Author Topic: Beyond Bitcoin Worker Proposal? (Poll)  (Read 5381 times)

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Perhaps a break down of what funds are needed and for what would be helpful
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

Thanks to everyone participating in this poll and discussion.  I am intentionally keeping quiet but paying attention to the discussion. 

Thank you also for being constructive and rational.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline rnglab

• View Profile
  • BitShares: rnglab
I see a number of initiatives around Bitshares having a consistency that I could only explain by the fact of having strong ideas and principles in common, in many cases even beyond profit expectations.
I think feeding back that trust is where a creation of intrinsic value begins.
An outstanding consensus platform potentates that value and makes it exchangeable.

We are tired of non consensual value and I think one of Bitshares core strengths is to be an authentic alternative.
With marketing as one of the main ways for imposing value, using (only) the same old strategies,without special cares, could be a double-edged sword in this fast evolving scenario.

I agree in that a flood of marketing worker proposals won't be beneficial, but having our major promoters approved and rewarded by stakeholders/community might ensure a strong and honest message, one that should become a referent for new external marketers and a shadow against cheap opportunistic spammers.

(Off topic: I see a huge potential in the overall worker system. I'd love to see it growing into a full decentralized job marketplace sone day.) (How's DPOShub going by the way?)

Tuck Fheman

You said that we had many referrals

Actually, I was saying BB has less than 10 according to this page ... https://faucet.bitshares.org/refscoreboard

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Off-topicy
I have this idea:A list of marketers with a picture and what they do on bitshares.org, and then the users can click on their favourite marketer to register their account.

So I could point everyone there and the new users would see that I am trustworthy because it  looks official and the newbies can see that we organize.

Good idea

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
When's the last time you were able to personally speak to Dan, outside of Beyond Bitcoins weekly Hangouts??? :P

priceless

The access we have to our lead developer is incredible.  I'm still not sure about a worker proposal for beyond bitcoin though.  I would help donate time and or money to help keep it afloat.  I can't justify the blockchain paying for it directly though.  While I find great value in beyond bitcoin, there are large portions of our community who will not.  Perhaps due to language barrrier, or whatever else.  I wouldn't want them to be forced to pay for something that they aren't benefiting from.  I know we could say that they are benefiting even if they never listen to a single podcast, because it helps spread news, and promote bts, and that is of course true.  The same could be said for lots of other things though.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
When's the last time you were able to personally speak to Dan, outside of Beyond Bitcoins weekly Hangouts??? :P

priceless

Offline fuzzy

Where did you get that referral info from?  I did not realize that :)

Someone said something similar to me months ago. ;)

I expressed an opposing opinion at that time, which I still believe to be true, but recently I was enlightened and agree with that person's point of view.

Ninja edit : Or are you talking about the number of referrals for BB? I got that from the faucet scoreboard.

You said that we had many referrals so i was curious where this informatuon was gathered. 

As for everyone else, im simply waiting and listening.  Ill put feedback in here for questions asked specifically relating to the OP.  I want this to be a topic with depth of discussion as well so if you hate beyond bitcoin i think that is important input as well...so long as you point to WHY. :)

As for everyone else,  please continue discussion and know im not ignoring you.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
What you guys have done with Beyond Bitcoin is brilliant. The connection you've established between the community and the developers is nothing short of priceless. Your other endeavours to broaden the discourse and quality of information within the community is essential.

I wholeheartedly support the idea for you to build a worker proposal and I'd be very likely to support it.

Tuck Fheman

Someone said something similar to me months ago. ;)

I expressed an opposing opinion at that time, which I still believe to be true, but recently I was enlightened and agree with that person's point of view.

Ninja edit : Or are you talking about the number of referrals for BB? I got that from the faucet scoreboard.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:21:48 pm by Tuck Fheman »

38PTSWarrior

Off-topicy
I have this idea:A list of marketers with a picture and what they do on bitshares.org, and then the users can click on their favourite marketer to register their account.

So I could point everyone there and the new users would see that I am trustworthy because it  looks official and the newbies can see that we organize.

Offline fuzzy

the question is: what can you offer that cannot be covered by the affiliate system?

Can the affiliate system support the efforts of Communities like Beyond Bitcoin?

I don't think it will even come close initially and won't for some time down the road.

It is my personal opinion that the BitShares ecosystem will suffer from the loss of such Communities that will not be able to support themselves on referrals or without donations, which rarely come in as it is.

These sort of decentralized Community marketing efforts will not last long without others either donating, people working for nothing or a mass influx of new users choosing to signup at their website.

But what is the likelihood of this when the new users see's big businesses advertising and offering things these small decentralized Community efforts cannot possibly match?

