Author Topic: Identifying BitShares' Monsters. (Phase I)  (Read 8604 times)

Offline monsterer

Here's my list:

* Reputation/trust + anonymity do not mix
* Bitasset market designed to trade at a premium instead of at parity is a poor design
* Bond market has no blockchain triggered margin calls
* 3s blocks with no pruning is waste of disk space and leads to centralisation
* $0.40 / transaction means no microtransactions
* Lack of proper testing results in loss of confidence / market cap
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
If you could pick 3 of the monsters that most plague bts' growth and adoption, what would they be?

1. Perception.
2. Adoption.
3. Utility.

Those 3 are the over arching goals of any crypto... I think we may need to start smaller and level up before we try to take on one of those beasts.

1.  Convince a 2nd exchange to join open ledger
2.  Get nano-card working
3.  Get the attention of a non-crypto community

and improve the GUI to be more polished and completely finished. Also, easy to use.
I see many newbies asking questions on how to use it. It should be easy and intuitive.

Offline fuzzy

Here's a big one: fix the 1.0 - 2.0 migration problem: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,19194.msg246592.html#msg246592

Elsewhere I saw it suggested that an EXE / binary be put together for the sole purpose of creating a standalone backup.json file that can be imported into the web wallet gui and contain ALL accounts and their balances in one easy step.

However, the problem is that even with such a tool for some the process will be VERY time consuming for those with lots of accounts and / or lots of keys in the accounts.

This is a big monster that impacts many people and needs to be slain. I myself have not got all of my balances migrated. I also need to reclaim my accounts, which are nothing more than empty shells right now.

I agree 100% thom.  100%.  I posted a thread to get people to vote to have a group of our community members to volunteer on a calendar to be available to help people through the process in the interim. Noone seems that interested in voting..other than cube, myself and one other.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Thom

Here's a big one: fix the 1.0 - 2.0 migration problem: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,19194.msg246592.html#msg246592

Elsewhere I saw it suggested that an EXE / binary be put together for the sole purpose of creating a standalone backup.json file that can be imported into the web wallet gui and contain ALL accounts and their balances in one easy step.

However, the problem is that even with such a tool for some the process will be VERY time consuming for those with lots of accounts and / or lots of keys in the accounts.

This is a big monster that impacts many people and needs to be slain. I myself have not got all of my balances migrated. I also need to reclaim my accounts, which are nothing more than empty shells right now.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline karnal

• View Profile
- Market history working.
- Gateways for EUR/BitEUR, CNY/BitCNY, USD/BitUSD, at the very least.
- Fix BTC/LTC gateways not generating an address (web wallet)
- Confidential transactions fully supported (gui)

Tuck Fheman

If you could pick 3 of the monsters that most plague bts' growth and adoption, what would they be?

1. Perception - Make BitShares fun.
2. Adoption - Make it easy to spread around and make people want to spread it around. We need a tipbot for the web/mumble/etc.
3. Utility - A tipbot would help with this, gaming sites (where's my BitShares Grenade game or spin the wheel for BTS?), etc.

Offline fuzzy

1. Perception.
2. Adoption.
3. Utility.

I would say these are great high level monsters. There are things that impact all three, like documentation. Face it, BitShares is a very complex ecosystem and we need explainer videos and technical docs to give both technologists and users the information they need to build on and use what CNX has had the vision to produce. As an author I need docs to provide the raw material from which I can explain what BitShares is all about.

This thread is strictly for gathering monsters.  The level and attributes of these monsters are NOT YET defined.  This is only phase one...where our fellow crypto adventurers simply track down the monsters and list them. 

There will be other phases where we will define those attributes, prepare and attack them...

And remember...bm just let me manage a sufficient stream of dkp (brownies).  I only know how to do one thing with dkp--move communities. One never knows when brownie quests will be given to our motley band of travelers. :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:33:06 pm by fuzzy »

Xeldal

Fix the export / import process
-Not only is it painful to get a working 1.0 export, its doubly frustrating getting that to import into the new system.   There's 10 different ways to do it with information spread all over the place and NONE of them work properly.

For non technical people this process is currently next to impossible, even if you have all the proper information to do it.

Build an executable that has 1 function

1. import a keys.json file and balances and produce a single 2.0 backup.json (not 10 TB worth of backups like we have now)

This backup has to actually WORK, everywhere, whether its a full, light, or web wallet

Offline Thom

1. Perception.
2. Adoption.
3. Utility.

I would say these are great high level monsters. There are things that impact all three, like documentation. Face it, BitShares is a very complex ecosystem and we need explainer videos and technical docs to give both technologists and users the information they need to build on and use what CNX has had the vision to produce. As an author I need docs to provide the raw material from which I can explain what BitShares is all about.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline edilliam

1: Improved wallet UX
2: Letting everyone use the referral system, not just OpenLedger
3: Better PR (Pro-active emailing of exchanges, announcement graphics, short info/explanation videos/sites etc)

Tuck Fheman

Those 3 are the over arching goals of any crypto...

... that BitShares still hasn't solved.  ;)

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

1. Perception.
2. Adoption.
3. Utility.

Those 3 are the over arching goals of any crypto... I think we may need to start smaller and level up before we try to take on one of those beasts.

1.  Convince a 2nd exchange to join open ledger
2.  Get nano-card working
3.  Get the attention of a non-crypto community

Tuck Fheman

1. Perception.
2. Adoption.
3. Utility.

Offline fuzzy

From time to time it is good to look at where we are and identify what is required to make bts the best it can be.  Having a few focal points of established roadblocks that require our utmost attention, is imperative to most effectively help the dev team and community press forward in assuring bts remains in its rightful place.

This community is very active, but are we focusing our efforts and working together to work on the highest priority issues?  I call these issued bitshares' monsters.  And id like to form Raids of people to slay them...and pay them for leading and/or attending these raids. 

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 03:56:24 pm by fuzzy »