Author Topic: Slap whoever is currently working on graphene in the head  (Read 6969 times)

Offline r0ach

• View Profile
Now that I've thought about it more, if you're aiming for maximum efficiency and maximum use of screen real estate, something like that screenshot I posted should function as your "home page", then all options you select in the menu on the left would launch without the menu box taking up the screen, so you get more screen real estate and better scaling for full screen mode, then you would just use a "back button" to get back to the menu if you need to use a different one.

Offline valzav

• View Profile
r0ach,
Thank you - a lot of good points. We are planning to make it more simple for unexperienced users, e.g. account selector will go away, Overview page won't be shown until user creates more than one account, so Account Overview will become a landing page for new users.
Also please take into consideration that the wallet we are building is a reference wallet and one of the purpose of it is to showcase all graphene features, whoever runs hosted wallet services would be able to customize it targeting its own audience.

38PTSWarrior

Patience, cup of tea, post your problem in the help section, smile and trade or use web-wallet. What's the problem, I'll solve it, check out my hook while.. ice ice baby da dam dam dam da da dam dam..

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
Unlike 0.9.2, could we have a wallet that works in Windows???. This caveman has wallets for 23 different coins and they all work except that cursed BTS 0.9.2. Just spent a day again trying to get the thing to simply load the chain and stay working.
So, before the worries about the gui, all valid, can we make sure the bloody thing actually works.  >:(
This caveman is a persistent bugger but 0.9.2 really stretches my willingness to keep trying to get into BTS. I think most cavemen will have been put off by now.

It should work on windows with new Qt and be far more stable / simple.

Current wallet works perfectly fine in windows 7, I use it every day.

Edit: I'm not as technical versed as many others here, so I'm not using black magic to make it work :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:57:48 pm by fav »

Offline bytemaster

Unlike 0.9.2, could we have a wallet that works in Windows???. This caveman has wallets for 23 different coins and they all work except that cursed BTS 0.9.2. Just spent a day again trying to get the thing to simply load the chain and stay working.
So, before the worries about the gui, all valid, can we make sure the bloody thing actually works.  >:(
This caveman is a persistent bugger but 0.9.2 really stretches my willingness to keep trying to get into BTS. I think most cavemen will have been put off by now.

It should work on windows with new Qt and be far more stable / simple.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline aragoon

• View Profile

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
If you have visited the new web wallet and you can't figure it out sorry but you don't belong here...I'm pretty good with ui and I've been a software engineer for 15 yrs(take into account all your avg joe scenarios). Looked fine for first pass. let's see how it is on dry run.

Yes, that's the problem, engineers are notorious for making hideous UI's.  They don't even know what words like negative space mean.  If you don't want floating point rounding errors in your financial app, then you need a software engineer.  If you want the UI to feel functional and not strange, then you need someone with graphic or design experience.  The current wallet takes up an enormous amount of screen space for next to zero functionality.

i intend to agree here :)
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline r0ach

• View Profile
I've never made a QT UI before but I might be able to figure it out.

It would be nice to shoehorn a messenger into graphene too, like I was talking about here that would also be used for file sharing in the thread below.  The messenger could either be a separate option in the tab on the left, or even appear as a choice in the drop down menu where the text "Recent Transactions" is that would have the options of incoming, outgoing, address book, and messenger.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18292.0.html

Also, now that I think about it, a button in the top right corner to hide the navigation tab on the left probably wouldn't be the best idea.  It might be better to have the screenshot I showed function as sort of a home screen, then when you click certain options on the left menu, it will launch into a screen without having that menu on the left side, then you would just use a back button to exit that screen and get back to it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 05:30:27 pm by r0ach »

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
While the current GUI is far from perfect it seems clear that they barely have the manpower to make something that works.   

Just look at all of the features that don't even have a UI.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline r0ach

• View Profile
If you have visited the new web wallet and you can't figure it out sorry but you don't belong here...I'm pretty good with ui and I've been a software engineer for 15 yrs(take into account all your avg joe scenarios). Looked fine for first pass. let's see how it is on dry run.

Yes, that's the problem, engineers are notorious for making hideous UI's.  They don't even know what words like negative space mean.  If you don't want floating point rounding errors in your financial app, then you need a software engineer.  If you want the UI to feel functional and not strange, then you need someone with graphic or design experience.  The current wallet takes up an enormous amount of screen space for next to zero functionality.

This is more of what the screen should look like when you log in.  The overview screen in the current UI, like I said, is useless.  Every page that you want to access in the program should fit into tabs in that left box (curent list is a dummy list).  You don't need a top menu and a side menu.  You could also get rid of the settings widget thing at the top right and place a settings menu in the box on the left side since it makes it less cluttered.  The "memo" button on the transactions area would open a pop up that centers full screen.  The "Recent Transactions" text could also be a drop down menu to select between incoming, outgoing, and possibly address book as a 3rd, then you just scroll up and down.  The address book would obviously be used to auto-fill the "send to" box.  The last technical hurdle is you might want some tab options to take up the entire screen real estate without having the box on the left side of the screen be there.  To do that, you could just add a toggle button to the top right corner of the screen make the menu box on the left show or hide to gain or lose real estate.

edit:  You could also have the screenshot I showed function as sort of a home screen, then when you click certain options on the left menu, it will launch into a screen without having that menu on the left side, then you would just use a back button to exit that screen and get back to the menu.

I'm not the best graphics guy in the universe, but I do have some experience:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 09:56:59 pm by r0ach »

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline emailtooaj

I tend to agree with the OP on this topic.
The opening page should stupid simple along with the category naming. Like wallet, trade, business and vote.
Wallet is obviously just for balance, send and recieve.
Trade takes you into the trading platform.
Business would be area to create and manage UIA.
Vote is, well...the area to vote.

"Bitshares. So easy, a caveman can do it!"
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
  Most users simply do not care what's going on behind the scenes with delegates and everything else, all they want is functionality.

This is true too.

However it does not bode well for DPOS, which essentially requires 'users' to actively vote, manage and decentralise the business they are customers of.

Ultimately I expect it to evolve into some form of voting vs. non voting shares/direct incentives for voting (Still be cheaper than mining) or something else...

Well, supposedly something like 50-60% of people vote in America, but even if you are a voter, the odds of you opening the wallet to vote are probably much lower than trying to accomplish another task at any given time....

Do customers of Coke, McDonalds, Walmart, Apple, Microsoft, Starbucks, Nike etc. want to frequently vote on who manages those companies and what projects they work on? Or do they just want their Big Mac or a Caffe Latte?

If BTS gets it right, the vast majority of its users will be apathetic customers. However as a result the current system itself will be insecure, unless it ultimately evolves in the manner I imagine.

Then again we can always emulate DASH, The First Decentralised Organization  :P

http://cointelegraph.com/news/115264/dash-the-first-decentralized-autonomous-organization

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:41:20 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
supernet for example offers a simple version and an advanced version.

I continue to wonder do you have anything, and I mean Any single thing you do not like in NXT and or jl777?

I am arguably one of the biggest fanboys of BTS and still find a ton of stuff that can be improved.

OT but instantdex is a letdown imo

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
supernet for example offers a simple version and an advanced version.

I continue to wonder do you have anything, and I mean Any single thing you do not like in NXT and or jl777?

I am arguably one of the biggest fanboys of BTS and still find a ton of stuff that can be improved.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.