Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT 12 - Open Ledger Debuts Today - * Forbes Article *  (Read 17754 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
How do i log into my account, i can't see a place to put my username.
it keeps rotating on Loading Balance Claim when i click existing account.
Once you created you wallet .. it is stored in your browsers local storage .. That wallet then contains your account name and its funds (that's why you should make a backup!!!) ..

Offline emperor8

• View Profile
How do i log into my account, i can't see a place to put my username.
it keeps rotating on Loading Balance Claim when i click existing account.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I have a hard time understanding something about Openledger or any exchange powered by BitShares.

I do understand how is possible to handle a trade between pairs like BitUSD/BTS on CCEDK if it's powered by BitShares because these are already in our platform.

The part I don't get is what is happening with all the other traded pairs ; BTC/ETH, XMR/QORA, EUR/BTC, ...

Are we going to produce BitXMR, BitETH, BitQORA in order to have activity on Openledger or other exchanges ?
 I tried to figure it out by myself but I had to stop when my brain started to melt.
OL can still issue IOUs (pretty mich the same thing as with every other exchange) and let users trade IOUs against any other asset in bts

Offline EstefanTT

I have a hard time understanding something about Openledger or any exchange powered by BitShares.

I do understand how is possible to handle a trade between pairs like BitUSD/BTS on CCEDK if it's powered by BitShares because these are already in our platform.

The part I don't get is what is happening with all the other traded pairs ; BTC/ETH, XMR/QORA, EUR/BTC, ...

Are we going to produce BitXMR, BitETH, BitQORA in order to have activity on Openledger or other exchanges ?
 I tried to figure it out by myself but I had to stop when my brain started to melt.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:09:05 pm by EstefanTT »
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline openledger

• Board Moderator
  • Blockchain powered, people driven
    • View Profile
    • OpenLedger.info - Blockchain Solutions, Services and Products for Businesses
  • BitShares: ccedkbts
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18484.0.html

more information to share.

I am back, although a bit tired. Nice to experience an interest from a couple of the remittance companies and to have managed to socialize with my Forbes contributor as well as various new connections within the remittance industry sharing business cards etc.

Thanks very much to all for the good luck wishes. I think it went pretty ok, but I am not th right one to evaluate obviously.
OpenLedger blockchain in services and solutions - https://openledger.info
BitShares explorer: https://bitsharescan.com
BitShares commitee member since 2015

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
+5% ..

how many mail addresses have you captured already, if I may ask?

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:44:49 pm by cass »
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I'd like to see someone design a composite asset that is backed by a blockchain managed basket of aa.USD, bb.USD, ... zz.USD.   Rock stable unless one exchange defaults in which case it take a small percentage hit - unless the participants insure each other somehow.

The chances of all those UIA issuers failing simultaneously may be acceptably small, giving an easy to make composit that spreads the counterparty risk.  Just another way partner exchanges might team up to produce innovative new products...

The rest is left as an exercise for the student.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline GChicken

• View Profile

I would also like to know the answer to the question posed above, i guess if no
liquidity available for BitBTC i guess CCEDK could short to them selves but this
would obligate them to cover short within 30 days which could mean they have to
roll over shorts again.. i guess... would mean less Bitshares available on the
market as they would get tied up in collateral on the blockchain.

No 30 day expiration in BitAssets 2.0. They only need to put collateral and
maintain enough collateral to never get margin called.

My Question is similar, if Altcoin trading is available via UIA this would mean
the underlying Altcoin would need to be held somewhere in order to honor the off
ramp (once you want your actual underlying altcoin back you trade your UIA to a
gateway in exchange for the altcoin it represents) meaning that solvency would
not be as visible as i first imagined given the altcoin's that the OpenLedger
network UIA represents will be in a separate blockchain and only represented by
a UIA on the Open Ledger network. further more what if the wallet holding the
altcoin is compromised?
You are correct. But I don't think many altcoins will come. Those that will be
available in OL should certainly be put into multisig coldstorage (which is btw,
not even supported my some shi*** altcoins)

I feel like a must be missing something here and hope someone has a explanation
of the internals or some more in depth documentation of how this is working in
the backend. Don't get me wrong i love the idea but want to see how me holding
my own keys protects me from goxxing for non MPA as my keys only hold a UIA
which rely's on someone to exchange for the underlying actual asset
The problem is manifold:

Since the main purpose of a gateway is to exchange FIAT into bitFIAT, you can
have two ways, either exchange them directly, which would require the exchange
to hold bitFIAT in their reserves (no big deal with multisig corporate accounts)
and FIAT in the bank accounts (shouldn't be a big problem either, banks are
considered 'safe').

