Author Topic: Ultra : Redesigning the forum for the blockchain era.  (Read 9825 times)

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
Freebie has the internal technical skills required to pull this off, it seems like the forums are more and more unstable, and people are hoping for something new...

perhaps we should do a worker for this or something?

I like the idea for Ultra but I don't think it should get funded by a worker right now. We have to prioritize! First things are core technology and GUI, and also things that are really important for the usability of Bitshares (what mindphlux is doing with pool funding worker).

After the basic things are in order, we can start to think if we should fund projects like Ultra.

BTW, Ultra is a horrible name. Please choose something unique. Commonly used words are foolish as names because it's difficult to get search engine visibility.

You're in luck @Samupaha - since prioritized funding is baked right into BitShares 2.0, proposals will always be funded in order of shareholder votes.

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
Freebie has the internal technical skills required to pull this off, it seems like the forums are more and more unstable, and people are hoping for something new...

I like the idea for Ultra but I don't think it should get funded by a worker right now. We have to prioritize! First things are core technology and GUI, and also things that are really important for the usability of Bitshares (what mindphlux is doing with pool funding worker).

After the basic things are in order, we can start to think if we should fund projects like Ultra.

BTW, Ultra is a horrible name. Please choose something unique. Commonly used words are foolish as names because it's difficult to get search engine visibility.

Ultra was a weekend hack. Pretty much the result of our team talking about things and how we could further enhance communities to be governed better while ensuring individual contributors are empowered to share good content. The name in itself is subject to change. As for now, we have a few projects we are working to completion. We'll most probably slap together a better proposal and put it live before we go further with this. I agree, the name and branding needs to be worked upon.

Regards

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha

Offline fuzzy

Go for it!  Personally I've had enough time to consider the merits of your team, and I'm satisfied that you guys are legit, and capable.

Draft a proposal and if you want to wait and take any cues from Bytemaster and the Cryptonomex smart-chain brigade, their forthcoming worker proposal as alluded to on today's mumble may be a useful template, as they are certain to cover all the bases, being that they are intimately familiar with this community's... (ahem) needs. ;)

oh yes, please.  i think there is great opportunity to work for a worker proposal on this.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh

Go for it!  Personally I've had enough time to consider the merits of your team, and I'm satisfied that you guys are legit, and capable.

Draft a proposal and if you want to wait and take any cues from Bytemaster and the Cryptonomex smart-chain brigade, their forthcoming worker proposal as alluded to on today's mumble may be a useful template, as they are certain to cover all the bases, being that they are intimately familiar with this community's... (ahem) needs. ;)

Offline kuro112

CTO @ Freebie, LLC

Offline Thom

If you want to upgrade this forum, use Flarum.
+5%

S o o o o o o o o  much better than the forum software proposed by bitsaphire last summer when they took over. Clean intuitive, great hooks for extentions and social media already integrated. Let's do it!

Is crypto integrated like we are going to want?  Or the plans freebie had to actually build an exchange interface that is also added on?  Where is the voting mechanism we are going to beed to connect up to our blockchain to enable the community to validate all community votes with follow my vote?  We are going to need that to vote for our forum leaders arent we?

There are many opportunities here. People just need to look at it. I cant tell you all my plans...but i can say that it will be for helping the community first and foremost...and that many of them involve working with freebie and his team.  If you want to learn more about their stellar reputation, look to the reviews on them over at the NXT forums. We have a chance to bring them here and pay them a pretty cheap price to OWN software that the blockchain can then monetize for all of us.

We are talking forum software that could be owned by bitshares holders, integrating all kinds of amazing stuff (and seemingly everything flarum uses) that future forums would want to license (like graphene) from US. I dont see flarum doing any of this for us...

Try to think bigger, pinky :P

Btw, im not knocking flarum...this is just not the best usecase for it if we can own our own :)

I like where you're going with this, fuzzy.    +5%

This IS a great initiative, but it remains to be seen if the right parties with the right skills and drive to champion the work required to achieve the level of integration envisioned will see this and put rubber to the road to get it done.

I could be wrong but I see non-trivial technical work may be involved to pull this off and I know fuzzy doesn't have the time or technical chops to implement the level of integration I see discussed here. Most with technical skills are stretched pretty tight right now.

Never the less, I would like to see this happen and back fuzzy and anyone else that can move this effort forward with my moral support. Like bitscape I think it will be interesting to see how consensus is shaped for the effort.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline fuzzy

We definitely need a communication upgrade.. we're all over the place

I don't know what the right solution is... but yes, the need certainly exists.
It's unusually challenging to reach consensus in a decentralized network, let alone a group of people sitting in the same room together.

It seems like you are really passionate and excited about Ultra and what it could provide for us Fuzzy.  I think it's pretty intriguing myself, and I generally support the direction you want to move in.
I'm curious to see how you build consensus around this issue.  The funny thing is that our current tools make it more challenging to build consensus for a move to a platform which would allow us to build consensus more easily.  I guess that's how progress usually works.

Building a vision, and building a case, and waiting for the right timing, to launch an initiative such as this is key.

Lol...the ironies are heavily lain at thy feet good sir.

Offline Xypher

• View Profile
Interesting responses guys, keep them coming.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
+5%

S o o o o o o o o  much better than the forum software proposed by bitsaphire last summer when they took over. Clean intuitive, great hooks for extentions and social media already integrated. Let's do it!

Is crypto integrated like we are going to want?  Or the plans freebie had to actually build an exchange interface that is also added on?  Where is the voting mechanism we are going to beed to connect up to our blockchain to enable the community to validate all community votes with follow my vote?  We are going to need that to vote for our forum leaders arent we?

There are many opportunities here. People just need to look at it. I cant tell you all my plans...but i can say that it will be for helping the community first and foremost...and that many of them involve working with freebie and his team.  If you want to learn more about their stellar reputation, look to the reviews on them over at the NXT forums. We have a chance to bring them here and pay them a pretty cheap price to OWN software that the blockchain can then monetize for all of us.

We are talking forum software that could be owned by bitshares holders, integrating all kinds of amazing stuff (and seemingly everything flarum uses) that future forums would want to license (like graphene) from US. I dont see flarum doing any of this for us...

Btw, im not knocking flarum...this is just not the best usecase for it if we can own our own :)

I like where you're going with this, fuzzy.    +5%

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh

I don't know what the right solution is... but yes, the need certainly exists.
It's unusually challenging to reach consensus in a decentralized network, let alone a group of people sitting in the same room together.

It seems like you are really passionate and excited about Ultra and what it could provide for us Fuzzy.  I think it's pretty intriguing myself, and I generally support the direction you want to move in.
I'm curious to see how you build consensus around this issue.  The funny thing is that our current tools make it more challenging to build consensus for a move to a platform which would allow us to build consensus more easily.  I guess that's how progress usually works.

Building a vision, and building a case, and waiting for the right timing, to launch an initiative such as this is key.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline fuzzy

+5%

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 02:52:27 am by fuzzy »

Offline Thom

+5%

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline phillyguy

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads