few ones made huge profit doesn't look good at all, even if they didn't do it with malicious intent.

what i don't understand is, how could people value ether so high? isn't the supply huge? i don't know how many new coins will we have per year but wasn't it a percentage of the inital ICO?

The reason it got valued so high was all the pumping from media outlets like coindesk and cointelegraph.

I remember reading one article that ethereum was the tesla of the crypto world.  Take one look at teslas stock and you will see why it was pumped so much.

I understand people who want to sell would value it that way but who was buying at those prices lol? What's the supply and inflation on ether? I know it was related to  % of the ICO?

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
this is hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN-QpuXIJtM

the fact it took so much time and they told people their accounts could be compromised while at the same time only a few ones made huge profit doesn't look good at all, even if they didn't do it with malicious intent.

what i don't understand is, how could people value ether so high? isn't the supply huge? i don't know how many new coins will we have per year but wasn't it a percentage of the inital ICO?

The reason it got valued so high was all the pumping from media outlets like coindesk and cointelegraph.

I remember reading one article that ethereum was the tesla of the crypto world.  Take one look at teslas stock and you will see why it was pumped so much.