Author Topic: Publicly expressing my concern about the hard-coded hard fork to 2.0  (Read 20177 times)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
What is the recommended course of action for someone who wants to HODL their BTS straight through from BTS 0.9.2 through BTS 2.0 (Graphene) ?

wait until 2.0 is operational and import your keys. migration is easy

Offline Riverhead

What is the recommended course of action for someone who wants to HODL their BTS straight through from BTS 0.9.2 through BTS 2.0 (Graphene) ?

Continue to HODL. No action required.

Offline phillyguy

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Changing the release date based on forum member "fears" would be extemely detrimental to BTS.  If the devs find a bug that MUST be squashed before the release date then that is the only reason a delay should occur.

Offline fuzzy

that's why it is unwise to update to 0.9.3 prior we test bts2.0 with devshares!

Then why was the upgrade released and then announced?

https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/releases/tag/bts%2F0.9.3
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1182483.0

Also, people are actively being encouraged to upgrade on this forum:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18477.0.html

Can't we just release DevShares 2.0 and run that for a month before BitShares 2.0 is released then?
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
This upgrade is voluntary and should not have introduced any other hard-forking changes from 0.9.2.   Any delegate that does not think we the upgrade should occur can continue to run 0.9.2.   This release is for those of us who are actively preparing for the scheduled upgrade date.

But the snapshot happens on that date - those who do not upgrade and continue to use the old chain will be double spending.

you are not right.why double spending? 2 different chains will be in existence after the snapshot !  bts1.0 & bts2.0

Like pre and post upgrade of PTS. Most people dumped their PoW PTS post snapshot. I suspect the same will happen here with pre and post Graphene BTS.

I must have missed on this great dumping opportunity,  As I could not find a single exchange where to do it.  And as my unauthorized autobiography ghost writer knows  ;) - This will be one of my greatest shames.  :(

Just for the record, my personal view of morality is that it is dishonest to sell something you know to be worthless to unsuspecting people who didn't get the news about the upgrade.

Obviously it would be different if there was a serious minority that intended to continue to support and compete via the old chain.  (In which case, you wouldn't be selling something totally worthless.)

Just for the record, my personal view of morality is that it is pretty bad to include twisted and/or untrue facts while writing unauthorized autobiography. Including the above will be at least a true fact. The only thing left for twisting and misinterpretation will be the motives for doing what I did.
And just to clarify that-"Buyer beware" - I would expect someone buying something to have clear picture why he is buying .So he must have an idea what he is gonna do with them POW PTS.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:44:54 pm by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
This upgrade is voluntary and should not have introduced any other hard-forking changes from 0.9.2.   Any delegate that does not think we the upgrade should occur can continue to run 0.9.2.   This release is for those of us who are actively preparing for the scheduled upgrade date.

But the snapshot happens on that date - those who do not upgrade and continue to use the old chain will be double spending.

you are not right.why double spending? 2 different chains will be in existence after the snapshot !  bts1.0 & bts2.0

Like pre and post upgrade of PTS. Most people dumped their PoW PTS post snapshot. I suspect the same will happen here with pre and post Graphene BTS.

I must have missed on this great dumping opportunity,  As I could not find a single exchange where to do it.  And as my unauthorized autobiography ghost writer knows  ;) - This will be one of my greatest shames.  :(

Just for the record, my personal view of morality is that it is dishonest to sell something you know to be worthless to unsuspecting people who didn't get the news about the upgrade.

Obviously it would be different if there was a serious minority that intended to continue to support and compete via the old chain.  (In which case, you wouldn't be selling something totally worthless.)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

we should delay trading on eschanges with volume for a few hours pre and post fork
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline monsterer

If that is true, why is 0.9.3 a scuppering upgrade?
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Riverhead

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline monsterer

My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline wackou

that means that they are confident that everything will go just fine and that's a very  good sign...

hmmm no, that's not really what it means... :) I fully agree with Monsterer here, this release seems a bit premature and setting up a time-bomb like this feels *very* dangerous. I have the impression that what this means is that it was done to please investors and people who keep complaining about shifts in the release date, to show them that it will happen on that date for sure. But what if the network isn't stable by then? You have to have a plan B, and "release 0.9.4 a couple of days before to fix it" doesn't seem like a very good one to me.

This also puts an enormous pressure on the devs, which is not necessarily what you want to have to be able to focus clearly on coding (it's effectively a sword of Damocles hanging above their head...) I'd rather have an undefined release date that slips by a month (heck, even 3 months is very little compared to what this sets up to be) and have a rock-stable release then.

But let's see how the next testnet goes, if it runs really smooth then maybe the release can still be made on time. I trust that Stan will find some magic potion that he will feed to all core devs so they write bug-free code during the next 2 weeks :D
Please vote for witness wackou! More info at http://digitalgaia.io