Author Topic: My interview on XCP Weekly About the Entire Cryptocurrency Space  (Read 6372 times)

Offline phillyguy

Hi Charles - just wanted to say that I found your interview very insightful and it was a great listen. Thank you very much for taking the time for the interview.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

IOHKCharles

Fuzzy, I didn't mention Dan a single time here. His record and actions speak for themselves and the community with hold him accountable one way or the other. It's far beyond my concern. As for focusing on my vision, this whole interview covered it over an hour and a half. And with respect to my criticism of Bitshares, I believe it's completely fair given the incredible value proposition of the underlying technology and the problems it addresses, yet the small community and market participation.

You get a reset switch with Bitshares 2. Focus on what can be done better moving forward and how to avoid the mistakes of the past.

Offline fuzzy

The terribly tragedy of bitshares has always been it's inability to communicate, manage expectations, how money was spent and the inability to pivot quickly when proven wrong about something.

Considering this space is one where most rules and ways to move forward have not really been established, I tend to give a great deal of leeway to Dan and the team for how things have happened--(though admittedly sometimes I want to pull my hair out watching people like gentso walk away with 30k when I and the beyond bitcoin team never would have asked for such funding but would have ACTUALLY BUILT amazing stuff with it). 

Now as for bitshare's ability to communicate---I obviously have to disagree.  Why?  because if our means of communication was so bad, you would not be interested in using the platform we use to get your voice heard by the community.  The simple act of you being interested means (to me) that our communication channels are valuable.

Now with that said.  I can agree that many people have been paid retainers or given funding that I have seen very little out of.  I can also say that there is definitely an issue with many people who bust their butts for bitshares not being equally compensated...but that could be our fault as much as Dan's for not speaking up and being the squeaky wheel. 

As for an inability to acknowledge when proven wrong--I have to disagree with that as well (well somewhat).  There have been many times when BM has pivoted based on direct input from our community--in fact such close and frequent direct communication with the project leads is something most communities do not get at all.  Please though.  I think it is best to focus on what you are trying to do and YOUR message as opposed to what is wrong with Dan's.  You both have a right to disagree and I think it's good that you do (in an ironic kind of way :P), but my entire point for other projects sharing a very small portion of their stake with our community is to open their minds to listening to your message and further researching it.  So i'm more focused on that.  Of course you wouldn't have to, but I am strongly suggesting it and saying that it WILL put your project higher on my priority list.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:22:50 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
It's really enjoyable to hear you speak so eloquently about your crypto insights.  I just wish you'd stop saying that you built BitShares.  It's seems disingenuous because BitShares of the present is the result of a different direction to the one you wanted.....or so I gather from your discussion.  It also undermines, to some degree, the unbelievably hard work the dev team have put in to get the product to where it is today.  Perhaps, if you believe they deserve recognition from their peers in public, you could make that clear.  It would really help to me to concentrate more on what you are saying. 

I am still a great fan of yours Charles.  All the best.

Charles is a founding father of Bitshares. It counts even if Bitshares evolves into something entirely different in the future.

Honestly without Charles I doubt Bitshares would have had a successful beginning because he brought in a lot of the very early attention with his explanatory videos and media communications. Similar to what he did for Ethereum, so it is obvious he does have a positive impact on the projects he is associated with.

From my memory it was Dan, Stan and Charles in the very beginning. Stan and Charles brought in the community through the media while Dan debated with the community on forums, offered a bounty, and some at that time were doubting it was even possible. It's between them why they split up.

Someone else hasn't been around lately, CWEvans, still don't know what happened to him but my guess is he has moved on.
I didn't once refer to their parting of ways, thankfully that is history and they/we have all moved on.  I've said quite clearly how highly i think of Charles and his efforts.  My point was a small one but i thought important at the time.  It's all good.  Onward and upward.  Everyone is awesome and recognition will come to the BitShares devs in one form or another in time.  No need to dwell on my digression any further.  I believe there is an excellent summary of the state of crypto that is far more worthy of comment!

