Author Topic: Important Criticism  (Read 47990 times)

Offline James212

• View Profile
What functionality does Ethereum have (or promise to have in the future) over BitShares? How much does the name "Ethereum" contribute to its current 10x market cap advantage over BitShares?

Etherium has a good market cap because they were able to get momentum behind their tech. That counts more than many here would like to believe.

+5%
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline James212

• View Profile
I like this project and think it has potential. The one thing that seems unprofessional to me is the name itself. I would suggest using a naming service like http://www.namebase.com (there are many others). I would also recommend staying away from any and all cliches like "bit" for example. I would opt for a name that has nothing to do with cryptocurrency. Example: Ethereum, Ripple, Stellar, Graphene. These are all great names.

+5%

Offline James212

• View Profile
PLease let CAss help with your marketing.  WOuld love a name brand change before you get too many T-SHirts printed, but it is what it is.  I might suggest something that conjures the feeling of openness, honesty, integrity, transparency, honesty other than identity which is only the means to the end (trust based on truth)

+5%

.....and I would add "something that conjures the feeling of "security".   "Identity" can easily be taken as a negative and it is something the user must give up.....a forfeiture of privacy if you will.     However security is generally seen as something positive that is being provided.     I would NOT suggest "securabit" though.  I think all aspects of the product name can be much improved with some marketing brain storming. 

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
I feel so indecisive saying this but Identabit is kind of growing on me. It was the capital D that put me off. If it's between IDbit and Identabit, I much prefer identabit.

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

What about IDBit?

My favorite...sorted and we have the URL's IDBit.org and info

NICE!  +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I like that one. Much simpler. ID means identity to everyone. And you can still go with the IDB abbreviation.

Offline underwun

• Life Matters
    • View Profile
What about IDBit?

My favorite...sorted and we have the URL's IDBit.org and info
There's a reason for everything and if there isn't there should be...

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
It isn't really a problem like the author describes, but at the same time it doesn't sound original at the same time. kind of click bait but... https://medium.com/@nickabouzeid/bitcoin-company-names-suck-bcbcae8dc033
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
this is one of the most creative threads ever on this forum in my opinion.

however, I think 8 pages discussing a name goes a bit too far on the important criticism part :D

btw, I like ubit / IDbit, but doubt those names are free. you could go with a .xyz tld (google moved their mother company to abc.xyz so expect something of this SEO wise)

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
What about IDBit?
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline underwun

• Life Matters
    • View Profile
No need to believe, lets see how we go. I enjoyed the teeth  ;) If you take a look above you will see a post recognising the issues raised.
There's a reason for everything and if there isn't there should be...

38PTSWarrior

Ok folks thank you for your input, we have lots to do.

The D will go but the name stays.

Let's move on.

Many logos to pick-up now....

Identabit

PS   This name sucks for the reason you want it, and it is also to long ( i-de-nta-bit )!  Good Luck !  :-[   (Just my personal honest opinion)

It is i-dent-a-bit.
I also dont like the a.
It reminds me more of identity than dentist but i see what you mean.

Maybe something like IDchain or chainID? But identabit is ok. Bitident?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Doge is for people that love dogs, Identabit is for people that love...dentists? :P

I really thought they are open-minded and they would change their decision after all this proposals here. It is obvious a very bad name....
And the most of us have (even indirectly) said that here....
BUT NO. "We know everything better, and we stick on our personal ideas"

PS   At least doge  ( do-ge)  is easy to remember and short
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:45:11 pm by liondani »

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Doge is for people that love dogs, Identabit is for people that love...dentists? :P

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Ok folks thank you for your input, we have lots to do.

The D will go but the name stays.

Let's move on.

Many logos to pick-up now....

Identabit

PS   This name sucks for the reason you want it, and it is also to long ( i-de-nta-bit )!  Good Luck !  :-[   (Just my personal honest opinion)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:20:00 pm by liondani »