Author Topic: Are you going to upgrade your Operating System?  (Read 6883 times)

Offline cryptosile

• View Profile
I'm going to upgrade to Temple OS 3.1

Tuck Fheman

but I do not find it compelling enough to upgrade from Windows 7. I never cared much for Windows 8/8.1.

same

Offline Thom

What is the context of the question? The answer is always "Yes! at some point". I have installed Windows 10 as a VM on my MacBook pro to evaluate it to serve my customers, but I do not find it compelling enough to upgrade from Windows 7. I never cared much for Windows 8/8.1.

I run multiple operating systems on a multitude of hardware. All of my primary systems have quad core CPUs. 2 have 8GB of memory.

I have serious reservations about upgrading to Apple's Yosemite or Microsoft's Windows 10. Both are offered as a free upgrade, which is unprecedented in the history of products those companies have produced. It has me asking why? Given that both of those companies have a track record of including spyware in their OS, I wonder if their free distribution is related to that or offered as a measure of countering the ever increasing install base of Linux operating systems.

I live in a very low populated rural area, and even here I see the use of Linux spreading (which I help to do, but I'm surprisingly not the only one). With only 10K people in the entire county, I know of at least 7 people that only run Ubuntu. That may not seem like many but given how many STILL run Windows XP on hardware > 10 years old to read email or look at facebook as their primary use of the computer, it is actually significant.

I boot Windows 7 on the system that runs my home theater in my living room, but it also can multi-boot Open SuSE, Mythbuntu, Mint, and even Windows XP. I can also run several versions of Linux under VirtualBox. I use this system running Windows 7 with Dragon Naturally Speaking to write The BitShares Saga and produce graphics with either PhotoShop, PaintShop Pro or Gimp.

My MacBook Pro uses OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and uses Parallels to run an identical copy of the Windows 7 on my home theater system, as a backup. The Mac also has various flavors of Linux VMs that run under Parallels.

Until I started working on graphene I was primarily running Xbuntu on my Dell quad core. It only has 4GB of RAM currently, but will dual boot Xbuntu or Debian. I recently upgraded the Debian OS to 8.1 from the early beta release of Jessie, version 8.0. The GUI, being based on Gnome 3 is definitely more resource hungry than Xbuntu, but my delegate partner wackou prefers Debian and thus I thought it might be a good idea to work with that OS a bit more regularly so it has become the primary OS  choice on that platform.

I wouldn't call myself a command line power user (unless you think find . | grep LO* | xargs rm qualifies as a power user example) but I'm quite comfortable with the shell. You better get comfy with the command line  if you want to deploy on a VPS server! It also helps to keep your memory sharp!

A long-winded answer, but there you have it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:57:11 am by Thom »
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Xubuntu is my flavor of choice.  I still need to find a good distro for Intel based touch screen devices. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jamesc

What operating system do you prefer to run your browser and wallet on?

IMO it is this one (or derivative works).. Far from perfect, but it really is a necessity.  Ubuntu seems to be the path of least resistance and keeps the core principals intact.   I think any average awake individual will have to come to some sort of conclusion like this especially when they see their freedom and rights just slipping away due to corporate greed taking advantage of lazy people just looking for a easy fix.  I intend to keep my privacy and freedom even if takes up some of my time to learn how to use it...  Ultimately I became a console "power" user and I'm glad, I am confident this investment will pay off for the rest of my life and perhaps even then some.

http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/our-philosophy

Ok, so you don't need to be a console power user..  But you know how to type.  The console is full of great ideas... nothing to run from...  At least with Ubuntu you can defer using it when necessary until you have the time and mindset to learn it...   Let me know if I can help.  I think we will be safer here in terms of security and privacy.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:11:01 am by jcalfee1 »