Author Topic: "if you clear your browser cache your wallet gets deleted"  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
For the more technical people can we start a list of positives and negatives of each wallet type?  This should help new comers not get screwed.

Hosted Wallets (Ease of access, don't delete cache before backup etc...)
Positive/Negatives

Lite Wallets (IE, do they save the wallet locally, where do they connect to, etc...)
Positives/Negatives

Full Wallet (I believe these will be available at some point?)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
I had the little notice in the corner in red saying to backup.. so I did.. I was surprised to see it spit out the same file I and imported that was originally from the 0.9.3c client with the wallet_export_keys.

@DataSecurityNode +5%

Hey @xeroc is it safe to use your paper wallet stuff with 2.0?
https://delegate.xeroc.org/paperwallet.html

I've been kinda leery of web wallets so I want to make sure I thin my wallet accounts out a little and start using cold storage and paper savings accounts, make some for my kids, etc.

Thanx :)
 ken
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
Fixing that should have a high priority because it could nto end well in terms of puublic perception

Offline monsterer

What's the reason this wasn't designed like NXT's brain wallet? That would have fixed all the problems with stuff like this.
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
It would be good to require a backup after import and new account creation.  A nice big pop-up that that forces you to either save a backup, or enter your password to decline. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline svk

I've been saying the wallet gets saved in an IndexedDB but looks like that's wrong, it's in the WebSQL database now. I just tested at OpenLedger and these settings were safe (meaning my wallet did not get deleted)!

Checking the WebSQL box however got my wallet deleted. To be sure I'd also not delete the IndexedDB, it might be using WebSQL due to a shim (fallback when IndexedDB is not available in the browser)
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
This is a huge deal if this is the way it works.  Security is important, but I'm willing to bet the number one way to lose funds is through operator mistake.  In my opinion, preventing the user from losing their own funds is THE most important security issue.
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
Dont put large money on a web site without a backup.. Its not floating on the chain due to performance.. If you backup you can save your wallet... Luckily clearing cache is pretty hard to do by mistake.

Its a feature for me because inwouldnt want my keys being sent to some cloud storage.

I clear my browsing history and cache when I close my browser.  This is very easy to do by mistake.  It is a simple setting in Firefox.  Do I need to export my wallet after every transaction?
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Dont put large money on a web site without a backup.. Its not floating on the chain due to performance.. If you backup you can save your wallet... Luckily clearing cache is pretty hard to do by mistake.

Its a feature for me because inwouldnt want my keys being sent to some cloud storage.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I had the little notice in the corner in red saying to backup.. so I did.. I was surprised to see it spit out the same file I and imported that was originally from the 0.9.3c client with the wallet_export_keys.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Tuck Fheman

Using a hosted wallet is the least secure option [requiring the most trust of third parties,] but it’s not so bad assuming the server doesn’t get hacked and its JavaScript changed to try to steal keys. If the server were hacked you’re only vulnerable if you visit the server and log in while it’s compromised. Only active users during the time of the attack are [vulnerable]. {Sound cuts out here.} Of the three, I’d say your biggest risk with using a hosted web wallet is that if you clear your browser cache your wallet gets deleted. If you don’t have a backup of your wallet and you clear your cache you’re SOL, [shit out of luck]. That’s one of the big motivators for having the light version and the full desktop version. To make sure that you can clear your bowser cache without risking your wallet. It seems there are a lot of people who recommended clearing the browser cache suggesting everything will be fine. This isn’t safe if you have $100,000 worth of BitShares floating around in your wallet. It’d be a very sad day.

Can someone expand on this or tell us if this is the case still? This was from 9/25 so it wasn't all that long ago.

This is scary to read (again). I'd forgotten this and am glad I just came across it because I have a program that clears my cache daily.  :-\

How do you backup the web wallet?  Is there an option in the Dashboard?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:37:42 am by Tuck Fheman »