Author Topic: Feature Request: Trading of Assets via smart contracts  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
What would need to be done in order to implement this?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline knircky

• View Profile
Hello,

here is a way that would make me dump a lot of value into this eco system.

One of the things i like about bitcoin is the flexibility it provides when it comes to trading it. I have an account at trade wave that lets me buy and sell bitcoin according to a strategy i can define myself.

So if i want to define a strategy that:

a) buys an asset when price is above a certain Moving Average (MA)
b) sells the asset when the price is below the MA

Now this is just an example and you can define any strategy and use the APIs of exchanges to trigger the sells.

This is all nice and sweet and demonstration of the power of bitcoin.

What i would really like to do however is apply this to our existing markets. In order words i would like to have a way to go long on the DJI and short depending on such an automated strategy.

In order for this to work with bitshares we need two things:

1) we need assets that track these assets (i.e. DJI)
2) we need a way to automatically buy sell or go long and short on these assets.

Ideally i would envision 2) to be some sort of smart contract feature in bitshares, alternatively it could be handled via APIs and trusting 3rd party apps to do the work.

This would be in my opinion really valuable to think about because it could actually give people who could not care less about crypto a reason to dumb a whole lot of value into the space.

As an example I am a big fan of bitshares, but i am hesitant to dumb a whole lot of value into it. I have a bunch of value in bitcoin, but it is protected via these trading strategies (essentially i am banking on the volatility of bitcoin)

For me in order for value to flow into the bitshares space we need applications that are useful for the mass market. This trading/investment application could be one application i could imagine to provide that reason to bring money over into bitshares. Of course there are other application opportunities.

I look forward what bitshares will bring in the future.