Author Topic: Who are (or who could be) the powerusers of Bitshares?  (Read 4032 times)

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
There's obviously a market for being able to keep, send, spend millions of USD/other privately all around the world in seconds outside the existing banking system. So in terms of BitShares power users. I would just continue focusing on being able to offer private, liquid, easy to use BitUSD, BitCNY and BitGold with easy off-ramps. Switzerland was built off the back of private banking & BTS will have the ability to offer Switzerland on the  blockchain.

Uphold (formerly BitReserve) is supposedly the fastest growing money platform in the world atm through it's offering of centralized BitAssets accessible via Bitcoin. Despite their questionable structure, NuBits volume at times is also promising. So I'm confident the BitAsset market leader will be huge in a few years (though I still think it like Bitcoin may gain initial traction through gambling use cases.)

EXACTLY THIS ^^ for those of us who want to simply bank and save.
One of the reasons BITRESERVE is fastest growing is because the interface is easy to understand and use. If i want to use it as a bank its easy.

I would really love someone who is technical enough to create a new wallet that is as professional looking and as easy to use as bitreserve and i'm sure we would gain traction.
My 2 cents.

TravelsAsia

The power users for bitshares are altcoin traders.
Altcoin traders like poloniex and it doesn't matter if altcoin traders like it for irrational reasons, they just like it.
Longer term bitshares market maybe forex trading but for now we should target altcoin traders directly.

This means copying exactly what poloniex do.

we need a normal login like they have.
we need 2fa like they have.
we need a fee structure like they have.
we need a GUI like them with a troll box

+5%

1. What JonnyBitcoin said above. Let's get one piece polished so we can start attracting interest from others already in the trading community. 
2. Trade items specific to BitShares that BM mentioned in the latest Mumble such as gasoline.
3. Basket of alt coins. If there was a way to group the prices of something like the top 10 alt coins into an asset and have it traded, it would give those traders something unique to come to the Bitshares network.
3. Stealth transfers

This might not be a popular opinion, but I don't believe we're even close to attracting people outside the immediate alt/Bitcoin community until the top 4 at the very least are handled.  I also don't see any immediate need for items like transfers between wallets without simple to use on/off ramps.  Bitshares is so difficult to understand even by the people that are into the crypto currency area, I think it's pie in the sky to think anyone outside of that is going to latch on any time soon. Projects such as Peertracks and maybe Play if they ever update are better projects to expose the power to BitShares outside the immediate trading community.

4. Prediction market - Augur like

Take a look at Empircal1.2's post above about the gambling market. I missed out n the Augur sale, I would like to see the Prediction market crowd funded.  I'd like a piece of all future prediction bets.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:33:25 pm by TravelsAsia »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Needs a really simple BTC -> USD gateway that funds their bitUSD at the Coinbase rate (with maybe a $0.25 fee for the conversion).
??? BTC -> bitUSD gateway? Nah, .. better shoot for the moon: bitUSD:USD ;)

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
  • GitHub: wmbutler
Peer to peer exchange of money with a mobile web wallet. Essentially friends reimbursing friends for movie tix, meals, etc. This is very targeted and has viral potential. Think of it as a substitute for Venmo, Cash, Paypal and others.

Needs a really simple BTC -> USD gateway that funds their bitUSD at the Coinbase rate (with maybe a $0.25 fee for the conversion).
PTS: PnBVP1iLTsV6U8z4BeJYhF8jMpkLhtTi9r
BTS2.0: billbutler
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
In his book Zero to One Peter Thiel gives one advice that might be useful for Bitshares: start small and monopolize.

This means that a startup business should try to find a small audience that it can serve really well. Paypal did this with eBay powersellers – people who were selling lots of stuff on eBay. After three months of dedicated effort, 25 % of them were Paypal users. Before Paypal the payment processing of eBay deals was really a pain in the ass, so it made a big difference and it wasn't that hard to acquire new active users. Of course, when the sellers were using Paypal, also the buyers started to use it.

Can we find the poweruser group for Bitshares? Are there people who would greatly benefit from our services? If we find that group, devs should let them be the top priority for a while. After we have the initial traction, we can start to scale up and concentrate on other users/markets.

Actually PayPal apparently cheated it's way to those power users by tricking them into thinking a lot of buyers wanted to use PayPal.

In the book, Paypal Wars, Eric M. Jackson talks about how PayPal grew a base of sellers who accepted PayPal by creating demand for the service among buyers. When Paypal figured that eBay was their key distribution platform, they came up with an ingenious plan to simulate demand. They created a bot that bought goods on eBay and then, insisted on paying for it using PayPal. Not only did sellers come to know about the service, they rushed onto it as it already seemed to be getting popular. The fact that it was way better than every other payment mechanism on eBay only helped repeated usage.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140524020851-6170480-how-paypal-and-reddit-faked-their-way-to-traction?forceNoSplash=true

As far as DACs go, they're an incredibly sub-optimal way to run a business. Their major advantage is how hard they are to shut down and sieze. So while there are a few promising areas, you really want to offer products and services some people would rather you didn't. The alternative is spending a fortune on development to recreate what often trusted and legal centralised options already offer & so having to compete against them on price.

No. 1 for me has always been gambling. You'll see in that article it also talks about how hard it is to gain traction in a two way platform (one that requires you to attract buyers and sellers) whereas with gambling, the blockchain is the house and only requires that you attract punters.

Given how huge a market gambling is, how many have online restrictions & a blockchains ability to vastly undercut margins in that area, be provably fair, private and safe. It's a no brainer that the first DAC billionaires will be created on the back of gambling.

(Augur will be taking a 5-10% sports betting cost and drop it to 1%. Centralized Lotteries which take up to 50% can be reduced to 1%. Centralized Poker sites which charge 5% which can be reduced to 1%.  Dice and other games of chance can be reduced to fractions of percent too. Roulette will go from 3% to a fraction of a percent too etc.) 

I still think crypto-currency itself can be improved on as through the use of revenue sharing models, referral programmes & profits even a crypto-currency can attract users and have a rocked out blockchain with BitAssets and other great innovations. I still think BTSX was on track to rapidly become a billion dollar crypto-currency. I must say elements of POW have grown on me though after detesting it for two years as I appreciate that coin holders want to be passive not active which DPOS and POS require & established POW coins would have great trouble ever changing their supply structure which is good as like BTSX that is what forms the backbone of their valuations. (Even DAC's, like BTS,  primarily because of lack of legal fallback, convulse around issues pertaining to creation and distribution of shares and so prefer certainty in this area far more than their centralized counterparts.)

There's obviously a market for being able to keep, send, spend millions of USD/other privately all around the world in seconds outside the existing banking system. So in terms of BitShares power users. I would just continue focusing on being able to offer private, liquid, easy to use BitUSD, BitCNY and BitGold with easy off-ramps. Switzerland was built off the back of private banking & BTS will have the ability to offer Switzerland on the  blockchain.

Uphold (formerly BitReserve) is supposedly the fastest growing money platform in the world atm through it's offering of centralized BitAssets accessible via Bitcoin. Despite their questionable structure, NuBits volume at times is also promising. So I'm confident the BitAsset market leader will be huge in a few years (though I still think it like Bitcoin may gain initial traction through gambling use cases.)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 03:29:49 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
In the last hangout Bytemaster spoke about really simple but powerful idea that fits well in the poweruser-thinking: We should create markets that exists only in Bitshares.

Here have been suggestions that traders are our powerusers, but we haven't seen ideas how to actually make our exchange so essential that we can monopolize some part of the trading business. But of course, if some market exists only in Bitshares, traders don't have any other option than to trade in our exchange. This is really straightforward way to monopolize a market.

Fee Backed Assets (FBA) are one promising category. 

Where else can you own a feature and then drive traffic to that feature?    It would seem like there are tons of opportunities to implement microbusinesses.

Previously, if you wanted to be an entrepreneur you had to build a whole company.

I'd love to see someone compile a list of ideas for micro-businesses that can be implemented in a month or so and provide a tradable income stream forever.

Software as a Service (SaaS) might evolve into Features as a Service (FaaS).
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
In the last hangout Bytemaster spoke about really simple but powerful idea that fits well in the poweruser-thinking: We should create markets that exists only in Bitshares.

Here have been suggestions that traders are our powerusers, but we haven't seen ideas how to actually make our exchange so essential that we can monopolize some part of the trading business. But of course, if some market exists only in Bitshares, traders don't have any other option than to trade in our exchange. This is really straightforward way to monopolize a market.

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
One possible market segment: people who appreciate financial privacy.

We already have the basic tool, stealth transfers. But usability is still far from good and that's why nobody is using it.

My suggestion is that stealth transfers should be implemented in the GUI in a way that even total newbies understand how it works. Now that we already have this on the command line level this shouldn't be super difficult to achieve, right?

After the user experience is polished, this would require some marketing efforts to make clear what our system can offer. But how-to articles and videos shouldn't be that difficult to make so in my view this is quite easy way to reach out for potential customers.

This might be a good opportunity for somebody to make a wallet designed especially for stealth trasfers and earn some referral income.

Requirements:
- enough liquidity for smartcoins so people don't have to use BTS because it's so volatile
- anything else?

Remember: the goal is to monopolize a small market by offering so good service that potential users don't even consider the competitors.

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
I honestly don't think that traders should be our primary target audience at this point in time.
We need traders as strategic partners, because without them we have no liquidity and thus no product to sell.
So yes, they should be one of our primary targets (the other one being merchants).
Everyone else, who is not a trader or a merchant, is not really relevant at this stage.

Entrepreneurs

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
Altcoin traders like poloniex and it doesn't matter if altcoin traders like it for irrational reasons, they just like it.
Longer term bitshares market maybe forex trading but for now we should target altcoin traders directly.

The point is that we shouldn't just copy what some/everybody else is doing but to do something so much better that we can basically monopolize a certain market segment.

What will be our advantage if we copy Polo? What makes altcoin traders to leave Polo and to change to our DEX?

Bond market much needed here. 

Who will use it and for what?

Offline topcandle

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

+5%
... would be a good start

jakub

I honestly don't think that traders should be our primary target audience at this point in time.
We need traders as strategic partners, because without them we have no liquidity and thus no product to sell.
So yes, they should be one of our primary targets (the other one being merchants).
Everyone else, who is not a trader or a merchant, is not really relevant at this stage.

Offline Frodo

• View Profile
  • BitShares: frodo
I honestly don't think that traders should be our primary target audience at this point in time. The advantages we can offer are just too unimportant (in most traders eyes) compared to the worse usability and tx-fee problems.

What is BitShares really good at, that no one else can offer?
IMO UIAs in combination with smartcoins. This can be huge for crowdfunding. It has never been easier to issue your own token which you have full control over.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:17:35 pm by Frodo »

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
real traders will not trust smart coins because of the potential for black swan events.

real traders will only trust (IOU dollars) from large banks. I can't see any bank issuing dollars on bitshares in the near future
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares