Author Topic: A Worker Proposal Banner on CMC?  (Read 3838 times)

Offline mint chocolate chip

BTS was never put on CMC as a banner, Method-X considered it I believe as part of his proposal, but the cost was prohibitive since I think it was in the couple thousand dollar range. I think maybe Music (or was it Play) did do a banner during their crowd funding period.

Offline fuzzy

Im talking with @vrontis behind the scenes to implement qora on bitshares and sharedrop Qora tokens on the old chains users.

What do you mean for the old chain?
(please be careful)

Qoras current chain.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Im talking with @vrontis behind the scenes to implement qora on bitshares and sharedrop Qora tokens on the old chains users.

What do you mean for the old chain?
(please be careful)

Offline fuzzy

I can't remember which project it was, but I'm fairly certain somebody here had already done some testing with banners at CMC with horrible ROI.

We don't even have enough budget to pay current workers, let alone recruit new PAID workers.

Mh, you're right, it's probably not needed immediately after launch.

@bobmaloney This is helpful input.  Does anyone know how to get these metrics? 

@bm do you have the numbers for our budget? Im talking with @vrontis behind the scenes to implement qora on bitshares and sharedrop Qora tokens on the old chains users.  I have told them essentially what i thought and he seemed at least interested in exploring it.  Beyond Bitcoin can do much more of this over time if the budget can support devs...otherwise we might see them move to work on other platforms or form their own competing chains.  Paying even a small amount compared to the market rate can still get some amazing devs...if they have the same vision.

Its good to get to the numbers here first though...agreed.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline fuzzy

I do not support worker proposals for marketing, sorry.   That is what the referral program is for.   Generate user conversions for it to pay for it.

Beat me too it.

A well optimized and planned out advertising campaign.. where ever it may be.. will provide solid returns to whom ever is launching it.

Gaining analytics and testing to get better results will push for this because their own money is on the line. The one whom is most effective will win and so will the shareholders.

I think whom ever is doing that will likely be known to the community.. I would just wait for that time and suggest to them to try advertising on CMC. We don't really know how effective it really is.. good news is thanks to the blockchain every real refer will be counted.

I disagree personally.  I think the community should recognize that worker proposals can pay for BASIC things in the early days (we are still pretty early).  Also, the earlier we start bringing new devs in, the less centralized this will become as it grows later.  I would only be against an idea like this if someone wanted to use the funds to promote bitshares--and return all of the profits to themselves with it.  And I think it is important to note that I can and have already shown my willingness to do this type of stuff for the reason and stated purpose.  In fact, I'm offering to do it free of charge.

Ultimately we need to bring devs here BEFORE they become famous in the crypto space---because afterwards their loyalty costs much more than a banner and a worker proposal with generally lower wages. 

As for the community, I am working with someone I know and trust on how we can expand the referral system to our community so it will be there for all the little guys (and gals) to make the money instead of big institutions taking all of the pie.  I am confident the solution will help us all substantially. 

Regardless, anything monetarily gained from such a proposal would be burned or given away in some way that does not benefit myself.  The reason I'm bringing this up is not because it is advertising our product's distinct benefits over all other chains so as to bring as many eyes of crypto-devs to bitshares.  Why do I say this?  I am not entirely certain there are enough people who realize this ecosystem would pay them to help become builders on it and as I watch Neucoin grow to #31 on CMC because of its constant stream of advertising I find myself thinking we could benefit from such advertising.  Again.  Not advertising focusing on users but bringing in people working on their own projects to work on bitshares instead of in other ecosystems. 

Because these devs currently work in the bitcoin ecosystem with their own altcoins, trying to scrape out an existence which usually ends up with scammy token systems.  In BitShares, if they have interesting tech they can get paid to work on their cryptocurrency innovations here.  I think it is important to bring these people on board early on or risk them going to much better promoted platforms like Ethereum where it is considered "developer friendly". 

With that said, I reached out to CMC to find out pricing and have not (yet) received a response. 

I do not support worker proposals for marketing, sorry.   That is what the referral program is for.   Generate user conversions for it to pay for it.

+5%
Besides,  people that are checking CMC are likely already familiar with BitShares... what BitShares needs is to reach a different demographic to grow.
That different demographic should likely start with bringing in tons of developers to work for bitshares (instead of bitcoin, ethereum, supernet or any of the other potential competitors).  :P

banners are so stupid!

we should focus to bring "value" to the community, then our marketcap will increase and this will give us more then enough attention from CMC users.

so - 5% for this idea.

Devs are arguably those producing the most value for bitshares...this would be focused on bringing them on board--not just everyday users who only plan on using the service.  And as for banners being stupid, I assure you they exist because they work better than the alternative (no banners).  And mind you this would be COMPLETELY different than most banners--focusing on letting devs know bitshares' community is hiring...which is something I can't say is advertised by the bitshares symbol constantly in the top 10 :)

Then let them bring with them their own pump and dump crews so they can pump bitshares and realize it is the gift that keeps on giving (then decide not to dump). 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:38:18 pm by fuzzy »

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
banners are so stupid!

we should focus to bring "value" to the community, then our marketcap will increase and this will give us more then enough attention from CMC users.

so - 5% for this idea.

Offline yellowecho

+5%
Besides,  people that are checking CMC are likely already familiar with BitShares... what BitShares needs is to reach a different demographic to grow.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline bobmaloney

I can't remember which project it was, but I'm fairly certain somebody here had already done some testing with banners at CMC with horrible ROI.

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I agree that marketing for the sake of getting users/referral income has no place in a worker position.

however, as a company, it's up to us to bring in some fresh blood in terms of development. and IMO, worker recruitment justifies as worker proposal.

depends on the funds though, I say give fuzzy $500 and see how it goes.

We are not a company, but a community. Community all do their own part and play their own roles to help it. Up till now there was no compensation other than delegate funds.. but with the refer program there is plenty of incentive for people to start advertising.

All your affiliate promotion experience is really going to come in handy.

Frankly I don't think we are going to see a problem with not enough advertising.. we are going to see a problem of too much.. possibly misleading advertising.. then the question of governance over the refer program will come into play. I talked about this long ago when it was initially proposed.. I think the approach now is to wait and see and then try and figure out what to do. I don't see easy answers right now though.

Someone who really knows advertising, possibly even a company, will front their own money to advertise bitshares and run their own tests to gain metrics on its returns. We can only hope they might share that information with us, but it's highly unlikely. We do know if they continue to advertise that it's profitable, so you can follow in their footsteps after that, and thank them for spending the time and money to gain those metrics for bitshares. Pretty much the same way it goes for every affiliate promoted product.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
We don't even have enough budget to pay current workers, let alone recruit new PAID workers.

Mh, you're right, it's probably not needed immediately after launch.

Offline bytemaster

I agree that marketing for the sake of getting users/referral income has no place in a worker position.

however, as a company, it's up to us to bring in some fresh blood in terms of development. and IMO, worker recruitment justifies as worker proposal.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

Beat me too it.

A well optimized and planned out advertising campaign.. where ever it may be.. will provide solid returns to whom ever is launching it.

Gaining analytics and testing to get better results will push for this because their own money is on the line. The one whom is most effective will win and so will the shareholders.

I think whom ever is doing that will likely be known to the community.. I would just wait for that time and suggest to them to try advertising on CMC. We don't really know how effective it really is.. good news is thanks to the blockchain every real refer will be counted.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.