Author Topic: Please help  (Read 9644 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The log file is dated 10/6/2015, it's in this folder: BitShares/wallets/default/000080.log and it's 192KB

so it is not exposed from v0.9.3c since this version is released this month....
it is an old log file that was created back in June where the old wallet was installed...

So since it is not related with the last version I am not worried too much  ;)

edit:
+ as xeroc mentioned it has BTS on the beginning.... so no private key (I was also confused )

I am sorry for the mixed up, but the date is not Jun 10, 2015 but Oct 6, 2015, this was generated by v0.9.3c yesterday.

The owner_key starts with 5bts... I am just hoping that is not my private keys  :-\

Keys in BTS look like this:

"public_key": "BTS4wu2NUsAPaVMvB7PN3iSBqoBVWYBZM4Hmf6iNYHW7NExHYheM4",
  "wif_private_key": "5HyiZq7MHJfDERQkr9Z4CqqBwc83UB73KhRFzfZqB8DgSyttYdp",
  "native_address": "BTS52iTzHzKpSBb1XVRt6q9BspkJEgW51cch",

native_address and public_key are publicly known .. only the wif_private_key gives access to funds. it clearly does NOT contain BTS .. simply for the reason that "BTS" is a manually added prefix .. manually added only to pubkey and address for the sake recognition ...

Anyway, I have no idea why it says 5BTS... in the log file ...

Offline Louis

The log file is dated 10/6/2015, it's in this folder: BitShares/wallets/default/000080.log and it's 192KB

it is an old log file that was created back in June where the old wallet was installed...

edit:
+ as xeroc mentioned it has BTS on the beginning.... so no private key (I was also confused )

I am sorry for the mixed up, but the date is not Jun 10, 2015 but Oct 6, 2015, this was generated by v0.9.3c yesterday.

The owner_key starts with 5bts... I am just hoping that is not my private keys  :-\

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

edit:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:04:35 pm by liondani »

Offline Louis

have you a delegate? Have you ever used the command:

wallet_delegate_set_block_production  <account name> TRUE

?

I don't have a delegate and I have never used that command.

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
have you a delegate? Have you ever used the command:

wallet_delegate_set_block_production  <account name> TRUE

?

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Even with 0.9.3c I found my private key in one of the log files, that's very strange, why would a private key be exposed like that?

where do you find that log file? (path, folder)

Offline Louis

with your backup .json file and your password you will recover on any computer your account...
with the  key you found as far as i know you can NOT do the recover (it's just a public key, at least I think so), it is not your secret key. The wallet don't expose anywhere your secret keys in plain text (it is only encrypted inside your .json backup file). Waiting xeroc to confirm this  :)
To clarify:
public keys (worthless) start with "BTS...."
private keys (to spend your funds) start with "5...."

You had mention earlier on this post that private keys start with a 5, and that's why I am concern because according to the log file it starts with a 5 followed by BTS.... and on the beginning of the log file it states that the owner_key is 5BTS.....

Code: [Select]
index  idA  name xxxx public_datagui_datawebsite  owner_key5BTS5XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2Saactive_key_history2014-09-02T04:46:205BTS5XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2Saregistration_date2014-09-02T04:46:20 last_update2014-09-02T04:46:20 meta_datatype
titan_accountdata last_child_key_index        block_production_enabled custom_data approved        Aò}ÓÒí          
index  idA]      name xxxxx public_datagui_datawebsite

Wouldn't the owner_key be the same as the private_key?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
If there is a BTS at the beginning its a formated adress or pubkey .. privkeys dont contain BTS usually in particular not at the beginning

Offline Louis

It starts with 5BTS not BTS:   to_account5BTSXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2Sa .