The other approach would be to issue IOUs for everything you trade on the
blockchain. Hence you send USD, and get OL.USD into your wallet and can trade
them anywhere. The exchange could make use of their extra powers over the IOU to
hold markets or withdraw stolen funds ... anyway, this approach is less consumer
friendly since you need 2 hops to get the asset you want: USD -> OL.USD ->
bitUSD.

Thanks Xeroc,

So from what i can gather the goxxing protection is from MPA's  which is the primary product, although UIA's will be available for some edge case altcoins which will rely on a central authority to secure and distribute the actual altcoins if i withdraw.  On top of that the platform allow access to bond market when available and prediction markets and i can withdraw my holding via my nanocard... i better get one these cards.

so in effect i could use this to hold my wealth while hedging against fiat currencies with other fiat or PM's and still have access to spend on day to day purchases.

sound great and I cant wait to see the slides and or video

Thanks again for your explanation :)

Offline GChicken

• View Profile
Nice Presentations!

Are the slides used in the presentation available or is there a video posted somewhere?

let me talk with Ronny ... he is currently on back trip from london. i'll get back to you asap!

That would be awesome, Thank you Cass :)

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Nice Presentations!

Are the slides used in the presentation available or is there a video posted somewhere?

let me talk with Ronny ... he is currently on back trip from london. i'll get back to you asap!
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

I would also like to know the answer to the question posed above, i guess if no
liquidity available for BitBTC i guess CCEDK could short to them selves but this
would obligate them to cover short within 30 days which could mean they have to
roll over shorts again.. i guess... would mean less Bitshares available on the
market as they would get tied up in collateral on the blockchain.

No 30 day expiration in BitAssets 2.0. They only need to put collateral and
maintain enough collateral to never get margin called.

My Question is similar, if Altcoin trading is available via UIA this would mean
the underlying Altcoin would need to be held somewhere in order to honor the off
ramp (once you want your actual underlying altcoin back you trade your UIA to a
gateway in exchange for the altcoin it represents) meaning that solvency would
not be as visible as i first imagined given the altcoin's that the OpenLedger
network UIA represents will be in a separate blockchain and only represented by
a UIA on the Open Ledger network. further more what if the wallet holding the
altcoin is compromised?
You are correct. But I don't think many altcoins will come. Those that will be
available in OL should certainly be put into multisig coldstorage (which is btw,
not even supported my some shi*** altcoins)

I feel like a must be missing something here and hope someone has a explanation
of the internals or some more in depth documentation of how this is working in
the backend. Don't get me wrong i love the idea but want to see how me holding
my own keys protects me from goxxing for non MPA as my keys only hold a UIA
which rely's on someone to exchange for the underlying actual asset
The problem is manifold:

Since the main purpose of a gateway is to exchange FIAT into bitFIAT, you can
have two ways, either exchange them directly, which would require the exchange
to hold bitFIAT in their reserves (no big deal with multisig corporate accounts)
and FIAT in the bank accounts (shouldn't be a big problem either, banks are
considered 'safe').

The other approach would be to issue IOUs for everything you trade on the
blockchain. Hence you send USD, and get OL.USD into your wallet and can trade
them anywhere. The exchange could make use of their extra powers over the IOU to
hold markets or withdraw stolen funds ... anyway, this approach is less consumer
friendly since you need 2 hops to get the asset you want: USD -> OL.USD ->
bitUSD.

Offline GChicken

• View Profile
Unlike most exchanges, you control your own private keys, so funds remain yours even when you’re trading with them. No one can reverse a transaction or freeze your account. Similarly, the exchange’s funds are all on the blockchain, totally transparently - so they can be audited by anyone, any time.

