Author Topic: MetaExchange should host a BTS web-based wallet  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
If MetaExchange has a built in wallet, wouldn't that attract hackers? I thought the point of MetaExchange was for people that don't want to keep their money on an exchange. Or am I just missing something here? Can someone explain?

i think the idea of speedy is, that if you are new into BitShares and would want to buy via metaexchange you need first a wallet. So at the moment sometimes a pain in the ass and many people will go a other root. So the idea would be that on metaexchange you find a link to the webwallet you can easily setup your new bitshares account (webwallet). if metaexchange would be integrated in this wallet he would just have to setup his account and can now use internal the metaexchange service without the need to go to our webside.

If we or another webwallet hoster offer this wallet would be not so important. So the risk will be the same in 2.0 as to have your wallet not hosted by yourself but using the nodes of 3rd parties.

Offline konelectric

If MetaExchange has a built in wallet, wouldn't that attract hackers? I thought the point of MetaExchange was for people that don't want to keep their money on an exchange. Or am I just missing something here? Can someone explain?

Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Thanks for the feedback!

The idea is sound, but this is a considerable amount of work - it would definitely also be worth waiting for 2.0, otherwise all the work would need to be re-done.

It would be far, far easier to integrate a metaexchange widget into the existing web wallet... maybe this is something I could pursue, but again with 2.0, the work would need re-doing.

I agree the existing web-wallet should have MetaExchange integration, the only downside of that is that sharing a link to metaexchange sounds more appealing to Bitcoiners, just like shapeshift. Sharing a link to wallet.bitshares.org often gets dismissed as just an altcoin. But hopefully that will change.

Its good that youre thinking about it. MetaExchange is awesome!

Offline betax

• View Profile
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline monsterer

Thanks for the feedback!

The idea is sound, but this is a considerable amount of work - it would definitely also be worth waiting for 2.0, otherwise all the work would need to be re-done.

It would be far, far easier to integrate a metaexchange widget into the existing web wallet... maybe this is something I could pursue, but again with 2.0, the work would need re-doing.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I agree ..
also every other hosted wallet should leverage metaExchange's API and offer "bridging as a service" (BASS) :)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
If MetaExchange hosted a cut-down version of the web-based wallet, it could become the best one-stop shop to trade Bitcoin into dollars (BitUSD).

Right now people can go to https://metaexchange.info/markets/bitUSD/BTC but it asks for their BitShares account, which would put off Bitcoin users who havent yet downloaded & used the BitShares wallet.

If the web wallet was built into MetaExchange and it generated BitUSD reciepient keys itself, we could all just share that link around to people who hate trading on regular exchanges, and this thing would sell itself.

+5%?