I thought 5BTS are for private keys.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:29:44 pm by Louis »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Those strings are ok .. they start with BTS and are thus pubkeys or addresses .. all fine .. nothing exposed

Offline Louis

The log file is dated 10/6/2015, it's in this folder:
BitShares/wallets/default/000080.log and it's 192KB

Hmm .. very odd .. can you paste the suroundings of the priv key please (do obfuscate
the privkey)

Xeroc here is a small portion of the log file, it might be the last transaction:

Code: [Select]
$BTS5QXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDamountÐüz    claim_input_data typedeposit_op_typedataamount€9z    conditionasset_id        slate_id        typewithdraw_signature_typedataowner$BTS1XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXZWmemo one_time_key5BTSXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXtQaQencrypted_memo_data€20f1e157b5380a61578d6daddf82768aeef749a6c2bda652b810c4b065596df4372a0c253042e7f9da4546072b3c22959da640d4f4b0d16c8ee51b90bd0e0f49
signatures‚2010e909d8ba62740aae6973ef0694e7ad7d9dc410508b0e88c78b8c55858f35450885b2df12e39b24621f955a739cce9e60c3115eb0048a5cfb31b09c7dd0c310ledger_entries from_account5BTSXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX8
to_account5BTSXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX2Saamountamount€9z    asset_id        memomemo9feeamountPà     asset_id        created_time2015-10-07T08:30:30
received_time2015-10-07T08:30:30æˆ!â\ ¶            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue¦¢9     P<Q\ ·            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue¨¢9     Ôpˆ\ ¸            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue©¢9     —@!&\ ¹            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalueª¢9     qW/c\ º            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue«¢9     ¹éôD\ »            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue¬¢9     ÆG•ä\ ¼            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue­¢9     …w˜Æ\ ½            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue®¢9     c ª \ ¾            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue¯¢9     A–ªÁ\ ¿            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue°¢9     [Q·\ À            Iindex       key"last_unlocked_scanned_block_numbervalue±¢9     ˜¡¶´\ Á            Iindex 

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
The link that you provided says to use the wallet_export_key command, is
that the same as exporting my wallet from the menu (Export Wallet)?
It was intend to be the same thing. However the windows build/installer has not
be updated properly prior to compilation. Hence we advice everyone to use the
console and run wallet_export_keys instead. I updated the migration tutorial
accordingly:
http://docs.bitshares.eu/migration/howto-exporting-wallet.html

The log file is dated 10/6/2015, it's in this folder:
BitShares/wallets/default/000080.log and it's 192KB
Hmm .. very odd .. can you paste the suroundings of the priv key please (do obfuscate
the privkey)

Offline Louis

ONE FINAL STEP:
export NOW a backup .json wallet from your current wallet 0.9.3c (and keep the new .json file safe on 2 devices) because THAT .json file will be the compatible import file for graphene(bts2.0)!

I am still transferring funds from the exchange over to my wallet. Do I need to make one final backup of my wallet after the final transfer? or does it matter?

Do I also need to make a backup of my keys also, with the wallet_export_key command in the console?
If you do not expect any funds to receive untill the snapshot you are safe with
your current export:

PS when you are synced I suggest you make one more account on your wallet and move all your funds there since you found a secret key in plain text on your computer... (that way the wallet will use a new secret key for the new account that will not get exposed like the last one,just in case)

Even with 0.9.3c I found my private key in one of the log files, that's very strange, why would a private key be exposed like that?
How old is that log file. Cant find any priv keys in mine!

The link that you provided says to use the wallet_export_key command, is that the same as exporting my wallet from the menu (Export Wallet)?

Thanks Xeroc.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
ONE FINAL STEP:
export NOW a backup .json wallet from your current wallet 0.9.3c (and keep the new .json file safe on 2 devices) because THAT .json file will be the compatible import file for graphene(bts2.0)!

I am still transferring funds from the exchange over to my wallet. Do I need to make one final backup of my wallet after the final transfer? or does it matter?

Do I also need to make a backup of my keys also, with the wallet_export_key command in the console?
If you do not expect any funds to receive untill the snapshot you are safe with
your current export:

PS when you are synced I suggest you make one more account on your wallet and move all your funds there since you found a secret key in plain text on your computer... (that way the wallet will use a new secret key for the new account that will not get exposed like the last one,just in case)

How old is that log file. Cant find any priv keys in mine!

Offline Louis

ONE FINAL STEP:

Offline Louis

Great, thanks Liondani, that makes sense, I will do that. I am still syncing.

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
GOOD NEWS!!!!

I downloaded 0.9.3c and I was able to import my .json file and I was able to get it, with my normal password no problem. I just need to sync the wallet.

