Author Topic: IRC/telegram as a trollbox?  (Read 9163 times)

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I believe what we're talking about here is not about redesigning the forum but just add a simple trollbox to OpenLedger, doesn't matter if it's ugly, as long as it fills its purpose. We can make it pretty or choose another one better in the future. It only needs to work atm.

I really think it would help bring more people in and it's always useful.

What is taking so long?

I don't know. @svk was working on it, however I don't know where it stands on his priority list. Still, I believe we will have it sooner or later. At least, I really hope so. The idea can be pretty simple but I believe it can have a pretty positive result.

I'm the one who initiated all of this months ago by asking for a trollbox. It is essential to the success of any exchange. The social element is essential.

I agree with you completely. It's something simple - the idea itself - but a step in the right direction.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
I believe what we're talking about here is not about redesigning the forum but just add a simple trollbox to OpenLedger, doesn't matter if it's ugly, as long as it fills its purpose. We can make it pretty or choose another one better in the future. It only needs to work atm.

What is taking so long?

I don't know. @svk was working on it, however I don't know where it stands on his priority list. Still, I believe we will have it sooner or later. At least, I really hope so. The idea can be pretty simple but I believe it can have a pretty positive result.

I'm the one who initiated all of this months ago by asking for a trollbox. It is essential to the success of any exchange. The social element is essential.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
We could expand it a little further too.  I changed the memo key of Twitter.puppies to the same key as announce.  We could have the wallet show all transfers to any account that has that same memo key.  This way we can send messages directly to  others but still have them in our troll box.  We could automate the creation of accounts with that memo key,  and automatically create transfers from that account when typing in the troll box.  This allows responding like most other trollboxes.  Then we just need a way to ignore users.

What if I want to ignore all users who don't have beyond a certain amount of value trading on the OpenLedger exchange?

What if I want the script to say, if below x value held amount then ignore all posts?

Offline Akado

• View Profile

What is taking so long?

Offline mike623317

• View Profile
I think if you're going to do it, do it right or delay implementation until it is ready.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
OpenLedger should copy MCXNow exactly. In MCXNow you couldn't post unlimited if you didn't have beyond a certain value threshold held at the exchange. Do exactly the same for OpenLedger.

Anyone who either pays a fee or buys some trollbox tokens should be able to send unlimited messages and access all the best features. Everyone else should get 5 posts per hour and no more. If you're a frequent chatter then you'll buy the trollbox tokens to have unlimited posts.

This would discourage spam and monetize the box. It would also be very easy to implement. You could label it "basic", "premium". Or you could label it "bronze", "silver", "gold", "platinum", or whatever you want. The more a person holds in terms of value on OpenLedger the higher their membership rank should scale, the more features they can access.

@JonnyBitcoin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:02:14 pm by luckybit »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Having to pay a BTS fee to post in the trollbox is a non starter - it has to be offchain.

However it would be beneficial to login to the trollbox using a blockchain registered username.

But lets just get something quickly working in the wallet first.

It's it's cheap enough that it is like 0.001BTS then it's fine. But the way to do it is like how MCXNow did it.

Their trollbox was free but only for a certain amount of posts per hour. So give the user a certain amount of free posts in an hour and if they don't make any trades or don't pay the fee then they have to deal with the rate limit. The people who trade or who pay the fee don't have rate limits.

This way people don't feel like they are paying. They get some free posts.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

What is taking so long?

Offline Akado

• View Profile
The idea of charging for writing messages in the trollbox is ridiculous. We need to keep the blockchain capacity for transactions.
It just needs to be a simple chat box like irc

I agree. Let's not overcomplicate.

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
The idea of charging for writing messages in the trollbox is ridiculous. We need to keep the blockchain capacity for transactions.
It just needs to be a simple chat box like irc
I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
Having to pay a BTS fee to post in the trollbox is a non starter - it has to be offchain.

However it would be beneficial to login to the trollbox using a blockchain registered username.

But lets just get something quickly working in the wallet first.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
There are at least four problems with using the blockchain to make a trollbox:

1. Decoding memos is slow!
2. Paying a fee to chat would probably be unacceptable to most.
3. You'd need to unlock your wallet just to chat
4. No mod capabilities

This is why I'll most likely use IRC or XMPP..

1. Limit trollbox memos to tweet sizes like 140chars. 3 seconds is fast enough for me.
2. Pay per char like .00001BTS per char.
3. Not a big deal.
4. Why inhibit free speech? Especially if it's limited to 140 chars (per message, per minute, or whatever).
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline svk

There are at least four problems with using the blockchain to make a trollbox:

1. Decoding memos is slow!
2. Paying a fee to chat would probably be unacceptable to most.
3. You'd need to unlock your wallet just to chat
4. No mod capabilities

This is why I'll most likely use IRC or XMPP..
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
We could expand it a little further too.  I changed the memo key of Twitter.puppies to the same key as announce.  We could have the wallet show all transfers to any account that has that same memo key.  This way we can send messages directly to  others but still have them in our troll box.  We could automate the creation of accounts with that memo key,  and automatically create transfers from that account when typing in the troll box.  This allows responding like most other trollboxes.  Then we just need a way to ignore users.

+5% +5% +5%
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline noisy

that would be so awesome! :)
Take a look on: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,19625.msg251894.html - I have a crazy idea - lets convince cryptonomex developers to use livecoding.tv