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
It's really enjoyable to hear you speak so eloquently about your crypto insights.  I just wish you'd stop saying that you built BitShares.  It's seems disingenuous because BitShares of the present is the result of a different direction to the one you wanted.....or so I gather from your discussion.  It also undermines, to some degree, the unbelievably hard work the dev team have put in to get the product to where it is today.  Perhaps, if you believe they deserve recognition from their peers in public, you could make that clear.  It would really help to me to concentrate more on what you are saying. 

I am still a great fan of yours Charles.  All the best.

Charles is a founding father of Bitshares. It counts even if Bitshares evolves into something entirely different in the future.

Honestly without Charles I doubt Bitshares would have had a successful beginning because he brought in a lot of the very early attention with his explanatory videos and media communications. Similar to what he did for Ethereum, so it is obvious he does have a positive impact on the projects he is associated with.

From my memory it was Dan, Stan and Charles in the very beginning. Stan and Charles brought in the community through the media while Dan debated with the community on forums, offered a bounty, and some at that time were doubting it was even possible. It's between them why they split up.

Someone else hasn't been around lately, CWEvans, still don't know what happened to him but my guess is he has moved on.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 08:34:48 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

IOHKCharles

i remember PTS was his idea

Stan and I jointly came up with PTS after examining the roadmap for Bitshares and talking with Bo Shin about the demand in China. Great ideas usually come together from collaboration. And I had a wonderful time working with Stan during my Invictus days. He's one of the best in the space.

Offline twitter

• View Profile
To be  fair , Charles did do lots of great work at the beginning of bitshares . i remember PTS was his idea . lot of community members ,like myself,  were attracted by  PTS mining  then found this great product.  Charles  is very good at selling ..... I met him couple times in eth meetings
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:42:15 am by twitter »
witness:

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Ben, I made a major contribution including sourcing the original funding and the original marketing push for bitshares, which makes me a founder of the project. Like Microsoft or every other company with founders who leave, a lot of people come after and certainty deserve their due, but Paul Allen still gets to say he started the company with Bill Gate even if most people didn't know that.

The point of the interview wasn't to discuss my role in Bitshares nor ethereum. I was just asked a simple question about my history in the space and I wanted to give a concise answer. You'll find there is about an hour and a half of content there on other stuff. Maybe you should focus on that.

I completely agree, without you, BitShares may never have come into being.  You've earned and deserve all of the attention and respect you receive from the crypto community.  Your contribution has been immense and is without question.  As i alreday said, i loved the discussion.  It just jarred a little when you mentioned BitShares in the context of building it and didn't mention anything about the people who've been building it since, and i'm sure you must know how hard they've worked.  Look, it's a small thing and on reflection, perhaps i needn't have said anything so I genuinely apologise.  I'm just amazed at what they've accomplished and i hope people recognise them too.  I hope you understand.

He really does not need to ben.  I am not exactly certain how much transpired but they did not get along.  Bitshares pays our worker proposals so I have no qualms bringing him on for a hangout, but I also think (for charles' benefit and the benefit of all developers and projects who want our communities attention) that they share a portion of the potentially competing project.  In this way it helps to even out any biases and get people more interested. 

That is of course unless there is some strong incentive for me to bring him on to help the bitshares platform in some way.

I have put a great deal into this project too, and did so at a time when it was desperately needed because of a void in community communication and participation.  So trust me i understand that you want to be heard by the community. 

I am simply trying to help you understand the value of dropping something on the audience (who dilute their holdings because they trust me to help bring value to bts) to show your respect and trust.  That will be very helpful.  And notice I have not asked you for personal payment...simply to stay in the spirit of the sharing economy we are trying to build.  :)

The hatchet has been buried so lets acknowledge it through sharing!