THANK YOU ALL so much for walking me through this.

congrats!!!

ONE FINAL STEP:

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Just to be sure, a person can slap the v0.92 chain folder under v0.93 correct? (to help sync faster)
Confirmed .. a reindex may be required (cant remember)

Tuck Fheman

Just to be sure, a person can slap the v0.92 chain folder under v0.93 correct? (to help sync faster)

Offline Louis

GOOD NEWS!!!!

I downloaded 0.9.3c and I was able to import my .json file and I was able to get it, with my normal password no problem. I just need to sync the wallet.

THANK YOU ALL so much for walking me through this.

Offline Louis

I found the log file (000197.log) with the owner_key under /wallet/default and I just doubled checked and it does start with 5bts5.... (54 characters all together)

I do have a BitShares Wallet Backup.json file that was from prior to installing 0.9.2 (July 10, 2015)

The old wallet from back in February has finished syncing but it is doing what the new (0.9.2) is doing, namely it's just does not say if the password is wrong or anything, no matter what I enter nothing happens except for the three dots that appear and disappear.

I will now download the new wallet (0.9.3c) and see what happens.

Hopefully the owner_key that starts with 5BTS5... is worth something (I had never changed it manually).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:19:17 pm by Louis »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Is there no *.json file around?

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
with your backup .json file and your password you will recover on any computer your account...
with the  key you found as far as i know you can NOT do the recover (it's just a public key, at least I think so), it is not your secret key. The wallet don't expose anywhere your secret keys in plain text (it is only encrypted inside your .json backup file). Waiting xeroc to confirm this  :)
To clarify:

Meanwhile under the /wallet/default of (0.9.2 installed on July 10, 2015) , I found a file called 000197.log (dated 7/24/2015) that shows the name of my account and "owner_key" that starts with 5bts5...... all together there are 54 characters, it is followed by registration_date, last_update and a whole bunch of other stuff,  the whole file is 192k.

strange that he found then a secret key on a log file !!! I can only remember on the very early days that that was the case with dangerous log files, but i think only for wallets that had delegates activated,not?....

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
To clarify:

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
I am confident I have a good backup of the .json wallet file. What I think I need is my recovery key, just in case, can I get this from my old wallet once I login?

If I do find my recovery key can I use that to recover my account on another computer if need be?

Do you know if the owner_key fond on the file I mentioned earlier is the key I need to recover my account?

Thanks again

edit: it is a secret key! Don't expose it!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:06:51 pm by liondani »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I am confident I have a good backup of the .json wallet file. What I think I
need is my recovery key, just in case, can I get this from my old wallet once I
login?

If I do find my recovery key can I use that to recover my account on another computer if need be?
The full client does not use recovery keys or a brain key.
All you need to recover your funds is the wallet backup file and the pass
phrase.

Do you know if the owner_key fond on the file I mentioned earlier is the key I
need to recover my account?
Usually you can recover access to your funds from your owner key.
You may need to run
wallet_regenerate_keys <accountname> 10500
and rescan the blockchain, but with the owner (private) key you can in most
cases recover your account and the funds.

The only cases where this does not work if you had changed your keys manually
and received funds afterwards (I would doubt that)

Offline Louis

I am confident I have a good backup of the .json wallet file. What I think I need is my recovery key, just in case, can I get this from my old wallet once I login?

Do you know if the owner_key fond on the file I mentioned earlier is the key I need to recover my account?

Thanks again

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
But I am afraid that if I installed 0.9.3c it might overwrite something on 0.9.2, should I be concern about that?

Or should I do what Xeroc said on 0.9.2, the upgrade to 0.9.3c?

BTW the older version is about 10 to 20 minutes from finishing syncing, I should be able to login with my password, would it be worth it just in case my password did change?

Thank you so much for putting up with my issue.

you will not have a problem with the upgrade. Just in case, and to be more confident copy  the folder "wallets" to another safe folder on your computer or a usb device before upgrading....
If it is only 20 minutes just wait and when you are ready login and export your wallet again(and keep the .json file safe) from this wallet, but after that you should upgrade to 0.9.3c and make from there a last export of your wallet because it will be much easier to make the transition to bts2.0 using the backup .json file from this version....

