Author Topic: What is the focus of BitShares now?  (Read 14839 times)

Offline ag

• View Profile
Ideally we even start with liquid markets :D
+5% +5% +5%
you seem confident. more than me.

Offline EstefanTT

I've lost quite a bit over the years with the various emanations of this project. I stick with it. Maybe I have no right to comment but I want to ask one thing. Please, please don't release the new wallet if it is anything like that sad 0.9.2 and it's predecessors. If anything is designed to put people off it's something like that hideous front window. Please only release when it works and keeps working. OK many will flare up at my impudence but someone has to keep it flagged.

So far, the new wallet is up to the expectations !

https://graphene.bitshares.org
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Rather than think solely in terms of profit, think more about aligning economic incentives. I was always taken from the very beginning by bm's vision to make good behaviour more profitable than bad.

Yeah, incentives are very important part of profitability.

Profits itself are not good or bad, they are just a necessity. If the system wastes more resources than it creates or other ways brings in, it will die sooner or later.

Josh Kaufman has a good definition of business (in his great book The Personal MBA):

"Every succesful business (1) creates or provides something of value that (2) other people want or need (3) at a price they're willing to pay, in a way that (4) satisfies the purchaser's needs and expectations and (5) provides the business sufficient revenue to make it worthwhile for the owners to continue operation."

Most of the crypto developers haven't really understood this. Bytemaster is a rare exception.

Indeed!  Thanks for the link, will check it out!

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
Rather than think solely in terms of profit, think more about aligning economic incentives. I was always taken from the very beginning by bm's vision to make good behaviour more profitable than bad.

Yeah, incentives are very important part of profitability.

Profits itself are not good or bad, they are just a necessity. If the system wastes more resources than it creates or other ways brings in, it will die sooner or later.

Josh Kaufman has a good definition of business (in his great book The Personal MBA):

"Every succesful business (1) creates or provides something of value that (2) other people want or need (3) at a price they're willing to pay, in a way that (4) satisfies the purchaser's needs and expectations and (5) provides the business sufficient revenue to make it worthwhile for the owners to continue operation."

Most of the crypto developers haven't really understood this. Bytemaster is a rare exception.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Ideally we even start with liquid markets :D

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
I've lost quite a bit over the years with the various emanations of this project. I stick with it. Maybe I have no right to comment but I want to ask one thing. Please, please don't release the new wallet if it is anything like that sad 0.9.2 and it's predecessors. If anything is designed to put people off it's something like that hideous front window. Please only release when it works and keeps working. OK many will flare up at my impudence but someone has to keep it flagged.
Everyone has a right to comment and your criticism/plea is perfectly fair.  I'd be surprised if the devs weren't all over it for the next release.  It's very important that we smash it out the park in order to capture and retain people's attention this time.  Plus, very soon I think people are going to desperately need these tools and the easier and more stable they are, the better.

Offline aragoon

• View Profile

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

What use is a theoretical profit if your standard can be debased, devalued, frozen, stolen or blown up at will?

Aligning economic incentives in a systemic manner that resists corruption will bring forth financial stability, the build up of capital, greater potential for investment.

How many people in the world would accept zero interest if they knew the money they worked for was safe? Many seem, in desperation, to be willing to pay (negative interest)  for even the illusion of safety.

Profit is not a straight forward thing to measure in today's world. What is of unquestionable value is knowing that  the rules of the game will not change without peer review of the most stringent kind.

jakub

Bitshares – because revolution has to be profitable!

Sometimes I am really pissed off by the general unwillingness to take more business-wise approach prevailing in this this community but when I bump into something like this^ I think to myself: it is pure genius in action happening here.

(and Samupaha you are not the genius here, he(or she?) just chose you to manifest itself)

Even if I never recover the money I invested in BTS, I will always be quite happy I was fortunate enough to play a little part in it.

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
It seems to me that the focus now is on becoming profitable, so that we can survive, continue to develop, and then grow strong to achieve Bitshares goals for the future.

If a potential investor asks what BitShares is about or aims to do and you answer "to be profitable", his knowledge of BitShares will be the same he had before asking that same question. That answers nothing. It's every companies' objective to be profitable.

But Bitshares is not an ordinary company, it is a DAC. So far DACs haven't been profitable but Bitshares is aiming to be the first one by offering a toolkit that revolutionizes the financial world.

Usually revolutions try to abolish the old and badly behaving institutions. But very rarely they can replace the old institutions with better ones. Bitshares might be the exception. It really has potential to bring some serious financial power to the hands of common people.

If Bitshares is going to be the revolution, it has to become profitable. Without money it can't pay for the workers and witnesses. Without money there will be no further development and no future. Most of the other cryptocurrencies are realizing this. Their developers have mostly just hoped and prayed that the price will go to the moon and they will become rich – they haven't had any meaningful plan how to make the blockchain profitable.

Bitshares – because revolution has to be profitable!

Offline ag

• View Profile
the focus is  gateways and improvement to BitAssets in 2.0 along with development of light-wallet/apps (that can be profitable!!) that allow people to utilize the blockchain in specific ways. it may be as simple as a  bitcoin/bitshares hybrid wallet, that allows you to hold bitcoin as well as USD that has no counter-party risk, and without requiring identification. LimeWallet is doing this I think...