As I understand it the only way this could work is if when you deposit Bitcoin into CCEDK they give you a market pegged asset (BitBTC) in return on the BitShares blockchain. A UIA that represents BTC would become worthless if the exchange was goxxed.

Problems:
What if you deposit BTC and there is no BitBTC available to buy because no one is shorting it?
And what about for all the other altcoins where there is no volume to support a market pegged asset?
Also, what about the accusation that CCEDK as an exchange would then be operating on fractional reserves because they had to sell your BTC deposit for some derivative BitBTC that most maximalists dont want to believe even works?

I would also like to know the answer to the question posed above, i guess if no liquidity available for BitBTC i guess CCEDK could short to them selves but this would obligate them to cover short within 30 days which could mean they have to roll over shorts again.. i guess... would mean less Bitshares available on the market as they would get tied up in collateral on the blockchain.

My Question is similar, if Altcoin trading is available via UIA this would mean the underlying Altcoin would need to be held somewhere in order to honor the off ramp (once you want your actual underlying altcoin back you trade your UIA to a gateway in exchange for the altcoin it represents) meaning that solvency would not be as visible as i first imagined given the altcoin's that the OpenLedger network UIA represents will be in a separate blockchain and only represented by a UIA on the Open Ledger network. further more what if the wallet holding the altcoin is compromised?

I feel like a must be missing something here and hope someone has a explanation of the internals or some more in depth documentation of how this is working in the backend. Don't get me wrong i love the idea but want to see how me holding my own keys protects me from goxxing for non MPA as my keys only hold a UIA which rely's on someone to exchange for the underlying actual asset

Offline GChicken

• View Profile
Nice Presentations!

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Stan, is openledger trading market pegged assets or UIAs?

Offline Blazin8888

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

It will happen in due time. Right know they are quite happy (full with themselves) with the new money coming from the margin trading.

Until they mess it up like Bitfinex these last months
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Not sure if it was common knowledge and i just missed it. But the Forbes article eludes to 8 exchanges being involved in Openledge's network, which is in effect the Bitshares network! only 3 listed on the slide so in my mind we have many more ground breaking announcements to come :)

Yes, many have yet to announce, but there are 8 in the pipeline I have had at least some contact with at various stages of maturity.  I guess BunkerDEX's long logo didn't fit on the viewgraph, but it should have been there...

We decided to reveal that hint early because of the high profile venue and Forbes coverage opportunity.

8 exchanges in the pipeline?

Please let one of them be poloniex, please! :)

Mostly new players.

Dang.  You guys should keep trying to get poloniex on board.  That would be worth as much as 8 other exchanges imo. ;)

It will happen in due time. Right know they are quite happy (full with themselves) with the new money coming from the margin trading.

No matter what size our network is, there is another exchange out there that size that could double its size (and our size) by joining us.

Rinse and repeat.  :)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Not sure if it was common knowledge and i just missed it. But the Forbes article eludes to 8 exchanges being involved in Openledge's network, which is in effect the Bitshares network! only 3 listed on the slide so in my mind we have many more ground breaking announcements to come :)

Yes, many have yet to announce, but there are 8 in the pipeline I have had at least some contact with at various stages of maturity.  I guess BunkerDEX's long logo didn't fit on the viewgraph, but it should have been there...

We decided to reveal that hint early because of the high profile venue and Forbes coverage opportunity.

Mostly new players.

Dang.  You guys should keep trying to get poloniex on board.  That would be worth as much as 8 other exchanges imo. ;)

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

Mostly new players.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Mostly new players.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Good!  +5%

Unfortunately the important for me #11 was spent on some so so announcement.

and BM spent his free time 'inventing' ass licking brownie points...in the same time he could have lowered the collateral on the current bitAssets to 100%, so they (and he/we) do not look so stupid and way from the peg, for all the newcomers that this good new bring.

Tony, you missed the great thing about brownies:  The next time Bytemaster gets the irresistable urge to inflate the supply of something, he can do it to brownies instead of BTS. :P
A good one Ander, you made me laugh.  +5%

Offline Ander

• View Profile
Good!  +5%

and BM spent his free time 'inventing' ass licking brownie points...in the same time he could have lowered the collateral on the current bitAssets to 100%, so they (and he/we) do not look so stupid and way from the peg, for all the newcomers that this good new bring.

