Author Topic: voting uncertainties  (Read 4657 times)

Offline 5chdn

• i wonder how many chars i can put in this field 50
    • View Profile
    • Votesapp
  • GitHub: 5chdn
To make my balance count for the vote, do I have to move them back? How does that work? That would be a pain to explain voters.

What about that issue? Is it an issue? That would explain that my votes wont show up unless the voter knows what he is doing or I'm voting for myself...

Offline arcke

• View Profile
    • Diaspora
When I have a balance of 10 MMC and send 1 satoshi to a voting address, all my funds will be moved to an exchange address.

To make my balance count for the vote, do I have to move them back? How does that work? That would be a pain to explain voters.

I've recieved 10-15 votes already for my candidatures but even after 24h it wont show up above the 10% Droop Quota.

Which block will set the winners?

Every 20th block recounts teh votes.
This means whoever has voted you has a very low balance, possibly one person voting multiple times.
This makes me think. I voted for donschoe and donschoe can send me MMC. This would strengthen his vote. In general,candidates could buy more votes by giving their voters MMC. Am I right so far?
Technically, but they could also send MMC to themselves and vote for themselves.
Yes, it would be a bit crazy otherwise when bribes are embedded in the system.
OpenPGP: 0x22d7e9cc35375665
PTS - PawnbhoiXhmkrKJEPAsCiwkpP81nRXJGTD
Diaspora profile - https://pod.orkz.net/u/arcke

Offline isaacgoldbourne

• View Profile
When I have a balance of 10 MMC and send 1 satoshi to a voting address, all my funds will be moved to an exchange address.

I've recieved 10-15 votes already for my candidatures but even after 24h it wont show up above the 10% Droop Quota.

This means whoever has voted you has a very low balance, possibly one person voting multiple times.
This makes me think. I voted for donschoe and donschoe can send me MMC. This would strengthen his vote. In general,candidates could buy more votes by giving their voters MMC. Am I right so far?
Technically, but they could also send MMC to themselves and vote for themselves.
MemoryDice now available! https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1886.0
 Vote for me to be CNO of memorycoin if you want these services. Just send 1 satoshi!
CNO: MVTEcno2tbsJWj7AQEyEjgk72j94hbPHFm

Offline arcke

• View Profile
    • Diaspora

OpenPGP: 0x22d7e9cc35375665
PTS - PawnbhoiXhmkrKJEPAsCiwkpP81nRXJGTD
Diaspora profile - https://pod.orkz.net/u/arcke

Offline isaacgoldbourne

• View Profile

MemoryDice now available! https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1886.0
 Vote for me to be CNO of memorycoin if you want these services. Just send 1 satoshi!
CNO: MVTEcno2tbsJWj7AQEyEjgk72j94hbPHFm

Offline 5chdn

• View Profile
    • Votesapp

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:09:19 pm by donschoe »

Offline pvaladares

• View Profile
PTS : PkbJAm9uxuGgC9n2NVwWYs8bvX3Mj8uAg3 | MMC : M91vp33SSVBG7N3X9CbrgMcwSBxTDQeDAb
BTC : 1CrAkkYZrVCnwDKSBw3bcnMSYMakEhfB6N
Trade BTC/PTS @ cryptsy.com

Offline 5chdn

• View Profile
    • Votesapp
The fees for voting are still desired, arent they?

I remember discussions to remove the fees for voting addresses.

Offline belltown

• View Profile
This is really confusing technical topic. Thanks for a great question, seraphim! I've added a link on www.MemoryCoin.info
How I've earned 0.088 BTC for making few forum posts on LetsTalkBitcoin - https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6684

Offline seraphim

Thanks for clearing that up!
Meet you on STEEM

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
The result is calculated from the votes and balances as they stood 20 blocks previously. Updated balances and weights are re-calculated every time.
So I have to wait 20 blocks to see actual vote results?

Sometimes more - say you vote in block 3901, the vote counts from 3920, the result shown in 3940.

It is done this way to avoid long orphan chains from confusing the clients.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline 5chdn

• View Profile
    • Votesapp
The result is calculated from the votes and balances as they stood 20 blocks previously. Updated balances and weights are re-calculated every time.
So I have to wait 20 blocks to see actual vote results?

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
It is clear that only addresses can vote, not wallets like one might think after reading the current guide.

That's correct - but as change addresses aren't used by the main wallet software, in ordinary usage one wallet will use only one address.

But when you look through the voting results you can see that multiple actual officers got a vote by an address with a very big amount. The weight of that vote counts different for each of those officers.
Does that mean that the weight of the vote is calculated once, when voting, and keeps like that until a new vote is given?

In the 'Supported By' section of the vote report, it looks like the same address has a different balance depending on the vote. This is because some candidates receive greater than the Droop quota (the amount required to win), so the software considers that only a portion of the balance was required to win the vote, and that is the amount shown. It has no impact, and is a vestige of the MC1 voting where more than one candidate could be elected in a single vote.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:40:01 am by FreeTrade »
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline seraphim

While thinking about a good voting guide I realized I myself aren't completely sure about the process yet.

It is clear that only addresses can vote, not wallets like one might think after reading the current guide.
But when you look through the voting results you can see that multiple actual officers got a vote by an address holding a very big amount. The weight of that vote counts different for each of those officers.
Does that mean that the weight of the vote is calculated once, when voting, and keeps like that until a new vote is given?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:33:36 am by seraphim »
Meet you on STEEM