Author Topic: Are 2.0 wallets deterministic when claiming keys?  (Read 1659 times)

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Newly created keys are deterministic.  The old brain keys are not compatible so you need to save your backups...  Improvements to this process is in progress.

Thanks, so when a 1.0 balance is imported, is it transfered to a new address created from that deterministic wallet key? It then shouldnt matter if the wallet backup was made pre or post importing of the 1.0 keys.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:15:45 pm by speedy »

Offline jamesc

When keys are imported and claimed, their ownership goes to a new address which is derived from the wallet key (as I understand). So can those private keys be re-generated deterministically from the wallet key? Or after every address import do we have to make a new backup?

Thats what these docs seem to imply:

After importing your accounts and balances, we recommend to make a new backup of your wallet that will then contain access to your newly imported accounts and corresponding balances.

If thats the case then the docs should be more explicit. I wonder if this is where I messed up...

Newly created keys are deterministic.  The old brain keys are not compatible so you need to save your backups...  Improvements to this process is in progress.

Offline sittingduck

• View Profile
If you importers bts 1 account then the keys didn't change. 

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
When keys are imported and claimed, their ownership goes to a new address which is derived from the wallet key (as I understand). So can those private keys be re-generated deterministically from the wallet key? Or after every address import do we have to make a new backup?

Thats what these docs seem to imply:

After importing your accounts and balances, we recommend to make a new backup of your wallet that will then contain access to your newly imported accounts and corresponding balances.

If thats the case then the docs should be more explicit. I wonder if this is where I messed up...