Author Topic: Would an economic crisis benefit BTS?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
Only if market pegged assets are still functioning in external world.. If usd exists then yes
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
I'm sure most on here follow markets in one way or another and have no doubt seen some of the alarming reports on the state of the macroeconomy. Skipping past the 'ifs' and 'how', for the sake of argument lets say there is a crash and rampant deflation ensues.

Most would agree, this scenario would benefit Bitcoin greatly as it is seen as a store of value independent of fiat currencies. But, would Bitshares benefit similarly?

Sure.  As follows: 

Smart money flees to Bitcoin because it is best known.
People then become aware of crypto alternatives.
Smarter money upgrades to BitShares to obtain a wider variety of services and better performance.

:)

From a different thread, but would help us appeal to the masses looking for safety in the event of a downturn. Worth considering dont you think ...

"If you're a trader you want/need the graphs and get off on all the analytical tools and blurb. But if I want to get out of worthless US$ and own things like oil, gold, silver or swiss francs I would just like to be able to do that as easy as possible without trying to understand what the Ask price is or what the graph is supposed to be showing. Bottom line: The price of gold is $1200.. here's $2400 and I now own 2 ounces of gold without any liability.

.... Are you asking for something like "Convert" button? Such that you could specify a currency which you have, an asset which you want and the amount and the system would go ahead and buy that asset for you at a market price? Such button would be useful indeed."

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
PS:  The Cyprus domino is fallen, is fallen...
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
It depends on if it provides the utility people need.  If that were to happen people would have to evaluate whether they'd get more utility out of their national currency or the alternative.  If the national currency loses 50% of its value but they can still use it to buy things, they'll probably stick with that.  An alternative value-store doesn't serve the utility need if no one will accept it.  So the focus should be on providing utility to customers.

The main use will be preservation of capital, not alternative spending power.
If the whole world goes down at once, (as it might) then there may or may not be any utility.

(Receipts for gallons of gas served as currency in Argentina a couple of decades ago, for example, so it could be a Godsend if the network stays up.)

But as a minimum, serving as a way to teleport out of the way if the dominoes start falling one by one,  oh, yeah... as long as there are off ramps many dominoes further down stream.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:49:59 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline clemahieu

• View Profile
    • RaiBlocks
It depends on if it provides the utility people need.  If that were to happen people would have to evaluate whether they'd get more utility out of their national currency or the alternative.  If the national currency loses 50% of its value but they can still use it to buy things, they'll probably stick with that.  An alternative value-store doesn't serve the utility need if no one will accept it.  So the focus should be on providing utility to customers.
RaiBlocks - Instant confirmation, no fees. https://raiblocks.net/

Tuck Fheman

Sure.  As follows: 

Smarter money upgrades to BitShares to obtain a wider variety of services and better performance.

+5%

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Would an economic crisis benefit BTS?

No. Economic crisis benefits only a bunch of corruptionists who create it.

Plot twist: Southolland actually has the means to create an ecomonic crisis.

I believe not, atm. Not to BitShares only but the whole cryptoscene right now, including Bitcoin. Maybe in a few years. 5-10
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Would an economic crisis benefit BTS?

No. Economic crisis benefits only a bunch of corruptionists who create it.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
I'm sure most on here follow markets in one way or another and have no doubt seen some of the alarming reports on the state of the macroeconomy. Skipping past the 'ifs' and 'how', for the sake of argument lets say there is a crash and rampant deflation ensues.

Most would agree, this scenario would benefit Bitcoin greatly as it is seen as a store of value independent of fiat currencies. But, would Bitshares benefit similarly?

Sure.  As follows: 

Offline Southolland

• View Profile