And the market index and oil bitAssets will have a lot of potential with 2.0 and if we can get a gateway to issue them on ripple.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
I will attend the The 10th Global Money Transfer Summit held 15-16 September at L39, Canary Wharf, London as a speaker up against the big guys from Bitpay, Circle and Bitcoin Foundation on the panel on Sept. 16th covering crypto currency and only second year they have crypto included. This i a 1700 GBP entrance fee event meant for the CEO's and similar of major money remittance system providers like Weestern Union, Moneygram, World Remit and many more from all over the world.

What I wanted to say with this is, that your explanation is going to be added to my file as important information to clearly picture what Bitshares is all about to these influential people from all over the world. I only have a slot of some 8-10 minutes so I have to be very direct and informative, aming an impression to help Bitshares get an early footprint into the world's remittance industry.

Excellent. Good luck. If I have time I will try to think of some angles and put them in the other pitch thread you started.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
The point I'm trying to make is a serious one, not just repeated philosophical sound-bites. The principal value of Bitshares is corruption/centralisation resistance with the ability to scale. Why are investors not interested in that? Because they don't think it works? Or it won't be allowed to work? Don't want it to work? Don't get how it works? DPOS is the core  innovation that sets Bitshares apart from many other projects.  If you are saying we need institutional investors, well then I disagree. We need to earn the trust of ordinary people and if successful, new institutions will grow from that.  You might say that ordinary people don't care about corruption, they just want easy.  Well they might care more once everyone gets burned by the central banking super theft etc

What is the simplest, most compelling argument for people to use Bitshares? Bitshares can protect you, everybody, the planet from the effects of tyranny that results from the mis-use of the power of money.

All the application layers, the decentralized market, the pegged assets, smart contracts, the referral systrem etc are brilliant features. But they are worthless without the network's integrity. Good money drives out bad. Bitshares must be synonymous in people's minds with good money or eventually, people and the new corporations will be utilising a different network.....

How do we summarise what Bitshares can do?  Well it offers an efficient, secure, low-cost means of sending, recieving, executing and recording transactions. This provides the framework for buliding digital networks with a variety of features like decentralised markets, pegged assets.....etc. New features and applications are being innovated all the time. In simple terms Bitshares can be your accountant, lawyer, insurer, estate-agent, banker, government, post office, stock market etc and money. It really depends on what the user wants to do with Bitshares.

I think personally you have hit the nail right where it needs to be. When reading this, I got a more personal understanding to Bitshares so I sent it immediately to my Forbes contact for him to start preparing the material for his "best article ever" on the Bitshares 2.0 launch.

I will attend the The 10th Global Money Transfer Summit held 15-16 September at L39, Canary Wharf, London as a speaker up against the big guys from Bitpay, Circle and Bitcoin Foundation on the panel on Sept. 16th covering crypto currency and only second year they have crypto included. This i a 1700 GBP entrance fee event meant for the CEO's and similar of major money remittance system providers like Weestern Union, Moneygram, World Remit and many more from all over the world.

What I wanted to say with this is, that your explanation is going to be added to my file as important information to clearly picture what Bitshares is all about to these influential people from all over the world. I only have a slot of some 8-10 minutes so I have to be very direct and informative, aming an impression to help Bitshares get an early footprint into the world's remittance industry.

Excellent. Really good luck. I hope you smash it!

38PTSWarrior

Merockstar: Liondani maintains my delegate. I would say to program a delegate is too difficult for me but to run it, not.

If I could tell the people “my income is 3% and the rest goes to building wells and other good things“ it would be so much more interesting to the worldwide audience.

Then: I am flexible to move to any jurisdication on the planet, have no family and no other job.

I worked in cafes, with wheelchair people, hotels, heavy industry, telephone operator, and and and, and this is an excellent background.

Also I spend my own money and time to make flyers and introduced this topic to, yes, several thousand people in person.

And yet not enough support. Xeroc and many others stated that I should be voted in. He has a high ranking delegate but the crowd (or a few major shareholders) are not convinced.

This does not look good for outsiders.

That the people see non-performing delegates ranked higher than someone who commits his full time on spreading the word is embarassing or very negative.

Lil_jay said that I should stop the negativity but what I do is trying to wake you up and fight the negativity of the voters.

In a world without government the successful capitalists have a resposibility towards people in a difficult situation. How do you want to sell this to people while all I get is 30 dollar and in the meantime work my ass off?

We are creating a community around this smart-contract platform and the things are not as shiny in reality as they are in tv spots. When the world sees that we carry each other, they will participate. What happens to my efforts shows the opposite of all that.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
BitShares aims to be the market leader in crypto-backed derivatives as well as related products and services.

Store your funds in $, €, ¥, Au or Ag in a fast, easy to use, globally accessible wallet thereby offering a service that's more private and secure than a Swiss Bank Account. https://moonstone.io/

"It’s like having your savings, checking, and trading accounts in the palm of your hand, accessible from anywhere in the world – with dramatically lower fees than banks and exchanges have ever been able to offer.’

+5% +5% Clear and straight to the point.

We should make sure its truly decentralized though and able to survive outside the US.

Jeb Bush said Tuesday that the government should have broad surveillance powers of Americans and private technology firms should cooperate better with intelligence agencies to help combat "evildoers."

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/08/18/jeb-bush-nsa-needs-broader-powers-to-combat-evildoers

And that is why Jeb Bush will probably be elected the next President. He knows exactly what to say and which demographics to appeal to.

By the way, the marketing lines by Empirical are perfect. We ought to use that.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads