Author Topic: Witness participation: 61%  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Thom

I believe the following witnesses are on the minority fork and need to --replay-blockchain:

bts-bitshares-argentina
bue
cyrano
delegate-1.lafona
elmato
fox
mr.agsexplorer
roadscape
triox-delegate
xeldal

The operators of these witnesses have done nothing wrong.  We managed to capture the event which caused the split, and we should be able to debug the issue.

EDIT:  bts-bitshares-argentina went down ~10 minutes after the fork, and roadscape was down for a while before the fork.
Can we please discuss why bts1 delegates that have not upgraded and still sign blocks in bts1 are active witnesses in bts2??? That makes no sense to me at all

Agreed..this deserves explanation.  +5%

That's easy. The core team is focused on code, backend code specifically, not "trivial little details" like consistency and planning. I've been saying for months now we should be more systematic with the way things are dealt with as release time approached. I kindof gave up on it in July. Cryptonomex is not too keen on developing a comprehensive plan that they disclose and enlist the community to help implement. I don't know what Bytemaster was thinking in terms of who he voted into the witness slots. I suspect he just wanted to make sure there were enough quality witnesses for a viable / reliable launch, vote anyone in that asks, and let the community weed out those who don't prove worthy of the role. After all, it IS up to the community to take responsibility for such things. Will we demonstrate our responsibility? Can we? Or must we rely on the small number of whales like BM to steer the ship in these matters. It's still early, so there's plenty of room for optimism.

DSN, I'm glad to see your continued interest in watching over the witnesses. Don't know how long it will take before we can enjoy infrastructure tools like BitSharesBlocks, as the block explorer in the web wallet is not nearly as comprehensive. I'm hoping your dposhub will provide a good source of info about the ecosystem, but it looks like that effort won't be ready for release anytime soon from what I just saw of it. Truth is it would have made for a much better launch is these projects could have been coordinated.  Can't say I didn't see this coming tho.

Issues like this should have been dealt with through many discussions, delegate / witness / worker campaigns, metrics merits, means of accountability etc. But no. Lets just build the tech and let the community figure out of that after it gets rolled out. No real planning, just ad hoc activities where various issues get thrashed about and [eventually] settled. A totally unsystematic and rather disorganized approach from what I observe. Surprising for a bunch of world-class engineers.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

I believe the following witnesses are on the minority fork and need to --replay-blockchain:

bts-bitshares-argentina
bue
cyrano
delegate-1.lafona
elmato
fox
mr.agsexplorer
roadscape
triox-delegate
xeldal

The operators of these witnesses have done nothing wrong.  We managed to capture the event which caused the split, and we should be able to debug the issue.

EDIT:  bts-bitshares-argentina went down ~10 minutes after the fork, and roadscape was down for a while before the fork.
Can we please discuss why bts1 delegates that have not upgraded and still sign blocks in bts1 are active witnesses in bts2??? That makes no sense to me at all

Agreed..this deserves explanation.  +5%
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Thom

back over 66%.  Were safe for now

Clayop are you on the telegram chat?

Nope, because my telegram is under a kind of surveillance (by my wife lol)

You should join our telegram chat, it helps you to keep up2date with the latest happenings and news, and also in emergency cases like this you get notified quicker, including getting pms from a bot that monitors all of our witnesses.  I recommend that all witnesses communicate with each other, and this is happening in the telegram channel right now.

I asked wackou to submit verbaltech2 to Telegram on my behalf b/c I can't seem to get registered on it. I'm trying on my android phone. Installed the app, but as soon as it sends the reg code the "enter the SMS code" form disapears and asks for my name before I can enter the code. I managed to keep it on the enter code screen once or twice, but it always said "invalid code".

Until wackou and I can get the bts_tools monitor updated for graphene spartako's bot is the only good option. I would like to use it, but just can't seem to atm.

Just enter your name.  The app is automatically getting the code from the sms

OK, I can accept that it nabs the code directly, but then on the name form (only asks for first & last name with last name optional) after I enter a name and tap NEXT, all it does is toggle the blue underline between the first and last name. There are no error messages or clues given on how to proceed. On the top in blue it says Your name, to the right of that is a check character, like "the name you entered is OK"  What kind of UI is this? Well Thom, it's typical Android UI. Just tap the check mark, not the NEXT button, that would be too easy, too obvious. No, we got to make you WORK for our app, a little mini "test" to prove you are worthy. I may be slow but I finally got it. Problem solved.

I wonder where these "modern" UI designers get their idea of what makes a UI easy to use. Take Micr$oft and the silly things they did on Windows 8.0 that prompted them to release 8.1 shortly afterward to provide visual clues to the "charms" menu in upper right corner, or release in Windows 10 that seems to have mostly done away with the practice of making users guess what to do. The majority of people around here don't like Windows 8 / 8.1. I'm one of them, tho I've figured out most of it's UI quirks now. If I have to use Wondoze I prefer 7 over 10, 10 over 8.x. My preferred desktop in order of preference is Linux Mint, Gnome 3, (Debian 8 or OpenSuSE), Mac OSX Snow Leopard, Windows 7, Windows 10.
[ / r a n t]
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline lafona

• View Profile
  • BitShares: lafona
Is there a way to replay the blockchain from the cli interface or is that option only available when launching the witness binary? I would like to add it to my fail over script to reduce the need for manual intervention in the future. Thanks

Pretty sure you have to re launch .  I wrote another script that watches the witness participation and relaunches if it falls below 50%. 

Ok, I'll setup something similar then. Thanks
BTS Witnesses: delegate-1.lafona     Witness Thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21569.msg280911/topicseen.html#msg280911
MUSE Witness: lafona

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
Is there a way to replay the blockchain from the cli interface or is that option only available when launching the witness binary? I would like to add it to my fail over script to reduce the need for manual intervention in the future. Thanks

Pretty sure you have to re launch .  I wrote another script that watches the witness participation and relaunches if it falls below 50%. 

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lafona

• View Profile
  • BitShares: lafona
BTS Witnesses: delegate-1.lafona     Witness Thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21569.msg280911/topicseen.html#msg280911
MUSE Witness: lafona

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

bts-bitshares-argentina
bue
cyrano
delegate-1.lafona
elmato
fox
mr.agsexplorer
roadscape
triox-delegate
xeldal

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

You should join our telegram chat, it helps you to keep up2date with the latest happenings and news, and also in emergency cases like this you get notified quicker, including getting pms from a bot that monitors all of our witnesses.  I recommend that all witnesses communicate with each other, and this is happening in the telegram channel right now.

I asked wackou to submit verbaltech2 to Telegram on my behalf b/c I can't seem to get registered on it. I'm trying on my android phone. Installed the app, but as soon as it sends the reg code the "enter the SMS code" form disapears and asks for my name before I can enter the code. I managed to keep it on the enter code screen once or twice, but it always said "invalid code".

Until wackou and I can get the bts_tools monitor updated for graphene spartako's bot is the only good option. I would like to use it, but just can't seem to atm.

Just enter your name.  The app is automatically getting the code from the sms
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline betax

• View Profile
Hi,

After resync this is my object database and chain, it is only 20 mb after heavily compressed. It may help you.

https://mega.nz/#!3gRAiaBB!stuaZusV6Mh9Ou3Ju8nnpsqrDYok5zbPxIHqkyK6EtQ

Offline Thom

Offline betax

• View Profile
I am chasing there any forked object database

Offline mindphlux

• View Profile

Please consider voting for my witness mindphlux.witness and my committee user mindphlux. I will not vote for changes that affect witness pay.

Offline theoretical

@betax It doesn't matter who sends it as long as we have a copy to analyze
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline theoretical

@betax : Yes, just zip your datadir and PM me a link (I see from your post history that you know how to upload a file and give someone a link)
BTS- theoretical / PTS- PZxpdC8RqWsdU3pVJeobZY7JFKVPfNpy5z / BTC- 1NfGejohzoVGffAD1CnCRgo9vApjCU2viY / the delegate formerly known as drltc / Nothing said on these forums is intended to be legally binding / All opinions are my own unless otherwise noted / Take action due to my posts at your own risk

Offline betax

• View Profile
liondani was also in a fork, i asked him to keep it.