IMHO, small decentralized Community efforts appear to be at a big disadvantage when it comes to drawing referrals.

Sure they can get their friends and their friends friends, but that will only sustain them for so long. Can they get a random web surfer before the big businesses does? Not likely.

Those are just my thoughts and concerns and the reason why I would vote for "non-coders" Worker Proposals if they are providing quality BitShares content, like Beyond Bitcoin.

And afaict on the web, Beyond Bitcoin has been the biggest marketer of BitShares.  Has that been reflected in the referral tally to date?

Nope. Not even near double digits from what I can tell.

:-\

I guess I'm just not able to see all the future users that are going to flock to BitShares on 10/13 and beyond to signup up via referral links. They don't exist, yet. But when they do, they will most likely choose to signup with some big business with shiny flashy gifs everywhere they go in crypto-land offering them "free xyz!" to signup with them, and that's cool. It's just why I don't think small Community efforts will be able to function for very long due to lack of referral funding.

So I'm basing all of this off of that premise.  Don't take it as anti-BitShares, I'd feel this way about any cryptocurrency after 3 years of letdowns by many others. I'm very jaded.   :-\

I see the Worker Proposal as a way to keep these kind of quality Community efforts funded.  +5%

[/soapbox]

Edit: Back on soapbox ...

And another thing, this is basically BitShares Radio we're talking about here!

Why would the BitShares Community not support a Worker Proposal for the only global Radio On the Internet show about BitShares??!!! 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:01:46 pm by fuzzy »

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I would like the referral program to be enough to support this but I don't see it happening that soon. And it's a shame because apart from the devs, this is one of the most valuable projects we have and the one which definitely deserves (on our current system) a delegate's spot.

It allows for anyone to participate if they want. We've been seeing +50/60 people per mumble lately. I don't think any other crypto has a something like a mumble with this much audience. Ethereum could get easily but I dont see them doing it. More importantly, it bring the community together. Everyone gets together at the time of the mumble to have a chat and talk about interesting stuff and the newest accomplishments. That gives us immense value as a community and a strong community can go far. In fact, it's precisely because we are a strong community that we were able to pass this through and get where we are at now.

On the other side, it hurts the numbers and people will vote this out. Possible solution: could you join in with DPOSHUB on the same worker proposal? It makes sense to get this together, create an even stronger brand and at the same time you would get more chances of getting in!

Tuck Fheman

the question is: what can you offer that cannot be covered by the affiliate system?

Can the affiliate system support the efforts of Communities like Beyond Bitcoin?

I don't think it will even come close initially and won't for some time down the road.

It is my personal opinion that the BitShares ecosystem will suffer from the loss of such Communities that will not be able to support themselves on referrals or without donations, which rarely come in as it is.

These sort of decentralized Community marketing efforts will not last long without others either donating, people working for nothing or a mass influx of new users choosing to signup at their website.

But what is the likelihood of this when the new users see's big businesses advertising and offering things these small decentralized Community efforts cannot possibly match?

IMHO, small decentralized Community efforts appear to be at a big disadvantage when it comes to drawing referrals.

Sure they can get their friends and their friends friends, but that will only sustain them for so long. Can they get a random web surfer before the big businesses does? Not likely.

Those are just my thoughts and concerns and the reason why I would vote for "non-coders" Worker Proposals if they are providing quality BitShares content, like Beyond Bitcoin.

And afaict on the web, Beyond Bitcoin has been the biggest marketer of BitShares.  Has that been reflected in the referral tally to date?

Nope. Not even near double digits from what I can tell.

:-\

I guess I'm just not able to see all the future users that are going to flock to BitShares on 10/13 and beyond to signup up via referral links. They don't exist, yet. But when they do, they will most likely choose to signup with some big business with shiny flashy gifs everywhere they go in crypto-land offering them "free xyz!" to signup with them, and that's cool. It's just why I don't think small Community efforts will be able to function for very long due to lack of referral funding.

So I'm basing all of this off of that premise.  Don't take it as anti-BitShares, I'd feel this way about any cryptocurrency after 3 years of letdowns by many others. I'm very jaded.   :-\

I see the Worker Proposal as a way to keep these kind of quality Community efforts funded.  +5%

[/soapbox]

Edit: Back on soapbox ...

And another thing, this is basically BitShares Radio we're talking about here!

Why would the BitShares Community not support a Worker Proposal for the only global Radio On the Internet show about BitShares??!!! 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:04:40 pm by Tuck Fheman »

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Every worker proposal should pass the litmus test:

Will this make BitShares deflationary sooner or later?

So I voted no.