Author Topic: https://bitshares.org/wallet  (Read 5403 times)

Offline brainbug

• View Profile
I'll make a download able bundle containing the web wallet if you wish .. it really only contains a few js files html and css .. super slick ..

That would be nice to "standard users" like me ;-)

Offline brainbug

• View Profile
Someone please put a warning message box in front of the official online wallet, saying clearly that online wallets are inherently less safe than local wallets (i.e., running a local client on our own machine as basis for the wallet gui).
That is not totally true .. the webwallet runs you keys locally .. its not like blockchain.info
to be super secure you compile the web wallet on you own and run it locally .. it would still be a web wallet but very secure

Most users will be unable to distinguish between blockchain.info and local webwallet.
For them it is just a browser thingy.

"Web wallet" is used for both local application AND remote service.
You need to make sure exactly how it works in order to state that it is "safe".

A little (one time) warning/info message wouldn't hurt anyone. Users should made aware that "online banking" is not without risk. Surely, the Monero dudes (also being focused on security) would appreciate this move, too.

I haven't checked the online wallet in detail, but is there a two-factor authentication available, or multisig, or so? (Ok, maybe a stupid question because the answer is out there and obvious, and I simply have not seen it yet.) Thx :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 01:33:08 pm by brainbug »

Offline betax

• View Profile
https://bitshares.openledger.info seems to be ok but https://bitshares.org/wallet/  it appears blank, with wss://bitshares.org:8090 connection error
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I'll make a download able bundle containing the web wallet if you wish .. it really only contains a few js files html and css .. super slick ..

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
Someone please put a warning message box in front of the official online wallet, saying clearly that online wallets are inherently less safe than local wallets (i.e., running a local client on our own machine as basis for the wallet gui).
That is not totally true .. the webwallet runs you keys locally .. its not like blockchain.info
to be super secure you compile the web wallet on you own and run it locally .. it would still be a web wallet but very secure

Most users will be unable to distinguish between blockchain.info and local webwallet.
For them it is just a browser thingy.

"Web wallet" is used for both local application AND remote service.
You need to make sure exactly how it works in order to state that it is "safe".
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 12:14:44 pm by emski »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline brainbug

• View Profile

Offline devlux

• View Profile
Doesn't seem to work at all Bytemaster, looks like you're blocking port 8090 (cloudflare maybe) ?

Code: [Select]
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at wss://bitshares.org:8090/. app.js:2:0
"Connecting..." app.js:2:145522
"connecting to wss://bitshares.org:8090" app.js:2:145926
mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create vendors.js:1:183602
downloadable font: download failed (font-family: "Roboto-Regular" style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:1): status=2147746065 source: https://bitshares.org/fonts/Roboto-Regular.woff app.css:1:850
downloadable font: download failed (font-family: "Roboto-Regular" style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:2): status=2147746065 source: https://bitshares.org/fonts/Roboto-Regular.ttf app.css:1:850
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at wss://bitshares.org:8090/. app.js:2:0
"!!! WebSocket Error " "wss://bitshares.org:8090" app.js:2:148229
The connection to wss://bitshares.org:8090/ was interrupted while the page was loading. app.js:2:0
"[App.jsx] ----- App.willTransitionTo error ----->" error { target: <div>, isTrusted: false, detail: undefined, eventPhase: 0, bubbles: false, cancelable: false, defaultPrevented: false, timeStamp: 1444800592022966, originalTarget: <div>, explicitOriginalTarget: <div>, NONE: 0 } app.js:2:71505

"!!! WebSocket Error " "wss://bitshares.org:8090" app.js:2:148229
The connection to wss://bitshares.org:8090/ was interrupted while the page was loading. app.js:2:0
"!!! WebSocket Error " "wss://bitshares.org:8090"

Offline emailtooaj

To add to tucks question, isn't all the sub accounts we port over suppose to be automatic lifetime members, if they were registered before the cut off date?
Sound Editor of Beyondbitcoin Hangouts. Listen to latest here - https://beyondbitcoin.org support the Hangouts! BTS Tri-Fold Brochure https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
Tip BROWNIE.PTS to EMAILTOOAJ

Tuck Fheman

you can partially import balances and also define where they should be claimed to .. though it will only allow you to choose (registered) accounts that your actually own (for obvious reasons :) )
Thanks!

Well, now I have a really stupid question. I was going through the light wallet import process and when at the screen to choose an account from a dropdown I started playing around and got distracted and clicked away from that screen.

Now I can't find out how to get back to it and see no other way to claim funds. lel, I'm an idiot. I don't know why I must play with everything to see what happens instead of just following the instructions!  :P

Also, when I'm selecting from that dropdown, that's the account I want to import the balances to and below I can select which accounts via the checkboxes to import from, is that correct?

And then I can go back and do that for each account I want to import funds to, correct?

Edit: You click the + to add a new account, then select the Existing Accounts link again. ;)

And I see the answer to my other question now.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:18:36 am by Tuck Fheman »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
you can partially import balances and also define where they should be claimed to .. though it will only allow you to choose (registered) accounts that your actually own (for obvious reasons :) )

Tuck Fheman

The light wallet will expose balances as well.

Claiming your balances is split into 2 parts.  First you import your keys.  This gives you ownership of your accounts.  Second you must claim your balances.  This second step is what will cause your balances to be visible on the blockchain.  The wallet will allow you to claim balances to any account you have in your wallet.  So if you have a bunch of money in tuckfheman that you don't want your ex wives to know about you can always claim it to another account.  Hopefully one those gold diggers don't know about. 

I haven't tried creating a new account and then claiming it to that account yet, but I think it would work.

Aww hell yeah thanks! That's what I needed to know.

One more question before I begin this quest. I just want to be absolutely sure before I begin ... in the light wallet, if I import my keys I will be asked which account I want to claim all (or a portion of?) funds from ALL accounts (or can I select accounts)?

Thanks! I'm feeling much better about things now. ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:17:53 am by Tuck Fheman »

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
By "light" I'm assuming that means no exchange, correct?

"Light" in the context of wallets typically means no local copy of the blockchain.

Does the light wallet expose balances like the web wallets? 

I'm currently assuming any balance imported now will be exposed.
The light wallet will expose balances as well.

Claiming your balances is split into 2 parts.  First you import your keys.  This gives you ownership of your accounts.  Second you must claim your balances.  This second step is what will cause your balances to be visible on the blockchain.  The wallet will allow you to claim balances to any account you have in your wallet.  So if you have a bunch of money in tuckfheman that you don't want your ex wives to know about you can always claim it to another account.  Hopefully one those gold diggers don't know about. 

I haven't tried creating a new account and then claiming it to that account yet, but I think it would work.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mavisjames

• View Profile
BitShares.org/wallet now has a copy of the light wallet sources.   

Behind the scenes it still uses OpenLedger to register accounts and serve blockchain data. 

In theory you can use https://bitshares.org/wallet to point at your own full node in the cloud.  It also serves as a basic block explorer.

Very cool Bytemaster. Congratulations to you and the team. Smooth and appealing. Good luck!
Pmp2K9S5t15hTEkrrFk1cfieb2Y2eVR6YG

BTSX ID: mdyyz

Tuck Fheman

By "light" I'm assuming that means no exchange, correct?

"Light" in the context of wallets typically means no local copy of the blockchain.

Does the light wallet expose balances like the web wallets? 

I'm currently assuming any balance imported now will be exposed.