Author Topic: The BitShares Hosted Web Wallet is ready...  (Read 63569 times)

Offline konelectric

Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline mariano76

• View Profile
Good link konelectric, thanks!

Offline konelectric

Hello friends,

I am learning about bitshares and presently have purchased bitshares on Poloniex.  My goal is to get my bitshares into a secure wallet until I decide what options I will pursue.
I have thought about waiting  until BitShares 2.0 and then transfer my shares into the 2.0 web wallet from the exchange.   

My other option as I see it is to download the Bitshares hosted web wallet now before 2.0 and transfer my shares to this wallet.  Would these shares then automatically transfer to the 2.0 web wallet on October 13?  Is this a better option for me?     

Many thanks.
. I think these instructions are the best way http://blog.smartcoin.pw/2015/09/bitshares-how-to-prepare-your-wallet.html?m=1
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:43:46 pm by konelectric »
Tweeter: Konelectric. Steemit: Konelectric. Youtube: Patrick Konshak. Success Council: Yourship. Mumble: Yourship or Konelectric.

Offline nickelback70

• View Profile
Hello friends,

I am learning about bitshares and presently have purchased bitshares on Poloniex.  My goal is to get my bitshares into a secure wallet until I decide what options I will pursue.
I have thought about waiting  until BitShares 2.0 and then transfer my shares into the 2.0 web wallet from the exchange.   

My other option as I see it is to download the Bitshares hosted web wallet now before 2.0 and transfer my shares to this wallet.  Would these shares then automatically transfer to the 2.0 web wallet on October 13?  Is this a better option for me?

Many thanks.

Offline henscyber

• View Profile
this is bug from webwallet? my depositand withdrawal missing

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18555.0.html

please comment

Offline konelectric

Unfortunate for me.

I'll have a iPad, no other computer.
So I need a mobile solution that I can have 100% confidence in.

I've watched the Bitshares price double in recent weeks, and it seems like I'm going to miss the boat for investment before Bitshares 2.0 is released.

argh. frustrated.
If you know a Bitshares holder that you can trust. You could have them hold Bitshares on their wallet until you have one working.

Offline Average Guy on Street

• View Profile
Unfortunate for me.

I'll have a iPad, no other computer.
So I need a mobile solution that I can have 100% confidence in.

I've watched the Bitshares price double in recent weeks, and it seems like I'm going to miss the boat for investment before Bitshares 2.0 is released.

argh. frustrated.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
@jcalfee1  Thanks for answering my previous questions :)

I have another.

With the release of Bitshares 2.0, will the web wallet be safe to use as a primary wallet to hold all your BTS ?

Or would still recommend only using the web wallet to hold smaller amounts of funds for daily transactions?
Still unproven software ..
however i used tje current web wallet alot and never lost a single satoshi

New webeallet will implememt almost the whole protocol .. i think you will be fine to import all your funds evetually ..
give it some time to mature

• View Profile
@jcalfee1  Thanks for answering my previous questions :)

I have another.

With the release of Bitshares 2.0, will the web wallet be safe to use as a primary wallet to hold all your BTS ?

Or would still recommend only using the web wallet to hold smaller amounts of funds for daily transactions?

Offline jamesc

@jcalfee1, @xerox

For some of us the only real options are to either a) keep funds on an exchange or b) use the current web wallet.  Which would you recommend during the transition to 2.0? 

Also, even if a) above is preferred, obviously some assets cannot be held outside of a Bitshares wallet.  So a transition from the current web wallet to the new web wallet will be necessary for some of us either way.  With that in mind, can you tell me if such a transition would be as simple as entering the seed words into the new web wallet? 

Thanks in advance.
Definitely web wallet. And you will be able to import your tokens from the brain seed from what I know .. @jcalfee1 should know: will the brain import regenerate all keys and import them automatically? IIRC the accounts are non titan, so transfer keys are easy .. what about market orders?

The hosted wallet has "Setting" and a way to "Backup" the wallet.  Use that feature.  Make sure you know your password.  We need to have some level of brainkey support in the new wallet, but your backup files will be the only thing you really need.  Also backup files are going to be important in the future.  It is a good option to start now and make sure your have your private keys that were created at any point when there were code changes taking place in the hosted wallet..  If everyone uses the Backup method it could help us keep the new codebase a bit cleaner...  It is a good idea to have this secondary USB backup file.

Exchanges are going to have to figure out how to do balance claims and integrate with our API.  I'm sure they will work it out.  The goal is definitely to limit the amount of time and amount of the funds have to go into a 3rd party like an exchange.

2 cents (hope I'm not sounding like a broken-record here) .. I would use the hosted wallet like a real wallet: just keep what I might need to spend and would not mind too much if I lost it...   Any substantial amounts I would keep in a locally installed audited open source program on a safe and secure operating system (open source if possible too).  I use the native wallet and Ubuntu..  I know it is asking a lot from some, but this is good practice for any local program local hardware in general.  I believe high security JavaScript is possible and we are getting closer by the week.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
@jcalfee1, @xerox

For some of us the only real options are to either a) keep funds on an exchange or b) use the current web wallet.  Which would you recommend during the transition to 2.0? 

Also, even if a) above is preferred, obviously some assets cannot be held outside of a Bitshares wallet.  So a transition from the current web wallet to the new web wallet will be necessary for some of us either way.  With that in mind, can you tell me if such a transition would be as simple as entering the seed words into the new web wallet? 

Thanks in advance.
Definitely web wallet. And you will be able to import your tokens from the brain seed from what I know .. @jcalfee1 should know: will the brain import regenerate all keys and import them automatically? IIRC the accounts are non titan, so transfer keys are easy .. what about market orders?

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
@jcalfee1, @xerox

Thanks in advance.

Offline jamesc

Is it safe to use the Web Wallet with iOS browsers?

Just make sure you backup the Brainkey key and wallet file before you send any money to your account.   Send a small amount.  You really only need one: brainkey or wallet backup.

Safari was tested in Bitshares 2 and with a lot of help from Valentine it is working...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:09:09 am by jcalfee1 »

• View Profile
Is it safe to use the Web Wallet with iOS browsers?

Offline jamesc

The BTS .9 (aka 1.0) web wallet does not support voting.  Also, this version is still for small amounts only.  The  2.0 web wallet can vote using the user interface.  We will use that when it is put into production.