Author Topic: Take the Money and Run!  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Yeah, calculation in bitAssets are really, really tough at the moment!

Offline Riverhead

So again, thanks for the service so far and i hope the service will start again.

Thanks man :). I hope to have them back up ASAP. It's something I've needed to do for a while.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Thanks Riverhead!

I hope we find a solution and you can offer the markets again.

I see that most people are not trading and using the BitShares pegged Assets. the USD pair stucks for month in a cover backlog and normal trading is not possible. This makes pricecalculation in this pairs so tough!

Not many BitShares member are trading anyway and we should reconsider why  anyone wouild use our products (bitAssets) if not the own community is using it. At the moment no one has the convidence to short bitUSD in existance and the market value is only going down.

So again, thanks for the service so far and i hope the service will start again.

Offline Riverhead

I've temporarily shutdown the bitUSD, bitGOLD, and bitSILVER to/from BTC pairs on Metaexchange until I can rewrite my pricing software.

What I've found since running these pairs is that when a transactions doesn't go someone's way they come on here, request support, and we try and straighten it out for them as quickly as possible. However when an issue causes funds to flow the other way these same people become unresponsive.

The latest of these are:
1) A stumble in the median price feed for bitUSD (aka the peg) allowed one user to sell their BTC for bitUSD at about $1200/BTC. This cost me around $700.
2) A refund typo send 0.78 BTC to a customer instead of 0.078 BTC. This cost me a little over $150.

While the various people for whom bugs and mistakes have gone in their favor have no obligation to try and make things right it is a bit disappointing that no effort is made to do so.

So basically I am out of business until I can write code that makes me more money. Instant buys for a spread rather than tracking the real market value should do the trick. IT works for ShapeShift and a couple other services.

If metaexchange finds someone else to run these pairs while I'm doing my rewrite I'm cool with that. I'm happy to run the pairs and provide liquidity for the ecosystem but not when people just take the money and run.

I'll continue to run the internal market making bots as usual.