Author Topic: Brownie distribution  (Read 6548 times)

Offline theredpill

The only thing that I found not fair with the Brownie distribution is mumble attendance. But happens for the people that can not attend any mumble on Friday because the time is not good? I for once never attend any mumble but I always listen to it later on and I am always in the forums. Can we find a solution for people like me? That they can prove somehow that they listened to the mumble?

I remember in LTB that in order to prove participation, on their interviews at some point there was a "magic" word mentioned. they could fill then that "magic" word and they proved that way that they indeed listened..

So can BM or Fuzzy do something like this? During their mumble at some point they mention a "magic" word which forums members can then fill somewhere to prove participation? This will be a much fairer distribution I think..

Great idea, I would vote for this.

100 brownies X 5 bts x 4 hangouts at current market cap is more than 10$ a month just to enter 4 x a magic word. It may no feel like it's a lot but there is in this world people living with few money and having internet access.

You don't even have to listen the show if you do it with some friends, you can share the magic word.

There are a lot of people out there clicking on banners, making surveys, watching advertisements to win some satoshis. Much less than what they could have by entering a magic word in some web page.

IMHO it's a bit risky. Nothing will happen tomorrow or in two weeks but it can be in a couple of months.

They are already doing this for a long time and the LTB coin seems to have value, is this happening with them?

Offline fuzzy

So can BM or Fuzzy do something like this? During their mumble at some point they mention a "magic" word which forums members can then fill somewhere to prove participation? This will be a much fairer distribution I think..

+5%

I've seen fuzzy discussing something very similar over the past few weeks on slack. It shouldn't be long before we have a better solution in place.

Sounds good? or is someone alse already working on it?

+5%

I'm personally not a fan of the magic word.  I would far prefer people to be able to enter in a captcha at the end of listening to a hangout, coupled with the logging of an IP address to (help) ensure the system is not gamed...and then give something like 25 brownies to those who listen to hangouts and prove they are real people.  Or we can let them share our hangouts on social media channels after listening instead...and get rewarded that way. 

It is very important we find ways for EVERYONE to earn brownies.  Not just those who can attend.
logging the ip wouldnt help much.
you could just use tor or a vpn.
the sharing thing is also very easy to abuse with spam accounts.

I'm not entirely sure it matters if people can scam as long as it requires enough work to keep it from undermining everything.  People can still do the same thing during mumble hangouts.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline JA

• View Profile

+5%

I've seen fuzzy discussing something very similar over the past few weeks on slack. It shouldn't be long before we have a better solution in place.

+5%

I'm personally not a fan of the magic word.  I would far prefer people to be able to enter in a captcha at the end of listening to a hangout, coupled with the logging of an IP address to (help) ensure the system is not gamed...and then give something like 25 brownies to those who listen to hangouts and prove they are real people.  Or we can let them share our hangouts on social media channels after listening instead...and get rewarded that way. 

It is very important we find ways for EVERYONE to earn brownies.  Not just those who can attend.
logging the ip wouldnt help much.
you could just use tor or a vpn.
the sharing thing is also very easy to abuse with spam accounts.

Offline fuzzy

+5%

+5%

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline JA

• View Profile
So it seems like we didn't come to a conclusion in this thread.

Can anyone please clarify if brownies will still be distributed to hangout participants in the future or nah?
@bytemaster
@stan
@fuzzy

Offline EstefanTT

100 brownies X 5 bts x 4 hangouts at current market cap is more than 10$ a month just to enter 4 x a magic word. It may no feel like it's a lot but there is in this world people living with few money and having internet access.

You don't even have to listen the show if you do it with some friends, you can share the magic word.

There are a lot of people out there clicking on banners, making surveys, watching advertisements to win some satoshis. Much less than what they could have by entering a magic word in some web page.

IMHO it's a bit risky. Nothing will happen tomorrow or in two weeks but it can be in a couple of months.
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
Let me  throw this idea out there...
What if a Beyond Bitcoin "token" was issued instead and then set up a an exchange for BBT:BROWNIE.PTS?