Offline Louis

But I am afraid that if I installed 0.9.3c it might overwrite something on 0.9.2, should I be concern about that?

Or should I do what Xeroc said on 0.9.2, and then upgrade to 0.9.3c?

BTW the older version is about 10 to 20 minutes from finishing syncing, I should be able to login with my password, would it be worth it just in case my password did change?

Thank you so much for putting up with my issue.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:07:05 pm by Louis »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
do what xeroc said ^^^  but with the latest version v0.9.3c and it should work!  Don't waist your time waiting to sync with an old version since you will have to upgrade to v0.9.3c at the end to make a final export of your wallet that is compatible with bts2.0 that will be released on 13 October 2015  ;)   (it often replays all the blockchain on upgrades, so make you a favor and make your import fro client v0.9.3c)

https://bitshares.org/download/
or
https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/releases

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Hi Xeroc,

I have tried "open default" and I get this:
10001 level_map_failure: level_map open failure
Failure opening database c:/Users/..../AppData/Roaming/BitShares/wallets/default
  {"db"::"C:/Users/..SAME PATH/default","msg":Corruption checksum mismatch"}

So it might not be a problem with the password, but some corrupted file.

What can I do at this point?

Locate the automatic backups in %APPDATA%\Roadming\BitShares\wallets\.backups\default   (note the "." in front of backups)
pick the newest backup and restore from the menu bar in the GUI

Offline Louis

Hi  Liondani,

I was in the process of making a second backup of my json file and I ran into an older folder under My Documents/bitshare where I had installed the previous version of Bitshares, I am running it right now and it says at the bottom:  Replaying blockchain ... Approximately 37% complete.

It does not show what version it is, but I did installed it back on Feb 6th 2015

Maybe I would be able to login to this wallet and get my key when it completes replaying the blockchain.

------

Meanwhile under the /wallet/default of (0.9.2 installed on July 10, 2015) , I found a file called 000197.log (dated 7/24/2015) that shows the name of my account and "owner_key" that starts with 5bts5...... all together there are 54 characters, it is followed by registration_date, last_update and a whole bunch of other stuff,  the whole file is 192k.

Could the owner_key be the recovery key?

-------

BTW I am running the wallet on a Windows 7 computer, no Linux

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
be sure you keep safely all your backup.json files on a second storage/usb
and my opinion is to use better the latest you have when trying to do the import....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:23:18 pm by liondani »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Hi Xeroc,

Failure opening database c:/Users/..../AppData/Roaming/BitShares/wallets/default

well it seems it has not to do with the password...
try this:
rename the folder "wallets" to  "wallets_backup" for example.... (path something like c:/Users/..../AppData/Roaming/BitShares/)
then open the bitshares client again....
it will request from you to create an new account ....
don't do it but get to the file menu and import from there your backup file...  (.json)

PS better you do it with the new version 0.9.3c
PS2 be patient and wait until your wallet sync again
PS3 Is there any chance you are using the windows client on a linux system using wine  ? ? ?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 04:15:20 pm by liondani »

Offline Louis

Hi Xeroc,

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Liondani I really appreciate you replies.

I just noticed that I may be entering the password correctly, however the wallet (0.9.1) does not give me any indication that I have entered the wrong password, I don't get any error message at all. All it does after I've entered my password is come up with 3 circles that grow from left to right and right to left for about 4 seconds, then I enter another password the three circles appear for a fraction of a second.

Shouldn't I be getting a "wrong password" message or something?

PS: I did find a backup from Sep 1, 2014, named: Bitshare X Wallet Backup.json

Please try with the bitshares_client.exe CLI wallet instead .. once you opened it .. it will eventually reach the input indicated with ">>>" .. then you type "open default" to open the default wallet ...
once you see ">>>" again .. you type "unlock 999999" hit enter and provide the passphrase ..

if no error appears, your pass phrase is fine ..

you can also type "info" to get information about syncing progress etc..

Offline Louis

Liondani I really appreciate you replies.

I just noticed that I may be entering the password correctly, however the wallet (0.9.1) does not give me any indication that I have entered the wrong password, I don't get any error message at all. All it does after I've entered my password is come up with 3 circles that grow from left to right and right to left for about 4 seconds, then I enter another password the three circles appear for a fraction of a second.