Tony, you missed the great thing about brownies:  The next time Bytemaster gets the irresistable urge to inflate the supply of something, he can do it to brownies instead of BTS. :P

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Good!  +5%

Offline Ander

• View Profile

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
The announcements are coming fast now!  Thanks for waiting until I got the last of my money in, hehe.

Yeah, it seems like Stan's stepping up the pace here. Do you think we could get daily announcements until launch? That'd be pretty extreme!
I wonder how many people are gonna go 'all in' in the build up. Hmmm...

Offline Ander

• View Profile
The announcements are coming fast now!  Thanks for waiting until I got the last of my money in, hehe.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Unlike most exchanges, you control your own private keys, so funds remain yours even when you’re trading with them. No one can reverse a transaction or freeze your account. Similarly, the exchange’s funds are all on the blockchain, totally transparently - so they can be audited by anyone, any time.

As I understand it the only way this could work is if when you deposit Bitcoin into CCEDK they give you a market pegged asset (BitBTC) in return on the BitShares blockchain. A UIA that represents BTC would become worthless if the exchange was goxxed.

Problems:
What if you deposit BTC and there is no BitBTC available to buy because no one is shorting it?
And what about for all the other altcoins where there is no volume to support a market pegged asset?
Also, what about the accusation that CCEDK as an exchange would then be operating on fractional reserves because they had to sell your BTC deposit for some derivative BitBTC that most maximalists dont want to believe even works?

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Wow 8 exchanges is a lot! Eager to know hear more news about this.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Amazingly cool. I'm struggling to keep up with all the innovations around here!

You should see the ones waiting back in the CNX lab
in a concrete lockbox so BM can't spend time on them yet.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
Grats. If CCEDK has a european E-Money license then this is pretty awesome as it means compliant fiat gateway tokens.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

38PTSWarrior

I knew it would be a walk in the park for him, woopwoop!

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Amazingly cool. I'm struggling to keep up with all the innovations around here!

Offline GChicken

• View Profile

whats the world coming too :)

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
very good news!

but is it OpenLedger, Openledger or Open Ledger? there are some typos on the website regarding the name I guess.

Yes, it's OpenLedger.  Half the screw ups were mine.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Offline GChicken

• View Profile
I think it was a good time to drop the hint and will be happy to see more hints coming out.
Given the 1700GBP per ticket entry seems to make it pretty high profile. We might have some new partners and big fish swimming in the tank with us over the next few days... they probably havent even had time to research Bitshares at this point (conference still goes for another 2 hours) but i bet you its written down in a lot of notepads!!

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:37:48 pm by Stan »

Offline GChicken

• View Profile
Great, would love to see these slides, also in the last 10 minutes the online user count has jumped a bit. 154 online ATM.

if your guest and your reading get involved, make an account and join the conversation.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Awesome!  This is something else.....what a week!  :D

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Ronny just called in from the conference giving permission to post his slides "in the best way possible."

That means Cass needs to do it...

:)

Offline GChicken

• View Profile

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Assets under stability is misspelled.

corrected - thx

i'll create ab github repo soon .. so we can track issues there ..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:29:30 pm by cass »

Offline DMo09

• View Profile
Let's show this article some love with some comments!
 +5%

Offline sudo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: ags

Offline Pheonike

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
 +5% +5%
This is great. Lets hope we get some traction. Great job guys.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
very good news!

but is it OpenLedger, Openledger or Open Ledger? there are some typos on the website regarding the name I guess.

Offline GChicken

• View Profile
First!,

Great Article, this is really going to open peoples eyes to the power of Bitshares and Graphene

Great Job all involved!

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
ANNOUNCEMENT 12 - Open Ledger Debuts Today - * Forbes Article *

Ronny Boesing is speaking in London today at the Global Money Transfer Summit where he will announce OpenLedger - his branding of a BitShares Exchange Network Portal.

The OpenLedger website is now live, ready for BitShares 2.0 on October 13.

Here's his corresponding Forbes Article:

And a longer one here at bitscan:

We'll see if we can get him to post his Cassified presentation slides here.
Here's a sneak peek...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:43:04 pm by Stan »