Fuzzy, you have been steadfast, forever. I think your work is amazing and any collaborations you help put together will be fantastic.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
That's fair Ben. A lot of people worked incredibly hard on bitshares and millions of dollars have been spent. And they should be acknowledged and respected for those investments. I do think the project has brought a lot of innovation and original thought into the space and that's something that should speak for itself.

The terribly tragedy of bitshares has always been it's inability to communicate, manage expectations, how money was spent and the inability to pivot quickly when proven wrong about something. It's honestly not my issue anymore and thus I mention the project and move on. I think your work speaks for itself and obviously I was shut out from having any involvement in it so it's uniquely yours. I am proud of what's been accomplished and I do hope for a long term success.
Thank you Charles. Thank you especially for that last sentence. I'm very proud of our devs and honoured to be even the tiniest part of this community. What you've said means an awful lot.

IOHKCharles

That's fair Ben. A lot of people worked incredibly hard on bitshares and millions of dollars have been spent. And they should be acknowledged and respected for those investments. I do think the project has brought a lot of innovation and original thought into the space and that's something that should speak for itself.

The terribly tragedy of bitshares has always been it's inability to communicate, manage expectations, how money was spent and the inability to pivot quickly when proven wrong about something. It's honestly not my issue anymore and thus I mention the project and move on. I think your work speaks for itself and obviously I was shut out from having any involvement in it so it's uniquely yours. I am proud of what's been accomplished and I do hope for a long term success.

Offline fuzzy

Ben, I made a major contribution including sourcing the original funding and the original marketing push for bitshares, which makes me a founder of the project. Like Microsoft or every other company with founders who leave, a lot of people come after and certainty deserve their due, but Paul Allen still gets to say he started the company with Bill Gate even if most people didn't know that.

The point of the interview wasn't to discuss my role in Bitshares nor ethereum. I was just asked a simple question about my history in the space and I wanted to give a concise answer. You'll find there is about an hour and a half of content there on other stuff. Maybe you should focus on that.

I completely agree, without you, BitShares may never have come into being.  You've earned and deserve all of the attention and respect you receive from the crypto community.  Your contribution has been immense and is without question.  As i alreday said, i loved the discussion.  It just jarred a little when you mentioned BitShares in the context of building it and didn't mention anything about the people who've been building it since, and i'm sure you must know how hard they've worked.  Look, it's a small thing and on reflection, perhaps i needn't have said anything so I genuinely apologise.  I'm just amazed at what they've accomplished and i hope people recognise them too.  I hope you understand.

He really does not need to ben.  I am not exactly certain how much transpired but they did not get along.  Bitshares pays our worker proposals so I have no qualms bringing him on for a hangout, but I also think (for charles' benefit and the benefit of all developers and projects who want our communities attention) that they share a portion of the potentially competing project.  In this way it helps to even out any biases and get people more interested. 

That is of course unless there is some strong incentive for me to bring him on to help the bitshares platform in some way.

I have put a great deal into this project too, and did so at a time when it was desperately needed because of a void in community communication and participation.  So trust me i understand that you want to be heard by the community. 

I am simply trying to help you understand the value of dropping something on the audience (who dilute their holdings because they trust me to help bring value to bts) to show your respect and trust.  That will be very helpful.  And notice I have not asked you for personal payment...simply to stay in the spirit of the sharing economy we are trying to build.  :)

The hatchet has been buried so lets acknowledge it through sharing!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:38:57 pm by fuzzy »
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
My god that was an awesome interview... I completely agree with you on everything.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

IOHKCharles

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Enjoy https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/xcp-update-10-11-15-charles-hoskinson-talks-blockchain

Nice interview. I learned about Hawk which is something maybe Bitshares could implement.
+5%

I am not guaranteeing anything, but I am trying to talk Charles into potentially holding hangouts for his project and distributing a token to attendees to work as a sharedrop token for his future work. 

Would people be interested in this if he were to accept?
would be greatly appreciated  +5%