Author Topic: @BTS2 Witnesses: Please postpond Price feeds in the real net for 48h or so  (Read 3653 times)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
As I mentioned here https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18477.msg243368.html#msg243368
39% of bts1 delegates don't officially support bts2.0 migration (they don't upgraded to v0.9.3) http://bitsharesblocks.com/delegates

Should I assume the plan for them is to dumb bts1 coins to exchanges that will continue to trade bts1 coins?...
Do we know if such exchanges are in existence and which they are? bter(?),btc38(?)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
good idea .. i'll disable all by default and let them be enabled by the witness maintainer ..
Gonna implement on my flight to China on Sunday ..

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
How about letting the configuration file default to NONE exchange? And once a particular exchange formally announces that it has switched over to 2.0, the witness themselves update their feed's configuration file to 'activate' that particular exchange.  What we want is that the feed is coming from exchanges who formally announced they have switched over to 2.0 successfully.

Many  +5%s !!!

Yes, very short precise, technical explanation / translation of my view as well (expressed in my initial post in this thread).
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
How about letting the configuration file default to NONE exchange? And once a particular exchange formally announces that it has switched over to 2.0, the witness themselves update their feed's configuration file to 'activate' that particular exchange.  What we want is that the feed is coming from exchanges who formally announced they have switched over to 2.0 successfully.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
xeroc. 

Perhaps until we have everything ironed out you should have your bot require an
input to publish.  So for example it will pull pricing and convert it to human
readable form, and give a prompt.  Would you like to publish this feed?  Yes or
No.

Alternately if this would be too much of a pain to implement you could change it
so that rather than submitting the transaction to publish it just printed the
transaction to screen.  Then witnesses would have to double check the numbers,
copy paste, and publish manually. 

Sounds like a great idea .. I am going to implement a confirmation dialog! Have
the code somewhere already!

iHashFury

Is there any way to temporarily protect open short positions in 2.0 without blatant market manipulation?

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
xeroc. 

Perhaps until we have everything ironed out you should have your bot require an input to publish.  So for example it will pull pricing and convert it to human readable form, and give a prompt.  Would you like to publish this feed?  Yes or No.

Alternately if this would be too much of a pain to implement you could change it so that rather than submitting the transaction to publish it just printed the transaction to screen.  Then witnesses would have to double check the numbers, copy paste, and publish manually. 

Ultimately if we need to manually update feeds 3 times a day or so for the first few days we will all be okay. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
If there are no feeds published then the following will happen:

1.  Users will not be able to transfer BitAssets due to the lack of a core-exchange-rate
2.  No margin calls will be executed
3.  Shorts will not be able to adjust margin positions

I doubt there will be any exchanges that do not honor the upgrade, it would cost them all future BTS revenue.

So then I would need someone to review my code .. I don't want to be the one to be blamed afterwards ..
Gonna put a huge header into the script with a warning

//edit: is there a need for a minimum number of published feeds?!?

Here is a short yet informative disclaimer:

if time.time()  <  1444953600 : return

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

1.  Users will not be able to transfer BitAssets due to the lack of a core-exchange-rate

I doubt there will be any exchanges that do not honor the upgrade, it would cost them all future BTS revenue.

So then I would need someone to review my code .. I don't want to be the one to be blamed afterwards ..
Gonna put a huge header into the script with a warning

//edit: is there a need for a minimum number of published feeds?!?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:30:19 pm by xeroc »

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline betax

• View Profile
Different chains, different conversion rates. You are totally right. So what exchanges won't be migrating?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile
I absolutly agree that it's safest not to publish feeds when one exchange has not honoured the upgrade.
Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Publishing price feed for BTS1 on the BTS2 is effectively publishing wrong feed. Probably order of magnitude wrong. And it will undeniably be done on purpose, because no delegate on just launched BTS2 will be able to explain how he did not know BTS1 existed.

Add to that that BTS2 will be launched with 17 (?) delegates controlled by BM. So he will not be aware of his old blockchain?

And yes any delegate candidate should make triple sure he got the correct feeds before submitting ANY feed at all times, but particularly at launch time/ during her initial bid for witness position.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
witnesses on bts2.0 should ignore the exchange that does not  make the migration  (the price feed script should not get any price feeds from them)
Sure .. but how do we know this at launch?

I think here is your answer....
How would it be possible since exchange 1 would have the 0.9 wallet installed and exchange 2 the bts2.0 wallet?
the bts2.0 wallet could not receive bts from a bts1 wallet because they are on a different chain....
Step-by-step:

1) Wait for the snapshot
2) send BTS1 to the exchange that does NOT honor the snapshot
3) sell them against BTC
4) send BTC to an exchange that DOES honor the snapshot
5) buy more BTS (in the 2.0 chain)

Tada .. this all can be fixed by exchanges by
do not allow BTS1 deposits or withdrawals after the snapshot!

The idea of 0.9.3 was to have the delegates do that part and stop the blockchain .. I hope it will be that way .. not sure though .. :(