Shouldn't I be getting a "wrong password" message or something?

PS: I did find a backup from Sep 1, 2014, named: Bitshare X Wallet Backup.json

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Is it possible your password has also spaces?
If so and your password for example is "123456 789" try only the first part of your password (   "123456")

https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares/issues/1054

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
If I remember correctly there is a known bug for older backups that displays "incorect password" or something like that,  installing version 0.5.3(if I remember correctly) and importing the wallet and then upgrading to the latest version could solve this, but I don't know if this is what is happening to you  :-\

I don't remember on which version it happened but you are right. So if that is the case upgrading should fix his problem....

chryspano

I had downloaded Bitshares 0.9.1 back in July. I synced it and it was up to date.

I do have a json backup of my wallet from Frebruary 2015

I bought a new computer and am in the process of downloading  0.9.3c.

I don't remember changing the password on my current wallet, when I try to login with my normal password it is not letting me in.

Is there a way to recover my account with the February json file that I have after installing Bishares 0.9.3c on my new computer?

Is there a limit to the password login attemps one can use?

Thank you,

EDIT: I did find a json backup prior to installing 0.9.1 in July 10th 2015

Are you sure your backup is from February and not abit older?

If I remember correctly there is a known bug for older backups that displays "incorect password" or something like that,  installing version 0.5.3(if I remember correctly) and importing the wallet and then upgrading to the latest version could solve this, but I don't know if this is what is happening to you  :-\

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
Thanks for you reply Xeroc.

On other question: Let's say that I find my password a week or a month after the 2.0 release, would I be able to still try to use the 0.9.1 wallet to access my account?

... after you find it update to  0.9.3c that is the only version that will let you easily make you a graphene(bts2.0) compatible wallet backup.... and after your 0.9.3c backup you are ready to install graphene(bts2.0.) and import from your last backup.

PS it is possible it works BUT then it would be bts1.0 tokens not bts2.0! You must import your wallet to the new bts2.0 wallet, and yes you can do it after 13 October
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 06:56:46 am by liondani »

Offline Louis

Thanks for you reply Xeroc.

On other question: Let's say that I find my password a week or a month after the 2.0 release, would I be able to still try to use the 0.9.1 wallet to access my account?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Thanks Riverhead and Triglodactyl for your suggestions.

are there instructions on how to go about using a dictionary or a brute force strategy?

Or do you mean to just create my own dictionary and just try it one by one?
There are no automated tools that can help you with this yet .. You will need to write this yourself :(

Offline Louis

Thanks Riverhead and Triglodactyl for your suggestions.

are there instructions on how to go about using a dictionary or a brute force strategy?

Or do you mean to just create my own dictionary and just try it one by one?

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Thanks for your response Troglodactyl,

If I am not able to remember my password is there a way to get it back with just the Json backup?

Without the password you can't get into the wallet.  If you can't remember the password, the only other option would be using a dictionary or brute force strategy to try to guess the password if it isn't too long and complex.

Offline Riverhead

If I am not able to remember my password is there a way to get it back with just the Json backup?

There is no way to recover without the password unless you had exported your private keys. Just keep trying. I once thought for sure I knew a password and it was days until I finally got it. Create a text file of your attempts and iterations so you're not trying the same one multiple times. Trust me - it helps.

Offline Louis

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
There is no limit to the number of login attempts allowed.

The backup from 0.9.1 should be fine on 0.9.3c.  Just be careful and make sure you keep your backups safe while figuring things out.

Update us if you run into any more specific issues, and I hope it works out.

Offline Louis

I had downloaded Bitshares 0.9.1 back in July. I synced it and it was up to date.

I do have a json backup of my wallet from Frebruary 2015

I bought a new computer and am in the process of downloading  0.9.3c.

I don't remember changing the password on my current wallet, when I try to login with my normal password it is not letting me in.

Is there a way to recover my account with the February json file that I have after installing Bishares 0.9.3c on my new computer?

Is there a limit to the password login attemps one can use?

Thank you,

EDIT: I did find a json backup prior to installing 0.9.1 in July 10th 2015
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 11:37:42 pm by Louis »