Please don't...Let's not make things more  complicated...

I think the "magic" word should work easily. In the end of the day I think that only people who do care will listen and participate and is a good measure to track participation. When LTB announced the "magic" word thing I participated and listened for a week or so...Then when I couldn't bother to listen anymore I just stopped listening..I expect same thing to happen here if we implement this..People who want to listen will listen.People who don't wont to listen will not care about Brownies anyway..

Sure some people may have multiple accounts and find ways to get more BPTS than entitled but that is not a major problem. People who do participate and not receiving is a bigger problem..
Anyway just my thoughts..

Offline emailtooaj

Let me  throw this idea out there...
What if a Beyond Bitcoin "token" was issued instead and then set up a an exchange for BBT:BROWNIE.PTS?
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline DestBest

Maybe putting a 24h deadline once the hangout is posted, after +24h you won't be able to enter the magic world anymore
BitShares French ConneXion, le portail francophone BitShares.
BitShares French ConneXion, the BitShares french gateway.
www.bitsharesfcx.com

Offline EstefanTT

Maybe there is a way to verify that the one reveivng brownies are active members but I'm not sure it's acheivable.

If it would be possible to check how many words the forum members have written we could fixe a minimum words to qualify.

It's easy to do 50 post " +5%" but writing relevant things require to read often the forum and understand BitShares in details.. Anyone trying to "copy/past" some BS large irrelevant text would be ban off the forum by the moderators.

This could be a solution if it's possible.

Offline JA

• View Profile
This has to be thought carefully  ;)
yes, definitely

Offline EstefanTT

Using the magic word method with the forum post count barrier (100 posts) ~330 forum members could participate as of now.
The only preoblem is, users could entry without even listening to the hangout if the magic word is spread around.

That's my concern. With the actual price of bts and brownies, your attendance at the hangout represents several $. This will attract people with bad intentions if you can receive money with just entering a magic word somewhere.
We risk to have people creating forum accounts with more than 100 posts, spamming " +5%", "great", " indeed", ... It can be done within a few hours. Then, obtain the magic word in some way (easy).

If it's just one person it doesn't matter but if we start having a team of 50, 100, 200 guys doing it ...

The result would be very bad for the forum with all these empty comments everywhere. The attendance of the hangouts wouldn't be representative of the members interest.

Finall and maybe the more important. We are very happy with our happy  brownies because they are like a cordial thank you from BM and because they already have some value.
They are worth several bts and are a potential target for sharedroping. If we start having persons receiving brownies they don't deserve, the value of the "deserved"/received brownies will go down because the total supply will increase (without any contribution done for BitShares).
It would mean less shares dropped when someone sharedrop and brownies with less value.

It would be sad, brownies points are an excellent idea.

This has to be thought carefully  ;)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:26:33 pm by EstefanTT »

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
Using the magic word method with the forum post count barrier (100 posts) ~330 forum members could participate as of now.
The only preoblem is, users could entry without even listening to the hangout if the magic word is spread around.

Not only this^^^^
but once the person has the magic word, they can use that with more than one of their individual accounts. I'm sure there is quite a few people here that have more than one forum handle with 100+ posts.
IMO only participants for that session should get the Brownie distribution. I understand the frustration that majority of people can't make it Friday mornings... as I'm one of them!!!

You can also attend the hangout with multiple accounts, so that shouldn't be the issue. And just being logged in doesn't mean you are listening, in this regard a magic word might even be better.

But honestly I don't really understand why attending or listening  to the hangouts should earn you brownies anyway. It isn't exactly a great contribution if you do nothing but listening.

Offline emailtooaj

Not only this^^^^
but once the person has the magic word, they can use that with more than one of their individual accounts. I'm sure there is quite a few people here that have more than one forum handle with 100+ posts.
IMO only participants for that session should get the Brownie distribution. I understand the frustration that majority of people can't make it Friday mornings... as I'm one of them!!!
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline JA

• View Profile